1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Figures for Goran's next contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yeah so we need to just go ahead and keep Dragic. Nothing ever comes from free cap space, all guys want to do sign and trades.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's Martin money. Right now, given a choice and having the same money (and all things being equal, although they never are), I'd take Dragic and deal Martin. While a healthy and engaged Martin can be an impact player on the offensive end, I'd rather take a chance on the upside potential 25 year old Goran has, based on his play as a starter since Kyle went down, then to keep Martin, knowing that he's a highly efficient scorer when healthy and in the right system. Dragic doesn't just play offense. Not only does he have room to grow as a point guard and on the offensive side of the ball, but he can still grow as a defender, and Dragic is an outstanding defender already.

1 person likes this.
  3. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

He's gonna get Mike Conley money. And Mike got paid base on potenal. Gragic is actually producing.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yep. PGs get less. I'd say he gets $6-8m starting. Above Mid level for sure

5. Dei

Dei Member

Still not worth that money, imo.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Scola money sounds about right at this point (5 yr, 47 mil, last year partially guaranteed with guaranteed amount increasing based on team performance). Or else perhaps a shorter contract with an option year to give both sides a chance to see how good Goran truly is in a couple of full seasons. Maybe 2 year, 16 mil with 2nd yr being player option?

7. jocar

jocar Member

Not very familiar with conditions involved in s&t's.. Really don't want to see him go, but can a sign & trade apply to Dragic if he decides he wants to play for another team? Who stands to lose in a s&t?

8. Toothless_Texan

jack gentry ‏ @jackgentry1

@Goran_Dragic I'm wearing your jersey tonight :)

9. Dei

Dei Member

The other team, if they can just sign him outright without needing to trade assets.

10. Eney

Eney Member

The numbers probally depend on interest. If Morey resigns him firtst momment possible, I think we can get him for around 6-8mill, that's probally a fair price. If he waits two things can happen, depending on interest from other teams, we either overpay or underpay. Depends a lot if we get to the playoffs and how he plays from here on out. Depends a lot aswell if Klow gets back and starts, that would drop the value of Goran a lot.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Why don't the Rockets just sign him before the offseason? They can do that right?

12. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What do you mean if Morey signs him at the first moment possible? It's stupid for him not to test the market. Houston will probably pay market value for him anyway, due to the fact that we have had such a hard time attracting FAs. It doesn't matter "when" Morey tries to sign him, he will sign with whichever team offers him the best combination of money and fit. I hope this is the Rockets.

13. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. They could have extended him before this season started, but they chose not to.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thanks.:eek:

15. Carl Herrera

He can be extended any time this season, including right now.

16. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Contributing Member

GET REAL

there is no point in having both Lowry AND Dragic on this team. these are both starting quality point guards you have here. i have a feeling that Dragic is going to be offered a substantial offer sheet from another team, and houston is going to have a difficult time matching.

Utah is one team that REALLY wants this baller.

17. Anthony314

Anthony314 New Member

First off, I'm drinking the Dragic Kool Aid- I freely admit that. But I am also aware its been 17 starts. In those 17 starts however you can make a case he has been the best PG in the NBA. 18 ppg, ~9 apg, 53% fg, 44%3p% ~2spg. There are pg's scoring more(rose,westbrook) but not near his efficiency. There are pg's distributing the ball more(rondo,nash) but they aren't the aggressive scorer that Dragic is. Westbrook,Rose,Paul,Parker are all having good years but give Goran his due for these 17 games he does not have to concede anyone pg's play has been better than his.

That said whoever sign's him is taking a risk/leap of faith that these numbers are the real deal which *should* lower his price somewhat. I would guess it ends up 7.5M-10M per year. Teams likely to compete for him: NJ(if Deron leaves), Portland, New Orleans, Phx(if Nash leaves), maybe Toronto or Sacramento. These teams have the cap space and possible need/interest.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't care what anyone says but Morey won't pay Goran more than $7 million per. Won't happen. He'll go after Deron Williams and just let Goran walk if his market value is over $9 million.

You don't cap strap your franchise that doesn't even have a franchise player by giving a star contract ( double figures per) to a point guard.

19. Carl Herrera

Hey, everyone, look at ****ing Morey insider over here!

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yup, especially when you already have a capable PG in Lowry that gets paid way less. Having Both Lowry and Dragic at like 15 mil per year or higher is redundant and doesn't improve the team.