1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finally a player goes off on referees - FVV FTW!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JW86, Mar 10, 2023.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Much respect for FVV! The technicals definitely seem personal, 5 out of 8 for him this year from Ben Taylor, and he did show respect for the ones trying. And that referees try to put their stamp on the game. 100% true, we've all discussed it, and I like really how he said it wasn't the reason for the loss. He's just being real about officiating, the power trip they've been on is definitely something that's been going on. All the 'beloved' and most prominent officials, even once respected, are ones who put their mark on games and made it about themselves. Certain antics, giving out quick technicals, having personal vendettas etc.

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Really surprised he was only fined $30k for that.

But it's great to hear a player tell it like it is for once.

albuster and BigShasta like this.
  3. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

very surprised it was only 30k. 15 years ago or so it would’ve been 100k alas JVG

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

SPITTIN HOT ******* FIRE!!!!

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. TimDuncanDonaut

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Hallelujah holy ****! If the NBA cleaned up the refereeing how much better of a league it would be! I watch college basketball and it’s pretty rare for refs to be terrible. Every third game in the nba showcases awful referees now. It’s been like this for too long. I blame nike, Jordan and all the money it made over the years. Stop manipulating the game, just call fouls when you see them!

WestendMassive and pippendagimp like this.
  7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

The college refs are much worse technically. The difference really is that the pro refs are just corrupt. They make less mistakes but the mistakes they do make are egregious. You can see them blatantly ignore things that are right in front of them in the replays and then purposefully forcing bad calls

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

you have the obvious rigger refs who do silver's work, but now we also have a bevy of utterly incompetent refs, and i'm sorry but most of these are recently added women. then on top of this there's probably a bunch taking direction from vegas

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

This accusation seems way out of left field. Any evidence to back this up?

Williamson and OremLK like this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

not out of left field considering lauren holtcamp is consistently voted by players as worst ref in the league (along with foster of course), and before they retired violet palmer and dee kanter held the same honor. now natalie sago and jenna shroeder are moving up to join this club. the league doesn’t make public its in house stats or punishments for zebras but they do say that only their least worst ones get to do the playoff games, especially after the first round. let’s just say that with a few tiny exceptions over the decades, the female refs have been excluded from the playoffs. i will say though that cheryl flores is actually quite good from what i’ve seen

Richie_Rich likes this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Why do you think that is? Gender does not seem like it would affect how good you are.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i dunno, perhaps there’s just a much smaller pool of female refs to choose from and therefore very few who can operate at this level. maybe female refs judge player contact differently?

btw most of the wnba refs are actually men, which does indicate a dearth of women refs out there

#12 pippendagimp, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    peleincubus likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

My son is going to start reffing lone star soccer games in austin. at his age now he can only do rec games as he gets older it will higher level select games. i am going to have to prepare him for what some parents are capable of saying. he plays on high level teams out of state etc and i have heard some crazy stuff. where as i just keep my mouth shut during games. the one caveat is if someone would be trying to hurt my kid then i would flip the switch!

pippendagimp likes this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think it’s something where you almost have to separate yourself from the setting for a couple hours, like you’re not even really physically there, but just invisibly calling what you see while ignoring all the commotion from all sides. almost like a robot. as long as he just remains calm and concentrates solely on the job it’s hard to foresee anyone ever attacking him like you mentioned. hard to hit someone who doesn’t even make eye contact with you :D

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Y'know that could be because the players and the league are still pretty sexist even if they're trying to get better, not because those refs are actually worse.

Personally I don't see it. The worst refs are some of the old hand dudes who have been terrible forever. Scott Foster jumps to mind...

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

scott foster was voted #1, right before holtcamp, thus destroying your sexist narrative :D

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't see how that destroys anything (except Foster) though, just proves Scott Foster is bad, doesn't demonstrate there's not still sexism in the league. It would actually be strange if there wasn't still sexism given how long it's been a boy's club.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

entirely your personal opinion no supporting evidence?

20. i3artow i3aller

Of all people to say this. The nerve :D:rolleyes: