1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Final call: Predict the picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Walker Kessler at 26 would be a great pick to me. I'd be disappointed with TyTy though, I've seen him mocked to us a million times and I just don't see it from him. Or a need for a guard.

I would be pretty stoked about a Banchero, Beauchamp/Dieng, Kessler draft.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Perhaps I am missing some historical draft scenarios. I thought typically people mostly know who the top 5-6 players and even more so where they are going.

I haven’t paid that much attention to the draft the last decade though.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Depends on clear separation.

There is none in this draft. No Cade Cunningham or Ja Morant - Zion.

The difference between 1-4 can be cut with a razor. They all have flaws.

Jabari: 2-pt % is poor....does not create off the dribble. Too high a pick for such.

Chet: stick skinny. Health concerns. Shot about 45% from 3 as trailer (straight away 3) in
    transition but only about 32% in the half court sets. Looks good challenging HS kids & college
    players; but let's see how he does trying to block Embiid, Steven Adams, LeBron James,
    Ayton, KAT, Bam. His heart may be his downfall as he tries to challenge the big boys
    of the league......they may break his arms.

Banchero: poor 3-pt shooter Above the Break (26%). Good from corners but only
    22 attempts. Poor lateral foot speed. Poor shot blocker. Average to below average
    rebounder for his height. Too often leaking out (Corey Brewer style) or snow birding
    as he knew Mark Williams had his back doing the dirty work. Will the team that
    drafts him have Make Williams still backing up Banchero defensively?

Ivey: shot selection, can fumble the ball at times, passing while leaving the ground.
    Poor 3-pt shooting during month of Feb (18%).

All got lost defensively at times during the season (lost track of their assignments)

#43 ApacheWarrior, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Most of the time people have a good idea who the first several picks will be....but as the draft nears, talking heads ALWAYS do their best to make people think that something crazy could happen. It's just not exciting to say, well, we know exactly what the top 5 teams are going to do. Instead they put out BS about how MAYBE Orlando takes Banchero or MAYBE Houston takes Ivey just to keep the casuals guessing and build some excitement.

They know it's BS, but part of their job is building hype.

5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Not too high on Tyty either, just going by what ch44 said that if Eason is gone at that point TyTy looks to be the pick.

6. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I heard on local radio that Chet Holmgren hasn't been giving his full medical information to teams. The Magic and OKC are concerned he's hiding something. There's now rumors that The Magic and OKC will go with Banchero or Jabari Smith Jr. Damn...

7. jayfree

jayfree Member

I'm all in on huevos rancheros

Baqui99 likes this.
  8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I wonder who is telling the true

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Hope that’s just another bad radio rumor.

10. jayfree

jayfree Member

Sure... and the Rockets are reported to trade Wall to OKC for their #2 pick and get both Ivey and Banchero ;)

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I predict a shocker, no one picks any of the big three with the first 3 picks

1. Jaden Ivey
    2. Shaedon Sharpe
    3. Keegan Murray

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What I want:

3. Chet
    17. Eason
    26. Dalen Terry

None of those picks are available at those slots ....

What I think we end up with if we make all three picks:

3. Banchero
    17. Dalen Terry
    26. Jaylin Williams Arkansas.

13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Honestly I can understand how Sacramento would be unappealing for a young guy looking to build his brand. In the player empowerment era, one has to wonder if Ivey's cold shoulder towards Sac Town will cause them to pick Murray at 4 instead... or trade up or down as mentioned before.

14. Le$$

Le$$ Member

If they get the 23rd, do you think they could package 17,23,and 26 to somebody for top 10 draft and semi star player?

Wizards maybe with the 10th pick and Rui? just throwing stuff out there..

Would be sad if they trade all these picks to okc just to get bachero. Seems like a waste. I would keep the picks and just role with Chet or Ivey at #3

#54 Le$$, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Paolo
    Beauchamp
    Moore

16. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

3. Paolo
    17. Williams, then Eason if not there
    26. TyTy

17. VoR

VoR Member

#3 Jaden Ivey

OKC pulls a curveball and picks Banchero in a win now maneuver for SGA. We punt on Holmgren in fear that his body never develops and he’s Bradley the second.

#17 Deng
    Too much buzz here.

#26 surprise move trade down into second round with Memphis for Gordon and Tyus Jones and we grab Jabari Walker at #47.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I believe it is a high option and meant to be a dual win-win situation.

