1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Figures for Goran's next contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Apr 7, 2012.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

no probably not but he probably will demand it on his next contract if he maintains this level of play.

2. Pete the Cheat

I wouldn't mind that problem in 4 to 5 years...

3. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

"i like it" ;)

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

He meant if Dragic plays like that for the rest of the season.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

not necessarily. No matte how good Dragic does the rest of the season, front offices are not just going to throw max money at a player untill they see a full season of similar production. He can very well just blow up in the playoffs. Maybe then there might be a discussion for max money.

6. Pete the Cheat

Even Steve Nash didn't receive max money when he left the Mavs...

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Whatever the market bares, that is what we should pay him, teams that are truly building to be a contender, pay their guys, and find a way.

Goran is our best player right now, and he is the best PG this team has had in years, maybe ever.....

You lock that guy up, if it takes $10 million, it takes that....you do not let possible elite level talent walk out the door, you do everything you can to make him happy, because that makes the Rockets better.

DD

8. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he can sustain this type of play for 1-2 seasons, then sure, he's close to MAX level player, no doubt. Remember, Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay both got max level deals, and I'd take Goran over both of them. I agree with some posters above in saying that no matter how well he finishs the season, GMs just aren't going to give him close to MAX level money based on half a shortened season.

I think based on his play and the new CBA rules, I would predict that he gets 5 years at $40-50 million. However, I'm willing to go 5 years $60 million if this is needed. Yes, we are overpaying. But guess what, we don't have to gut the team for a 5 year $100 million. I'd rather have Goran at $12 million per, with Lowry + Scola + Martin+ 3 picks to upgrade at the 2 or 4.

9. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Meant to say gut the team for a 5 year $100 Deron Williams.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

This.

Too many teams with cap and a need at PG (Portland, Dallas if Deron says no, NJ if Deron bolts, Phoenix if Nash bolts to Miami or LA, Charlotte, New Orleans).

The way Dragic has been playing, there is no way you can convince me that he is not at that level.

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Because Deron is going to want to join a gutted team?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Rox should match whatever anyone else is willing to pay and add that extra guaranteed year.

DD

13. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Did we ever think about re-upping him last offseason before he became unrestricted (and hit beast mode)?

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

No, we shouldn't. We have to wait to see what other teams have in mind. I would draw the line at 11ish assuming we could move Lowry at some good value. Hopefully, we can get it done around 8-9.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I was thinking 8-9 earlier, but this last week he's put himself closer to 10-11 range...

I feel like there's no way we pay him that. Hopefully I'm wrong.

What's the official date when teams can trade players again?

16. conquistador#11

6.5 million euros. pay the man, ric. I mean maury!

17. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

I want him back, but don't overpay him. Regardless of what you may think of him, he IS in a contract year and he has every incentive to play hard. He can make a better case for himself if he takes us to the 2nd round in the playoffs.

7-8 mil is fair, I wouldn't go above that. Definitely do not pay him double what Lowry makes, he's not that much better.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Right now I think he's looking at Scola money if he keeps this up the rest of the season. That goes down if his performance goes down, it goes up if he shows up big time in the playoffs.

19. darmor90

darmor90 Member

I don't get the sentiment that we must trade either Lowry or let Goran walk. Why not keep them both? Just because other teams don't (can't) run a starting lineup of two pgs, doesn't mean can't. I think it would be innovative to start both of them and build around our back court of Lowry, Dragic, and Parsons. Let's be pioneers of the NBA, rather than trying to follow other ways.

Also, both Lowry and Dragic have some sg to there game. Just watch whenever they play together. I hope we sign Dragic and I have faith that our FO will.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

if you look at non-rookie contracts, it looks like the average and median amount of money it costs for a win share so far this year is about $2.8 million/WS**. dragic has 3.9 WS so far which works out to him playing like a $10.92M player. if you do it by WS/48, he is playing like about a $10.1M player. of the course the nba is a place with a lot of overpaid guys so that average rate isn't necessarily a winning rate so we probably shouldn't gun for the $10-11M range. by contrast, lowry is getting paid $1.28 million/WS, which makes him a great value (and that's only playing 70% of the season, which makes his value even better). on the one hand, losing dragic for nothing would suck. and maybe kyle and his great contract has a ton of value we could trade to add around dragic at a fair contract. but maybe it's a mistake in a harder salary cap environment to ever give up a contract like kyle's if you have to pay fair value or more to keep dragic.

i'm not sure either can play sg at the end of games for a contending team and at this point in their careers they are both too good to be happy sitting on the bench at the end of the game watching the other play (although if one of them can handle it, then i don't have a problem keeping them both). so it's hard to say what to do.

**the two best values in terms of $/WS? steve novak and gerald green, two former rockets. nice to see green getting minutes, even on a terrible team.

#40 francis 4 prez, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.