1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cloudng8, Mar 3, 2020.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, I seriously need to try it, my nephew always tells me it's actually good. So I plan on doing so, I pretty much went 1 through 7 then skipped 8, did some of 9, some of X/X-2, some of 12 and then the hallway game of 13 I absolutely quit after about a 1/3 of it (that's one I'll never go back to). I played a little of the online ones but mmo's in general were broken for me after having insane runs on Ultima Online (only the 1st few years of release, not the easy version it became), I don't know what it is but the ability on that game to get in pvp encounters at any time has basically ruined mmo's for me. I liked the Souls series for that since you always had the chance of being invaded.

With that said, I definitely want to give 8 a try, the issue for me has been mainly time, but hoping to get a shot soon. I also heard on re-release there was a way to speed stuff up, that was a major issue I had with 7 on the original playthrough way back was watching these summons that went on forever and couldn't skip (iirc)... Haha, like don't get me wrong I loved 7, but that was one thing I am glad you can fast forward now (at least I think you can from what I heard).

Yung-T likes this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's awesome for you to remember this, I want to say I encountered this once and I'm almost certain it screwed me, like reading the video description I think I got it to attack my entire party and I was already acting over confident so the game put me on my ass. At the time I was like, WTF just happened, but now... Looking back it was more of a lesson in RPGs, this was on the original nes, so no emulator help.. Had to go back to the last save.

iirc on these ones there weren't save spots in the dungeons. That's what made the final run very hard too, all 4 fiends having floors and then the final boss etc. I also soon realized on my first attempt that those boss encounters were tiles iirc so once you started the end you really couldn't go back unless you wanted to face them again (I could be remembering wrong but am almost certain), like I way underestimated this last sequence on my first try.

#22 CCity Zero, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You absolutely have to try it, it's a bit divisive (mainly due to junction system and Squall), but many ppl rank it as their favourite FF.

The remaster edition includes things like speeding up 3x, unlimited Gil+magic (which eliminates the junction problematic that some dislike) plus a no encounter option, all of these can be activated and deactivated with buttons in-game.

I rebought it for Switch, as it allows me to play randomly in short spurts whenever I feel to, as I also sometimes struggle with longer games nowadays.

If they do a full remake like with FF 7 I'd nut, the non-comic pixel paired with PS1 hardware really aged badly and the cgi scenes showed what am awesome world design they have (bright and futuristic).

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Try FF XIII-2 if you didn't enjoy the first installment, it's an absolute improvement and became one of my favourite FF games, as it's less linear and has georgeous design.

Finishing XIII-2 made me go back to XIII and enjoying it a lot more.

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man thanks so much for both suggestions, I'm going to get 8 on the Switch for sure, I honestly wasn't sure at first since I have consoles/gaming pc, but the Switch has been absolutely wonderful for playing games on limited time, love to stop/start games on it and not have to play it all in one sitting. And of course the 1st party Nintendo games.

I will definitely try XIII-2 too as well, I honestly didn't consider it after XIII, but now you have me interested.

Yung-T likes this.
  6. noize

noize Contributing Member

I loved it. It retain that same feeling I had when I first played on the original PSX. This time, the graphics are insane...holy hell, you can see specs of freckles on Clouds face. Barrett looks as intimidating as ever and I enjoy the rest of the cast and gameplay. I wasn't so sure about going from turn based to full action control but I'm glad they made the switch. Much more fun and I feel like I'm part of the action. The acting is a little cringe worthy but everything else is great. I refused a first day purchase until all episode are released. I don't like the feeling of disconnect and waiting.

CCity Zero and Yung-T like this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I usually dislike English audio for Japanese games, but feel like they did a good job here (still on the fence about Cloud tho, although this early in the game he's supposed to be cold/lifeless emotionally-wise).

Also funny af to have Badger from BB as Wedge.

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah my stepbrother and I had it happen. It killed us and that was the only time we ever fought it. Several years later I think I read about it and it said was the hardest unit in the game.

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Jessie is a real bae in this remake, btw.

[​IMG]

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I don't recall seeing it again, but definitely didn't get overconfident there - except on that insanely long part at the end - I mean it seemed long but I might be remembering it with more nostalgic thoughts. I finished it on the original nes and then later again on the psx release

11. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

You captured most of my feelings on it pretty well. I had a similar, but IMO even cooler experience with getting wiped out by a grenade, except in this case it was a sectoid mind-controlling my guy and making him drop his own alien grenade into the ship with a 0 timer. :D

My introduction to blaster launchers was also fun. I was in an alien base, and an alien sent a blaster launcher bomb around a corner (u-turn) and then up an elevator to kill one of my squads.

Just like you say, wasn't mad at all. Laughed my ass off. Not only that stuff, but I've also failed the game by going bankrupt, or like you having my base discovered and not being prepared to defend it, or getting wiped out because I only brought ballistic ammo on a mission and then finding out there were cyberdiscs who are immune to it. The way every playthrough developed so differently, and the cruel, sometimes unfair-seeming ways the game would kill you, were really what made it great.

