1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Film} Ponyo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mateo, Aug 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

In short, I liked it. Just took my kid to see it this afternoon.

Did I feel like someone gave me some fairly high quality acid before I accidentally stepped into the Little Mermaid? At times, yes. But overall I thought it was pretty freaking amazing to watch. Of the 3 non-scifi anime movies that I have seen in the theater, I would put it below Spirited Away (which I liked enough to buy) and WAAAY above Howl's Moving Castle (which bored the living crap out of me). My daughter, who is 3, liked it but got scared by the dark waves with eyes that the sea wizard controlled.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Japanesey Little Mermaid sounds appropriate. I thought the imagination died down in the last half whereas Spirited Away was a non-stop trip.

Then again, I'm a 27 yr. old man, so I doubt Miyazaki really cares about my thoughts on his children's flick.

3. VanityHalfBlack

Love the hell out of that movie!!!! I'm wondering what would happen to Ponyo when she turns 13, the age when kids get really curious about sex...

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Is it better with the dubs? I see its a super celeb VA cast, and those are hit or miss.

5. TheBigAristotle

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I think he owns a body pillow with a ten year old cartoon girl emblazoned upon it.

7. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Liam Neeson as the Dad was weird, but considering I thought he was a woman for the first 10 minutes, I dont think any voice woulda seemed normal.

Tina Fey as the mom worked out well.

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

[​IMG]

the few pictures ive seen of those its the same sad guy, same "this is the only good thing in my life" face.

9. g1184

g1184 Member

This movie didn't make no god damn sense.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

most miyazaki films are strange

saw the japanese version 2 nights ago (i dont like dubs) and i enjoyed it. I didnt like it as much as some of his other films there was one particular thing i didnt get/understand in the movie

when the mom was talking to the sea goddess by herself away from the old ladies what exactly were they talking about? when sousoke and ponyo came later it wasnt like the mom said anything to sousoke that would hint that it was from the conversation she had with the sea goddess

11. g1184

g1184 Member

Your spoiler wasn't the only question I had:
    Why did Sousoke call his parents by their first names? The fish looked like melting marshmallows with faces. There was no real antagonist. The sorcerer was bad then good then bad then reasonable. What the hell was that magic juice and where did he harvest it from? What was the point of the water montain / ship island thing? The sea goddess had no real agenda. Why do both kids describe their mothers as "scary"? How did that sorcerer dude get with the sea goddess and why did they conceive fish? When their house, which is at th e highest point on the island, is flooded to the doorstep, why isn't everybody else dead? What the hell was that scene with the couple with the baby and why is ponyo obsessed with the child? There's no real protagonist, Sousoke had no idea what the hell was going on. Why did the sorcerer guy need to carry water with him everywhere but ponyo could use a towel? Was the "true test of love" really just a yes or no question (can you love her as a fish)?

The movie just presented a lot of stuff and explained none of it.

12. VanityHalfBlack

Because it's aimed at kids and people who are high on illegal substances.. People who have a brain and want challenging and thought provoking answer needs to watch District 9.. U seriously can't suspend disbelief in a Cartoon for christsake? A cartoon, a sketching done by ink on construction paper to say the least..