1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Figures for Goran's next contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Apr 7, 2012.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

We didn't think we needed to. Lowry seemed like our PG of the future and no need to pay a lot for a backup.

Now Dragic has stepped in and looked better making us re-consider.

2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

wow you dont know basketball.

have you watched the last 2 celtics playoffs?

the guy gets steals, assists, rebounds, defends, drives to the rim, starts fast breaks, controls the tempo.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think with Deron, Lopez, Wallace, Gordon all out there as marquee free agents, teams will be lining up offers to those guys.

If the Rockets go straight to Dragic, they might be able snag him for 5-6 million. If other teams get a chance to bid, it could go up to 7 or 8. Anything over 8 and I think you have to let him walk, unless you trade Lowry. 15 per year for multiple years is too much to spend on a position for a team rebuilding imo.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There are currently 60 NBA players making $10m or more. I'm pretty sure Goran's agent knows that.

s i x t y

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Indeed. + McHale. There's something happening with this team, they've got the tenacity, and some of the court smarts, if not yet all of the talent, of the mid-80s celtics.

Now, we just need to find our Big Chief, and, uhm...Larry Legend (Parsons is the McHale of this team).

6. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, I think you should read my post above this one. I don't have the edit option. In my original post I mentioned that it's much better to sign Dragic than to pay $100 million to Deron and gut the team.

7. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

easy, we pay whatever we need to!

trade Lowry along with MartinMarcus Morris and Scola and just imagine the superstar level talent we'd net in return!

with Sergio Lull and Donuts coming over next season and the drat pick(s) we are in incredible shape going forward

Id be really upset if we lose Dragic, hes the real deal.. not afraid of the moment and will come thru in the clutch, just ask tony parker and the spurs

8. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

How much are the Rockets willing to pay to a player they desperately tried to deal this season because he will be a UFA?

9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Trade all of that execpt Scola to draft Thomas Robinson.

Gotta Keep Scola he is they only player from the Yao and T-mac era left on our team and he plays at a very high level.

10. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

And many of those players are average 7 footers.

11. lalala902102001

I love what Goran has done since he became a starter, but the worst thing we can do this summer would be overpaying for Goran. He is not an all-star and should not be paid more than 7-8 million dollars a year.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Doesn't mean he won't be. Remember Lowry was under serious consideration before he hit a wall and sunk his chances. If dragic's putting up almost identical numbers, why wouldn't Dragic have a good shot at it? Also, Dragic's doing it with less experience, so it's not a reach to say he still may improve. Even a really small improvement makes him a 20 and 10 player. Only 3 other players in the league put up more than 18 and 7:

chris paul
    steve nash
    tony Parker

Plus, he's been incredibly clutch as well.

13. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I've seen enough to think that Goran will be an all-star in the future. The guy is basically the PG version of Manu Ginobili minus the flopping. Pay him what it takes to stay in Houston. We can't let Gogi walk.

14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

4yrs/32M is what I'd be willing to pay...

4yrs/38M-40M is what he's gonna get... imo

15. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

We also need to remember that there is no elite level PG in this year or next year's draft. You overpay for post players and PGs. Dragic has potential to be a max level player, so it's pretty hard to "overpay" at this point. We probably got lucky due to a shortened season. Imagine if he did this the whole year.

16. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

If he gets 38-40M, that's a bargain. I'm pretty sure it will take 5 full years at $10 per to get him. However, if we can get one of those deals above, Morey is king.

17. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Lowry has been my favorite player since yao went down, that being said...what goran has done as a starter is just amazing and if he shows up in the playoffs, you gotta keep him even if it means trading lowry.

18. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

And if Llul and DMo become big time BUSTS, then we are screwed for years to come

19. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Just for comparison sakes, Jose Calderon signed a 5 year $45 million deal in 2007 averaging 13 pts and 9 assists per game. This was considered market value for him at this time. Now, you tell me that Dragic doesn't deserve more than him. Jameer Nelson signed a 5 year $35 million deal in 2007 also, averaging 13 pts/4asts per game. His best season was 16.7pts/5.4asts per game. Anything less than $10 million per is a great deal. Get real guys.

20. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

We won't. If we have Dragic, Lee, and Parsons as our main pieces, with Camby/Dalebert holding the fort for a few years, we'll be fine. This does not even include Lowry, Scola, Martin, Morris, Patterson, Bud + draft picks. We can definitely upgrade 2 positions.