1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children is "out"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Sep 12, 2005.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

So... this movie was supposed to come out like tomorrow or the next day, IIRC, in Japan. It was also scheduled to come out in the US at the same time, but that got delayed. However, due to certain circumstances similar to those that occurred with the Family Guy movie, the movie is "available," along with English subtitles (from a fan). Now, in a completely unrelated matter, a guy at my dorm somehow got a hold of the movie with English subtitles and we all had a movie night in the TV lounge. As someone who has gone through several delays of the movie, I couldn't take the temptation. :( But I will definitely buy it when it comes out here.

As for the movie itself, I loved it. I think most FF7 fans will feel rewarded with the movie. For example, without giving away too much info, the whole gang reunites at one point of the movie and it is just awesome seeing them in action. I will say that those who didn't play the game may have some issues with the movie, but screw them since they didn't play one of the best, if not the best, games ever. ;)

Also, after the movie, it was announced that my dorm will be getting a Xbox 360 for $500 (guess some sort of bundle). So I guess I'll be getting a chance to get in on some Xbox 360 action in a few months without having to spend a dime. :)

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

That's really good to hear, after that first miserable failure of a movie they tried to pass off as Final Fantasy. I just got Advent Children myself... really looking forward to watching it tonight. :cool:

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I played that first Finals Fantasy on sega. I think it was better than Zelda at the time. I spent like three months trying to finish up the last piece of that game. I skipped to Final Fsntasy VII, which was even better on PS. But I bgarely remember it now. all I remember is being on train and something blows up.

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I remember Tifa having enourmous eyes.

5. RC Cola

There was a FF on Sega? Maybe I'm just drawing a blank here, which is possible at 9 in the morning (for me), but I don't remember Square supporting Sega at all. I just remember games on the NES, SNES, the GB line, the PS1/PS2, the Wonderswan, and the PC.

There might be some plot summaries of FF7 that you can read. IIRC, I think GameFAQs should have one. You can check that out for the plot of the game, which should help you remember the game and prepare you for the movie.

I'm actually surprised I remembered the game as well as I did. Although to be fair, I normally play it again every couple of years.

Her "eyes" are still enormous and have much more detail in the movie. :)

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Where did you get if I may ask?

7. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep they were huge. My wife would come in while I was playing and she always asked why that girl had such huge eyes. I told her they made them that way to help sell the game. ;) It didn't help that I always changed her name to my wife's!

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

FF VII contains the saddest moment in video game history...i almost (that's almost :eek: ) cried. :( i think i was just too shocked to.

9. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I never could get into the Final Fantasy games.. I remember my friend always playing them along with Chronotriger (SP?) and I would just watch untill he would Level Up then I could kill him on Street Fighter.. :D

10. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

When ... she... got stabbed by Sephiroth (however you spell that name) Yeah, that was the one part of the game that would always be stuck in my mind.

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree and the music was perfect for the moment. (The whole soundtrack was awesome actually).

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I wish they would remake ff7 instead of conentrating on side projects with it.

It's a good game but

- the character models were horrid. Look at the hands. Eww, gimme chibi anyday over that.
    - translation sucked
    - ending sucked
    - at least the last 1/4 of the game felt rushed and lacking, like they scrapped stuff to push out the game

I would love to see an enhanced remake with all this stuff corrected, but I doubt it would ever happen.

ff12 looks like it'll be good though.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Here is the game I played on sega. So nevermind. It was Phantasy Star. But it was the first real role playing game I liked. Way ahead of it's time for consoles.

[​IMG]

14. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Phantasy Star II ownz!!! Go Mei!!!

Anyways, words cannot describe how jealous I am of RC Cola right about now.

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Ah, Phantasy Star. The online games are nice, but supposedly theyr'e going to make a true single player experience again.

The big RPG I'm wanting to play right now is either Dragon Quest 8 or Kingdom Hearts 2.

INteresting about the Advent Children...hmmm.....

16. Mr Boo

The rumor I heard years ago was that they had planned on remaking FFVII, but this was soon scraped due to the failure known as FF Spirits Within...but note this was just a rumor I heard.

Although FFVII didn't have the most refined story or the cleanest graphics, it was revolutionary in that it was the first FF to make it to 3D and it's still consider the measuring stick (at least for me) as the RPG to compare most of these current RPGs too. Plus the Materia and gameplay makes it really darn fun to play....and although the ending was way too short, I kinda liked it.

FFXII is the FF I've been waiting for...My hopes for that game will be really high to due to the fact that the director (or ex-director) for FFXII also did FFT and Vagrant Story (my favorite PlayStation games period).

#16 Mr Boo, Sep 13, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  17. RC Cola

That's why I like Nobuo Uematsu so much; in fact, I think he's the only video game composer I know about, other than Tommy Tallarico guy from Judgment Day (and that was by accident, not because of his work). FF3/6 and FF7 had some of the best music in the series, IMO, and coincidently, they're the 2 I like the most.

I didn't mention it, but the movie has a lot of the music from the game, usually some slight variations. So hearing these songs once again was a bit of a awesome factor of the movie as well.

It seems like the more time goes by, the more likely that may happen. Some of the latest interviews from SE made it sound like they may be open to remaking it if there was enough demand for it. As if that part would really be hard to fulfill though. It does make you wonder why Square-Enix keeps pimping their FF7 Tech Demo at several events, even ones not really about next-gen or the PS3. Maybe they were testing the crowds with it, as well as with these side projects to see if there is still interest. FWIW, a lot of people showed up to watch it last night at my dorm, which surprised me since it was pretty short notice (I barely knew about it). And everyone applauded at the end, so hopefully people will like it everywhere. And then...with a desire to reward the fans...as well as to make some money...SE will finish off the compilation with a proper remake...I hope.

18. Mr Boo

Even though it's speculation, I'll let my gf know what you think RC....when my gf saw the demo, she just about drooled thinking about a remake...

19. noize

noize Contributing Member

You guys being a little picky here don't you think?

First of all, FF7 was a first generation game on the PS1 and for its time, it was one of the most beautifull games I've ever seen. I was blown away by the pre-rendered backgrounds when I first saw them in Gamefan magazine. Sure the character looks a little blocky but its forgivin being the first FF game on the PS1 and part 8 fixes that problem. I don't know anyone whose jaw didn't drop when you the use the summoning spells like Bahamut,Ifrit and Knights OF the Round. That is some candy-eye stuff there which I didn't think possible on the PS1 hardware. The story/translation is not the best in a FF game but it's still very good and it open up for a lot of newcomers to play rpgs in which many was never a fan on the genre before. I wouldn't mind a remake with next-gen graphics and all of that stuff, but the original is good enough to play the way its especially when the music is almost flawless.

20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Perhaps, but I wont be holding my breath. FF6 and FF7 would be the only ones I would be interested in remakes though. All the earlier ones aren't good enough story-wise and all the later ones have good enough graphics to where putting it on a next gen system wouldn't be all that much of an improvement.