1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fight Freaks] This Weekend's Boxing Lineup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by what, Mar 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

What I mean by nobody wants it with him, as in nobody wants to fight the guy, nobody is callling him out, not that nobody can pose a challenge for him.

I think you are thinking of Zbik, not Pirog. Zbik was Martinez's mandatory and it wasn't Martinez who didn't want it, it was HBO that didn't approve it, so instead of just saying **** it and fighting Zbik anyway he would have much rather made more money by fighting Dzinzurik. Well, I guess it kinda was Martinez that didn't want it, but it was because of money. The outcome would have been similar though.

Zbik is going to fight Chavez Jr. in June though, so my guess is, he will probably beat Chavez unless he's bought off, and my guess is he will be. This is Chavez's first world title shot.

#21 bladeage, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. what

what Member

No, I'm thinking of Pirog:

Lou Dibella laughs off Dmitry Pirog as prospective opponent for Maravilla

Lou Dibella of Dibella Entertainment has silenced demands for a fight between his fighter Sergio Martinez and WBO middleweight king Dmitry Pirog.

In a recent boxingscene.com article, Dibella said a fight between WBC middleweight king Martinez and Pirog "doesn’t make any sense” because Dibella doesn’t perceive Pirog as a winning draw, or a fighter that will bring a lot of money and fans to the table.

Dibella said: "I'm the promoter. I've been told by my fighter that he's got two years left [before he retires.] I'm not fighting guys who don't bring 50 cents to the table. [Pirog] doesn't make any sense.”

“But we'll fight anybody who wants him and anybody who HBO will pay the money [for] him [to] fight. We're not running from anybody. I'm not running to go and fight 168-pounders, that's absurd. But in terms of 160 to 154, we'll fight anyone,” Dibella confirmed.

Dibella and Martinez are basking in the celestial lights of boxing highest echelons following Martinez’s stunning knock-out of Paul “The Punisher” Williams this weekend.

The bout, which took place in Atlantic City, was expected to be a throwback to their first fight, a twelve rounder that could have gone either way.

It didn’t, though, and Williams sneaked by with a close decision even as many felt Martinez landed the cleaner, more impressive shots.

Dibella has given every indication that following Martinez’s new-found superstar status, he will no longer bend to the demands of other camps or even the broadcasting networks, without which professional boxing probably wouldn’t exist today.

Dibella said recently to FanHouse: “They [HBO] knew, and we told them, that we were going to make ourselves the A-side of negotiations after this fight.”

He further berated having to settle for unfair terms with Williams, and said that the broadcasting companies would now pay for earlier injustices. “They [HBO] are going to pay for it because he [Martinez] is a star. He's a star now.”

3. what

what Member

By contrast, here's what Pirog has to say:

By Jason Kim: Newly crowned World Boxing Organization middleweight champion Dmitry Pirog (17-0, 14 KO’s), fresh off his impressive 5th round stoppage of top American contender Daniel Jacobs (20-1, 17 KO’s) last weekend, he now is looking to take on the best fighters in the middleweight division.

In an interview at East Side Boxing’s On The Ropes Boxing Radio program, Pirog said that he wants to fight top middleweights Sergio Martinez and Kelly Pavlik to take advantage of his impressive win over Jacobs. Pirog says “I feel like I’m ready for any fighter. I want to fight Sergio Martinez, I want to fight Kelly Pavlik or anybody in the category that will want to fight me. I’m ready or anybody and I really hope I can fight on HBO and impress my fans gain. I hope that I made an impression.”

A fight against Martinez or Pavlik would be a great fight right now if Pirog could get it. But even he couldn’t, it would still be interesting to see Pirog take on someone like top contenders Gennady Golovkin, Hassan N’Dam N’Jikam or Paul Williams. I think Pirog would do well against those fighters. I’m not sure if he could match the high punch out-put of Williams, but his hand speed, better power and defensive abilities would be a big problem for a fighter like Williams.

4. bladeage

Well same thing that happened with Zbik, there was no money. I don't blame Maravilla for doing that at this point in his career.

5. what

what Member

I don't either, because if he loses to a lesser name he ruins his changes for a big fight. The problem is that I don't see Pac accepting a fight with him. Sergio is WAY too big for pac to handle. So Sergio doesn't have any marquee fights out there, so he took the least competitive fight he could to make sure that he wouldn't lose so that he could get a chance at a big fight. The biggest name out there for a megafight would be Mayweather, but we all know that this fight ain't gonna happen.

6. bladeage

It is more likely for Mayweather to move up to 154 to fight Martinez than it would be for Pac. Manny's camp would make Martinez drain down to like 147 or nothing over 150, so they could have the advantage. But yeah, like I said, nobody wants to fight this guy. He should fight someone like Angulo, just because that fight would make some money, then maybe move up. From 154-160, nobody is ****ing with him.

7. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I wish Pacquiao wasn't so small. Martinez vs. Pacquiao fight would be a classic fight. Both have tremendous power and speed.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Martinez is the number 1 p4p fighter in the sport right now. He deserves that spot with his recent string of wins. Pavlik, PWill (ko of the year) and now a stoppage of Dizzy whom nobody looks good against. Floyd isn't fighting and the only guys Manny fights now are guys who are coming off losses. Guess we'll be seeing manny vs. Floyd's ex girlfriend laster this year.

Sergio is a beast

1 person likes this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Seems like there are so few fights now. Friday Night Fights is showing reruns from years ago.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Last night on HBO was a great night of fights. Sergio is a machine! He might be my favorite fighter now. Crazy to think that this dude didn't even step into a boxing gym until the age of 20. Would love to see him fight Floyd or Manny, but I really don't see either of them moving up for that. Way too much of a risk for either of them.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Well, yeah. Pac was fighting Magarito weighing 145-ish on fight night and I think the most he ever weighed on fight night was about 150 (for Clottey?), Martinez rehydrated to 170 last night. Any non-weight-raighd version of Martinez is just too big for Pacquiao.

12. what

what Member

ESPN3 will carry Dmitry Pirog's next fight this saturday!

Dmitry Pirog vs. Javier Maciel

13. what

what Member

ESPN3 will carry the Dmitry Pirog vs. Javier Maciel fight, this Saturday!

14. what

what Member

Hell of a fight going on on espn3. Pirog up next.

15. what

what Member

Ready to see the next sugar ray leonard.

16. King1

Pirog looked terrible

17. bladeage

Pirog would get his ass handed to him by any of the elite middleweights if he fights like that again. His style probably just made for a bad matchup with Jacobs which is why he looked so good against him. I dunno man.. Pirog sucked balls today.

I bet Andy Lee can beat this cat.

18. King1

The long layoff likely had something to do with it. He was dreadful in there. Danny should have never been in the ring in all honesty. He had to break camp multiple times when his grandma fell ill, and if it wasn't for the fact that it was a major belt co headlining a PPV, he would have pulled out.

I think pirog would beat Lee. lee is one of the names being looked at for Danny

#38 King1, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  19. what

what Member

Yup, you're right. I didn't see the hungry pirog in there at all. He was coasting. Not sure what to make of it, but i was extremely disappointed in his performance, and I even said that this isn't the kind of performance you have if you want hbo to match you up with the bigtime names in your division. Pirog didn't inspire confidence.

20. King1

It was weird to see. They need to keep him more active. Even if HBO or Showtime doesn't pick him up, he needs to be fighting at least 4 times a year. He's got the talent and the skills. I think he's much better then that performance but we'll have to see what he does in his next fight