1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIFA Officials Facing Federal Corruption Charges

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tellitlikeitis, May 26, 2015.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How the hell do you know what I do? You're assuming a lot about me here, Swoly.

You're so stupid that you are putting words in my mouth. Did I suggest that rich white nations get votes over minority nations? No. I said that if you qualify for the World Cup, you get a vote. Guess what that would mean? That means that Ivory Coast, Ghana and Nigeria get votes. It would mean that Japan, Honduras, Iran and Ecuador get votes. It would mean that you made it through qualifying, you'd get a say in the direction of the next few World Cup cycles.

And notice: nowhere did I suggest funding be cut off for federations in small countries. Tell me: why should Mexico and Comoros get the same exact amount of money out of each World Cup. How is that proportionally fair?

1 person likes this.
  2. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Also, thanks for not adding your own ideas, at all, on how you would reform FIFA, Swoly.

You're contributing to this thread about as substantially as you contribute to the Hangout these days.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Haha. Like that changes anything? ^ Of course. No one likes it when truth is put in their faces.

If you would have already done the things you say I "put in your mouth", you would say "I have done this that and this", but you didn't. You haven't denied nor accepted that you've done more than whining about it on a forum. "Maybe" you have... but how do we know? Hey, I don't complain because I love the sport and until that's changed up at the top, I am not by any means about to change their rule.

Also, I never said anything about rich white nations. Stop putting words in my mouth, man. I said "any country part of the FIFA gets a vote." Straight up FAIR. Mexico and Comoros should get the same amount of votes because it's fair that way. :eek: USA doesn't even care about football, man.

USA only cares when it doesn't get a seeding or when it doesn't get the bid for a World Cup. That's the only time they get involved, when their interests aren't met. Hello, washed up international players who come to the MLS to end their careers. That's the only time USA cares for them, too. :eek: Where are the "corruption" threads or mentions? Only until USA didn't get what they wanted. Boo hoo!

AroundTheWorld, if the rules for votes were for "popularity in that country", USA would drop dramatically. :grin:

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Are you saying he takes a contrarian position on any given subject and adds nothing substantive to the conversation? Not swoly...

2 people like this.
  5. SwoLy-D

^ :rolleyes: Of course. Attack the person, instead of the situation. Like THAT adds something...

Anyway, this situation is what we have in common as footballers, nothing more. AND, if I'm going to give you a reason on something of which I know nothing about, I will learn through the discussion. For this, it's already set: you don't get involved unless you don't get something... USA, FBI, and y'all. :eek:

6. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Moron:

Yore ****ing exhausting.

7. mtbrays

Supporting Member

You're*. Sorry about that, just owning up to my mistakes.

8. SwoLy-D

Are insults the way to try to get your last point in? :confused:

Do you not have anything else but to resort to try to use those words? Then, yes, we are done, aren't we?

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

He knew as President he would have to show up in Chile and Canada. Two countries that would have no qualms extraditing his ass to the States. Now he can do his final farewell tour among his African and Arabian peninsula friends.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="fr" dir="ltr">Champagne.... <a href="http://t.co/1S8shEcN6E">pic.twitter.com/1S8shEcN6E</a></p>&mdash; John Oliver (@iamjohnoliver) <a href="https://twitter.com/iamjohnoliver/status/605800436440768513">June 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. SwoLy-D

^ That's already been posted before, man. :eek:

:cool: Scala's remarks:

