1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIFA Officials Facing Federal Corruption Charges

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tellitlikeitis, May 26, 2015.

1. Buck Turgidson

This investigation has been ongoing since 1991.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

On a sidenote Blatter has been playing Game of Thrones and he is winning

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

LOL at you guys all up in arms against Blatter. I trust you guys were making as much noise and even more disgusted when Blatter's eviler mentor Joao Havelange was in charge?!?! Or maybe you were not yet "soccer" fans?

Be honest, if the USA really cared about the health of the game and FIFA why didn't they bring down Joao Havelange who was probably the most corrupt FIFA leader of all time? Why the sudden interest and caring in the worlds game?!?! Because they're PISSED OFF!!!, and I don't blame them. Good on them but let's not act like the 2018/2022 result had nothing to do with this sudden interest. Just be honest.

Trust me when I say, I missed 1994 (broke high school kid) and would LOVE a chance to see another WC at home so I can actually attend games this time. A WC is on my bucket list and a WC home makes that much more attainable for all of us.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What are the odds that had the UK and USA been given 2018 and 2022 that there would've been no investigation? 100%. That's because those were the events that were supposed to happen and not the out-of-the-blue Russia and Qatar bids. The only logical reason why those 2 won was corruption. Had the actual favorite to host won, it would likely be because they were actually the best candidates. It would have raised exactly 0 eyebrows had it been the UK and USA. Even if there was shenanigans, it would've likely gone unnoticed. But because FIFA was so incredibly stupid and greedy, they made it patently obvious that they weren't even going to try and hide the corruption any more and award those two cups to the 2 least obvious and worst possible choices.

But the U.S. DOJ doesn't give 2 s***s about soccer. Lynch was presented with evidence of crimes committed on US soil and took it with her to the DOJ.

#64 leroy, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you just confirmed my "narrative!!!" obviously some illegal activity was related to the Russia/Qatar bribed awards but not all. nike bribes to brazil, warner south africa WC bribes, blazer tv deals, teixeira/havelange WC TV contracts since 90's, webb's(cayman island banker turned warner replacement, etc... ALL of those things happened and would have continued to happen even if the USA got 2022. that's the only point i've been making, this week never happens if usa gets 2022. no one from usa approaches lynch if they are happy.

6. malakas

malakas Member

He retired in 1998. Most of us were children then lol I was 10. Plus no internet and forums for people to be outraged on.

7. Buck Turgidson

Jack Warner and CONCACAF have been under investigation "from usa" for more than a decade. Look it up.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Clutchfans already existed.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah but most posters were kids who didnt post here.

10. leroy

My point is that this didn't happen BECAUSE of the US loss. It happened BECAUSE of the Russia and Qatar wins. There's a big difference. You and swoly are making it out that it was the US getting revenge. It simply is not. It happened because there were crimes that were committed on US soil, they were found, and then were acted upon by the DOJ. Blazer is a scumbag who deserves everything that's coming to him.

What happened in the 80's and 90's are things I'm not educated on. I was a kid/young adult who simply didn't pay that much attention then. Just because I wasn't outraged 20 years ago doesn't mean I don't have the right to be angry now.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another great FIFA takedown from John Oliver:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qr6ar3xJL_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. leroy

That was pretty awesome...

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Sepp Blatter is to resign as FIFA President. More here: <a href="http://t.co/ZnKAm6x9e5">http://t.co/ZnKAm6x9e5</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SSNHQ?src=hash">#SSNHQ</a> <a href="http://t.co/apb7gwx4EC">pic.twitter.com/apb7gwx4EC</a></p>&mdash; Sky Sports News HQ (@SkySportsNewsHQ) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/605777853586669568">June 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

And boom goes the dynamite.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So like 3 days after an election, Blatter steps down and calls for an election.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

America is the most popular country on earth once again.

U S A! U S A!

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

USA USA USA!

19. Buck Turgidson

Ok Europe, we'll add this to your tab. Anything else we can fix for you?

20. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member