And all of it just kinda made intuitive sense. Whereas with the new games, they try to present a really curated experience through the game, where you kinda hit the same plot-beats, play in nearly identical maps, make decisions with no real anchor to reality (why does having more staff make things cheaper? Why are there ALWAYS 3 terror sites at once? Why can't I have more than one squad?). The moment-to-moment gameplay is good but that awesome randomness and the feeling of getting the deck stacked against you and needing to overcome it, that's all gone.

I have many more X-Com stories of course but I should shut up, it's not an X-Com thread. :D

I do need to get around to playing this FF7 demo soon; I did download it but just haven't taken the plunge yet. Awhile ago I was pretty down on it when they announced the combat system would be different. But for whatever reason I've got a little optimism back. Fingers crossed that I won't disappointed.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, man!! You brought back a lot of great memories, I know not an X-Com thread but man... My early trials with the blaster launcher were insane, haha at first made a lot of mistakes but later on, man, it was just wild like having some squad stationed to open doors and have this thing go on - I want to say the full 8 points, iirc it was 8 but I might be remembering wrong but basically I'd have the launcher guys stationed back so if something went wrong - like mind control, the aliens would hopefully only hurt the guys near them and not a squad all grouped together) through a base or ship, just amazing time. Man, I'm going to have to get in the habit of playing it more often. I've had the grenade situation happen too, but fortunately not that bad (that had to be wild seeing that). Anyway, Just thinking about it all, it's definitely my favorite game, and I love a wide range of games, thanks so much for talking more on it.

Also, Have your ever tried Xenonauts 2 (I think that's the name)? I heard good things as a decent successor to the original x-com but never tried it.

And, I definitely agree- not only did this thread bring back all the great times playing x-com, but it also makes me feel a lot more optimistic about the new FF7.

#32 CCity Zero, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Did play the FF7 demo this past Sunday.

Wow on the writing, wow on the voice acting, wow on the graphics, wow on the music.

The combat? Ehhhh... I certainly don't hate all active combat systems, but this one wasn't my favorite. Admittedly part of it is the button mappings were insanely unintuitive to me (maybe they could be re-mapped and I didn't notice, or you'll be able to re-map them for full release?). That obviously would get better with time.
    But my biggest gripe was the lack of being able to do the special moves fluidly. It was menu, then pick special move option, then pick the move, then pick the enemy. That kinda thing is fine in turn-based, but in active battle it seems silly. I should be able to just whip out one of those moves quickly based on the enemy I'm locked onto, like the Tales games. Maybe there's a way to do that and I missed it? Here's hoping.
    The friendly AI also left something to be desired. In several skirmishes I was forced to play Barret, since he refused to attack the enemies that were out of Cloud's reach, instead opting to focus on the ones Cloud was already hitting. Sigh.

Maybe I'll learn to love the combat, maybe not. But on the bright side, I seriously think it's a situation where all the other aspects of the game might be great enough that they'll cancel out my feeling "meh" on the combat. I mean that's pretty much Witcher 3 in a nutshell for me.

I did buy the first Xenonauts but never got around to playing it, also heard good things. Xenonauts 2 is in early access, not sure if playable yet? But my brother's been keeping an eye on it. I will definitely be interested to see what it looks like when it does come out, seeing as the goal seems to be "take original X-Com and try to make it better while not breaking anything that made the original great".

Roomba, Yung-T and CCity Zero like this.
  14. Outlier

Outlier Member

Got the game yesterday. All i can say is WOW. I welcome the changes others might not like. Also probably the most beautiful game ive ever seen. Only downer is its its probably a 30 hour game. But everything has been amazing a few chapters in. Only thing im kinda iffy about is Barretts voice actor.

Roomba likes this.
  15. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Can't find a physical copy anywhere near me. Digital it is.

16. Aware

Aware Member

so far my only complaint is how the game goes from looking amazing to kinda crappy in some areas. also, it has that thing that 15 had where you get like the same couple of npc's to fill an area with the only difference being them wearing different clothes lol

17. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

I agree with this a ton. I am on the Sector 5 area doing the missions and the towns people look terrible compared to the sector 7 folks lol. Maybe I am imagining it but you can definitely tell the areas they spent the most time on vs others.

18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Finished the game! ****ing fantastic. Although I get why some people may have problems with the ending because it's doesn't exactly follow the plot of the original, I personally don't. I played the original VII many times and I love the story to death...and I'm totally fine with the alternate timeline thing because it doesn't interfere with the original we know and love and we have a chance to see our favorite characters react to a whole bunch of new circumstances. Don't know how to spoiler tag it so I just changed the color of the font...

19. Aware

Aware Member

the game just has some real rough looking textures. maybe its something that can get patched because it does sorta kill your immersion.
    the mirror in clouds apartment is like early ps2 ****.. everything in that room is pretty bad tbh.

pretty good game overall. i can see how some of the og f7 fans might not be happy about the path that remake is taking, but i had no problem with it. my ff is 10.

Roomba likes this.
  20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm not liking it because I really suck at it.

rusHour likes this.