1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fight in Detroit

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by xaos, Dec 28, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

By your "logic", anyone who "starts something" can be murdered?

VanityHalfBlack and foh like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Depends how you started it. If you started something to that extreme then yup

YaoMac09 likes this.
  3. foh

foh Member

you could say that the guy forcing the other guy to dive for the ball is "starting something" too. it's a game between two losing franchises - not a playoff. Diving for loose balls can cause injury too.

Punching someone in the back of the head does not compare to a hip shove of somebody who was already prepared to dive for a ball.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hope Hayes has been taking Chinese lessons.

edwardc and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  5. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

You know how this situation could have been entirely avoided?

If Dirty Wagner didn't shove Hayes in the first place. Stop defending the perpetrators. Just like b****-ass Morris deserved the retaliation from Jokic. This reeks of people complaining that footage of Draymond assaulting a man was leaked rather than demonizing the act itself.

"You get what you ****ing deserve!"

6. VanityHalfBlack

diving for loose balls and a hit check to the benches is really not that extreme lol. Have you ever seen a hockey player get tackled into glass? NHL>NBA.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

I didn’t bring up that hypothetical i responded to and it wasn’t what I was thinking when reading that post.

Clearly when the post mentions murder, I responded with if it’s to that same level of extreme. No where does it say this incident is to that level

nhl tackles is part of the sport. What happened in that incident last night isn’t. That’s just called being dirty

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Maybe not KO'd but certainly it rocked him hard, seems like Hayes's little forearm wrist hit put him away, but the bump did seemingly do the most damage.

VanityHalfBlack and mikol13 like this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hayes pushed Wagner with his forearm. It's not like he wound up and punched him. Wagner shoved Hayes while Hayes was running full speed and had no safe landing zone. That is much more likely to lead to injury than what Hayes did in retaliation.

They should both be suspended. But Wagner's act was worse to me because it was more likely to lead to an injury. Plus, Wagner is pretty damn big. He has a significant size advantage on Killian Hayes. That is relevant.

10. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I agree I am just curious if he was somehow knocked out? Didn’t look like a big enough impact but he sure folded. Maybe he was taught to feign dead when fights break out?

red5rocket likes this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm on team Hayes. Wagner's push was a b**** move that could have hurt Hayes badly. Wagner thought he could get away with it without any retaliation. It's not like Hayes was rearing back with a steel chair to Wagner's head. He went to push him back and hit the back of his head.

Honestly, if you are gonna get folded up with a push/hit like that from a smaller man then maybe you shouldn't be starting **** in the first place like Wagner did.

YaoMac09, YOLO and red5rocket like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Damn. That mean they forfeit the next game? Wonder what Darrell Armstrong and Bo Outlaw are doing. Maybe they could give it a go for a game. Jameer Nelson and Dwight Howard.

J.R. likes this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Alice At The Palace

grape and Salvy like this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

TIL Wagner committing a flagrant 1 results in a 2 game suspension. Also learned elbowing someone in the back of the head, in the NBA, is only a 3 game suspension.

Finally, I learned people on CF think an elbow to the back of the head is less criminal than a push out of bounds. Like, huh???

Hayes did not "push" Wagner with his forearm - Diallo did. Hayes then immediately elbowed Wagner in the back of the head afterwards. If you still wanted to argue that Hayes simply pushed Wagner, then you could literally argue that Wagner also pushed Hayes with his forearm. It was a push out of bounds with a forearm - not a shove at all. With your outcry about shoving and injury potential, it's as if Wagner had 100% leverage and used both hands to shove Hayes with all his might. Which is clearly not the case.

The incident happens at 0:40 in the video, referenced above, if you need to watch it again.

How in the world is a push out of bounds going to lead to injury moreso than a targeted elbow to the head/neck area? You're gonna have to explain that one to me, because I don't get it.

Not sure you can argue "no safe landing zone" as Hayes landed into padded seats and a teammate. You're acting like Hayes was due to land on cold concrete or something.

Not condoning what Wagner did at all nor am I defending him or his actions, but Hayes should expect some resistance to the opposition running alongside you for a loose ball and after he got pushed, he had some time to brace himself. If he didn't, he would have been launched into the advertisement table, instead of the empty bench.

"I went to retaliate and push him back, but oopsies, I accidentally elbowed him in the head instead! Silly me!" <- That's not going to fly for an explanation, especially since, as you pointed out, there's a clear height difference. It was a purposeful and targeted elbow to the head/neck area of Wagner. Pushing Wagner back, at Hayes' height, would be pushing Wagner in his chest area.

You two are wildin' for defending Hayes.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I already explained it. Hayes was running full speed, and Wagner has a significant size difference in his favor. A smaller person running full speed getting pushed over is more likely to lead to injury than a smaller man pushing a larger man who is being hugged.

I also never defended Hayes. I said he should be suspended.

Lastly, back in my day, people took much more vicious forearm shots to the head and we didn't throw a big fit about it.

#56 Haymitch, Dec 30, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    robbie380 and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Finally, y'all are interested in an NBA game. :D

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

If not he will need to start soon .

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

White boy, do not push a Detroit brother out of bounds, especially into his own bunch, lest ye get clocked in the melon as ye did.

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You'd think watching a sport being overrun with flopping, people would be able to spot a flop.