1) package them to move up

2) keep them (now in my scenario the Rockets probably don't want so many young add-ons
    but Jovic is used as both Euro-stash (so not on the roster) and I'm experimenting with Porter
    running as facilitator point SF this year. If Porter at point SF is a success then we plan on
    extending him.....if not Jovic gets a year of seasoning and then available to slide into that
    SF spot the following season. Of course it is all contingent on Jovic falling to #23.
    The Rockets would need to feel high on the player at #10 to give up x-amount of
    1st round picks. Does the value justify the means? Possibly if it's Mark Williams?
    He would be Capela the new and improved version. I would not feel so bad about
    drafting Banchero at #3 then. My main issue with Banchero is that he needs an
    athletic big behind him that can cover up his flaws defensively.

If it's S Sharpe at 6'5".....I would rather run Porter there. With Porter at point SF
    I believe he can average 20 points, 8 asts, 6 rebs if we add Ivey and put the Rockets
    in the configuration I've suggested of Ivey-Green-Porter-Tari Eason-Sengun.

A lineup of Ivey-Green-Porter-Sengun-Mark Williams works for me as well.
    I don't like the pace with both Sengun-Banchero but Sengun-Mark Williams
    would be ok.....and Mark Williams could cover up much of the defensive
    flaws of Sengun as with Banchero.

If you have seen my postings recently, I'm suggesting the league is trending more
    towards up tempo and using more combo guards in the lineups so that the opposing
    team can't put a lock down defender like Thybulle or M Bridges on your point guard
    and shut your team down. Multiple points of attack are opening up more opportunities.
    And combo guards are being asked to rebound and initiate the offense quicker in
    transition.

No more Wood walking the ball up the court......it's going to be "Get it and Go!!!!!!!!!
    Banchero would not be in the direction I would go. Ivey-Green-Porter would be
    more in the line with the way I think the NBA is trending. Ivey has the build to
    be a Westbrook like rebounding guard. Maybe not 10 rebounds per game but
    hopefully 5 to 6 eventually. Green is the weak link.....but as he gets stronger
    I'm hoping he can get us about 5 rebounds as well.

Add Josh Christopher and the Rockets could always have two excellent
    combo guards facilitating, rebounding and dishing out assists constantly.
    Dueling banjos for the full 48-minutes. High-octane on steroids. Not many
    teams can compete with that constant rotation and substitution of fresh
    bodies that can penetrate and drive.

*If not Jovic, could they draft Christian Koloko? Center with mobility and strength at #26.
    Not sure they could stash him in the European league for a year though? Eligibility?

19. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

1. barring a #1 - #3 trade, OKC taking Paolo #2, that leaves the Rockets landing Chet Holmgren at #3

2. Rockets trade Gordon to Philly for the #23 + D.Green and Korkmaz, select EJ Liddell at #23
    (a Sengun-Holmgren / Garuba-Liddell 5/4 rotation gives you everything you could ask: rim protection, play-making, post scoring, 3pt shooting/spacing, weak side defense, rebounding, even some perimeter defense from Liddell and Garuba, and all smart/mature/hard-working players, i meant EVERYTHING.)

3. Rockets goes all in with their remaining assets, #17 + #26 + unprotected 23' Milwaukee FRP + J.Tate + KMJr.
    for one of the #7-#9 picks. i'm hoping the Rockets can steal B.Mathurin in this range.

if we can't get to the #7-9 range or if Mathurin is off board here, maybe offer the package to the Spurs for Dejounte Murray. the Spurs are asking "Jrue Holiday-like package", that's 2 FRP + 2 FRP swaps with the Bucks that might be useless + rotation players S.Adams and E.Bledsoe. so Tate + KMJr. + 3 picks (#17,#26, unprotected 23' Bucks FRP) seems fair for both teams.
    around $20mil. expiring contracts among D.Green/Boban/Brown/Burke can be used to make the salaries work in either trades.

after the draft the Rockets roaster looks like this:
    Sengun, Garuba
    Holmgren, Liddell
    Mathurin, Mathews, Nwaba, Queen
    J.Green, Jaygup, Korkmaz
    Porter jr., Nix, (Wall)

or
    Sengun, Garuba
    Holmgren, Liddell
    Porter jr., Mathews, Nwaba, Queen
    J.Green, Jaygup, Korkmaz
    D.Murray, Nix, (Wall)

if the Rockets trade up to #1 to get Banchero then I think they keep #17 to pick Tari Eason.
    K.Martin jr., #26, and/or the Milwaukee pick will be used to trade up.

Sengun, Garuba
    Banchero, Liddell
    J. Tate, T.Eason, Mathews, Queen
    J.Green, Jaygup, Korkmaz
    Porter jr., Nix, (Wall)

this line-up is lack of spacing/3pt shooting from the front court, but the play-making is off the roof, from ALL 5 positions.

20. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Not it's not, ESPN reported that too.