1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Final roster spot - Pops or Dorsey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 16, 2009.

Tags:
?

If the final roster spot comes down to Dorsey or Pops, who do you keep?

1. Dorsey - guaranteed contract, dominant summer league

13.2%
  2. Pops - More NBA experience, and not as prone to fouling

86.8%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who ya got?

It looks like it might come down to the last roster spot being up for grabs between Dorsey and Pops.

If that happens, whom do you think has won the job, and whom has lost it?

Me? I think Pops has won the job so far, he plays better on the court and doesn't foul every 2 seconds.

Dorsey's guaranteed contract may swing the organization, but it is only 800k, so it may not matter that much...maybe he gets traded to Memphis for a future 2nd rounder....

Still...I am taking Pops.

DD

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Both. Cut Cook and take the hit...

3. tobepg

tobepg Member

If possible, I want both of them retained. Meanwhile, Barry and Cook should be waived or traded.

4. newlookrockets

we should take both, since pf/c will be in foul trouble most of the season (no yao/inside defense) . andersen/landry/scola/hayes isnt enough bodies, add pops and joey, along w/ cook, we wont have to worry about a shortage of bigs. we will have to worry about DEFENSE, thats why shane and ariza on the team . and of corse preseason means little to nothing

5. DaDakota

His $3.5 million expiring contract has a lot of value.....I think he stays until he is traded.

DD

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does it? Hmm. I think I would cut Joey and Will Conroy, and grab Rashad McCants...No matter how hurt he is...

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I say we find some way to trade Brian Cook and his contract of evil and keep them both!

8. DaDakota

!strivia

;)

Come on now, that is not an option in this black and white thread, and it was very funny you getting kicked in chat because of the trivia script.....and it killed a game I was FINALLY winning...dang it.

DD

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Both.

I remember JCF mentioned that Brent Barry won't be on the roster when the regular season starts (he answered fans' questions yesterday).

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I like Pops more, but without Brent Barry there's room for Dorsey and Pops.

I actually wouldn't mind moving Dorsey and signing Temple in his stead. Temple seems like the most solid of the non-guaranteed players I've seen, even with his minutes being brief. Nothing spectacular on the offensive side, but he plays his role well. On defense, he's done the best job staying with his man and contesting shots of all the newcomers (including Budinger/Taylor).

I think Conroy has a shot of being a rotation player elsewhere. I'd like us to pick up Temple and have him develop with the Vipers under our supervision.

11. jlwee

jlwee Member

How about Conroy? I like what I seen from him so far....

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Dorsey isn't likely to go anywhere,at least for now. Pops and Conroy are fighting for the last spot. Let's see who makes it.

13. DaDakota

True, but let's assume they keep Conroy too.

1. Brooks
    2. Lowry
    3. Ariza
    4. Shane
    5. Tmac
    6. Buddinger
    7. Taylor
    8. Scola
    9. Landry
    10. Hayes
    11. Andersen
    12. Cook
    13. Yao
    14. Conroy

15. Pops or Dorsey

DD

14. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Why???

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Temple has had one good game,Conroy has done better than him so far. I think if Pops shows improvement,he will be the last guy on the roster,primarily because of our greater need for defense/rebounding.

16. DaDakota

Uh, why post in this thread?

LOL

Teams sometimes carry 3 pt guards...we may be one of them.

DD

17. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Have to agree. Dorsey should know a lot of the plays from practice and can always be signed to a 10 day contract later in the season if the need arises. Cook is obviously the worst player on that list but as you said earlier his $3.5 mil contract will be handy for deals around the deadline or just for cap relief next season. I think it is unlikely Dorsey will get picked up elsewhere, his D-League form wasn't fantastic and except for some solid summer league games hasn't ever set the world on fire.

18. Classic

Classic Member

I think we need a 3rd point guard over an end of the bench power forward.

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

If Pops can put up decent Kelvin Cato numbers, I would be satisfied. I still don't think the Rockets should be comfortable with the center position. You need at least a little bit of experience there, especially with Yao being out. Obviously, Chuck has experience and can play that position, but height does mean something in the NBA.

20. diegot143

diegot143 Member

i think dorsey has more upside. we have groomed him and should continue to groom him he can be a dominant rebounder in the league while pops wont be able to be dominant nothing in the league just a servisable big man.