[rquoter]REMARKS BY DOMENICO SCALA, INDEPENDENT CHAIRMAN AUDIT & COMPLIANCE
    COMMITTEE

Before I begin, I would like to thank the President. The decision that he has made today was
    difficult and courageous. In the current circumstances, this is the most responsible way to ensure
    an orderly transition. I know that he has truly acted with the best interests of FIFA and football
    in his heart.
    I have a great amount of respect for the President and the role that he has played in
    championing reform within FIFA. As he has recognised, we have worked hard to put in place
    governance reforms. But this has not been enough.
    By making this announcement, he has created an opportunity for us to go further than FIFA has
    before – to fundamentally change the way in which FIFA is structured.
    As the independent Chairman of the Audit and Compliance committee, I am committed to
    working to facilitate the implementation of the reforms that the President has outlined and to
    putting in place the conditions for the election of a new President.
    As the President has stated, these reforms will include fundamental changes to the way in which
    this organisation is structured – steps that go far beyond the actions that have been
    implemented to this point. I would like to provide you with additional details into the process
    that FIFA will follow moving forward.
    Under the rules governing FIFA, the election of the President and any fundamental reforms to
    the FIFA statutes must be voted on by the Members at the FIFA Congress. The next FIFA
    Congress is scheduled for May 2016 in Mexico City. As the President has stated, this would be
    an unnecessary delay. In order to facilitate more immediate action, the President will ask the
    Executive Committee to organise an Extraordinary Congress in order to elect the new President
    and vote upon these reforms.
    Based upon the FIFA statutes, a four-month notice is required for any presidential elections to be
    held. FIFA must also consider appropriate time to vet candidates and allow them to present their
    ideas for the organisation that set forth their vision. Therefore, while the decision on timing of
    the Extraordinary Congress and election of a new President will ultimately be up to the Executive
    Committee, the expectation is that this could take place anytime from December of this year to
    March of next year.
    For years, FIFA has worked hard to put in place governance reforms, but as the President has
    stated, this must go further to implement deep-rooted structural change. The President has
    outlined a number of specific recommendations to achieve this. A number of these steps have
    previously been proposed but have been rejected by Members. Today more than ever, FIFA is
    committed to ensuring that these changes are implemented and upheld.
    As part of FIFA’s work, the organisation will re-examine the way in which it is structured. While
    it would be premature to speculate on the outcomes of this work, nothing will be off the table,
    including the structure and composition of the Executive Committee and the way in which
    members of the Executive Committee are elected. I expect this to be an important aspect of
    ongoing reform. As I said a year ago, the structure of the Executive Committee and its Members
    are at the core of the current issues that FIFA is facing. Current events only reinforce my
    determination to drive this reform.
    Many of the issues that have been raised in the past relate to the actions of individuals. In order
    to ensure that those who represent FIFA are of the highest integrity, FIFA will seek to implement
    FIFA-driven integrity checks for all Executive Committee members. Such a reform was previously
    proposed by the Independent Governance Committee but was rejected by the Confederations.
    Today these checks are the responsibility of the confederations to which these members belong.
    This must change. Confederations actions must be consistent with their speech.
    While FIFA operates in line with all applicable laws and international accounting standards, FIFA
    recognises that many have questioned the transparency by which FIFA operates. To address
    specific calls, FIFA will seek to publicize the compensation of the President and the Executive
    Committee Members and will propose term limits for the President and Executive Committee
    members.
    FIFA is fundamentally committed to change and are determined to address the issues that
    continue to undermine FIFA and football more broadly.
    Today, the President communicated his decision to all 209 Members. Now is the time for FIFA to
    move forward. There is significant work to be done in order to regain the trust of the public and
    to fundamentally reform the way in which people see FIFA. These steps will ensure that the
    organization cannot be used by those seeking to enrich themselves at the expense of the game.[/rquoter]Yeah, that means CHANGE. A president as close as December of this year, or as far as March of next year.

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

In the immortal words of George Carlin:

1 person likes this.
  12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Very good. Blatter was a corrupt idiot.

That being said I do not see anything change in FIFA. We will get a new Corrupt idiot.

I am curious of Van Praag will run again. He said the only reason he ran was because anything was better than Blatter.

I like the idea of revenue being divided by number of members of the national football associations.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

ADIOS SEPP

no appreciation thread here

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

CONMEBOL and OFC would love that. But something doesn't seem right when Brazil would get the same amount of money as a Cook Islands or Papa New Guinea for example.

Of course CAF and AFC, as the largest confeds, would hate it.

15. SwoLy-D

This is what I've been trying to tell these people but since you said it instead of me, I guess they will listen to you. :eek:

16. leroy

I do realize now why the mexican fans are so quick to bash the US as doing this because we lost the World Cup. There are many that believe Blatter's revenge against the US would've been giving the 2026 WC to mexico when they vote for it in 2017. Naturally, Blatter being gone is bad for that cause.

17. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I'd never heard that speculation. I'd read, I believe in SI, that Blatter's goal was to break into China with 2026 and then retire into his own kind of sunset. China's the holy grail for all international sports and I'm sure FIFA has designs on how to host a World Cup there for the first time.

18. leroy

That would make 3 in Asia before CONCACAF got another. Seems fair.

19. SwoLy-D

[​IMG]

:eek:

20. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Mexico hosting any major soccer competition is as ridiculous as Qatar hosting the WC. Of the 21 friendly matches Mexico has played and will play for the years 2014 and 2015 guess how many are being played in Mexico and how many are being played in the USA. 8 in Mexico and 13 in the USA.

I can hear slowly now "They are playing in the USA for their fans who live here!" Yeah, sure slowly, keep telling yourself that.