1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Okay, I wanna know which one of yall had the "Houston we don't have a problem, Scola's here" sign!! LOL

2. AXG

AXG Member

I just turned it on five minutes ago. Argentina is whooping Uruguay by 26 points. I missed Scola playing. :(

3. Naismith

Naismith Member

Damn, Damn. Damn is it just me that thinks Scola defense is not NBA ready

naismith

4. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Ya...i dont if hes just taken it easy because the game has been pretty much all argentina the entire time...he made a few good plays on defense..who knows, maybe when the competition heats up we'll see his real D...his offense is stellar though

6/11 for 16 points
    4/4 free through

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

i just caught a little bit of todays game, but it looked like he was moving is body well and sliding his feet to frustrate the shot. he did a good job of clogging up the paint. i also saw him steal the ball in the little time that i watched.

anyone have a box score?

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Any Youtube highlights from this game?

8. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

Scola looked good. He is a team oriented player willing to pass the ball to the open man and a good defensive rebounder. He has a good medium shot and will post up as well.

On the downside, he is not a high energy guy, just stood there on several occasions instead of providing help defense. He has average athleticism and lays the ball off the glass instead of dunking.

But this is just 1 game, let's see if he has more to offer as the Argentinian team advances.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is it possible that Scola's strengths/weaknesses are a little bit similar to Juwan Howard's (good shot, decent rebounding, bad shot-blocking, defense not stellar)?

10. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

he has some what of a inside game. so he isn't the same as juju.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm just hoping Scola turns out to be solid. The Rox need solid more than exceptional.

12. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

He fits into what adelman wants to do offensively. Adelman is a offensive coach first and luis fits with yao,tracy,battier and company.His fellow contrymen oberto isn't a shot blocker and not stellar on defense either. He probably is even worse than Scola but he fits into what they want to do down in san antonio. His defense will improve because the dude doesn't back down. His good point outweight his bad qualities. He is younger and more active than juwon howard.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Every scouting report I've read on Scola claims that one of his greatest strengths is his energy and that he never stops moving. I'm sure you're reporting what you saw today accurately, but if the scouting reports I've read are true, it's an aberration. Not the norm.

14. yaofan07

yaofan07 Member

I watched the game too and I think he is a pretty good energy guy. The standing around seemed to be more defensively, which I can see what the other poster might've been alluding too. His help defense and boxing out could use some work. But offensively he cuts, sets picks, runs the floor, and crashes the boards, so i saw good energy. Maybe not Chuckie Hayes type energy but still very good.

One thing I did notice, because I dont watch mutch international ball, is that the guard play is just awful. There were so many tipped passes and sloppy steals and losing the ball to some1 who runs up from behind them. Also, when Uruguay went into a zone, the Argentine team couldn't even get Scola the ball in any sort of scoring position (which was the point of the zone, but still). On the Rockets I think Scola will be much more effective without nearly the same amount of defensive attention to him.

15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

true that. he should dunk more. BUT, a pro to that con you listed about him not dunking....his finishing moves close to the basket are super quick. sometimes that's much better and much quicker than dunking.

also, i'm seeing this a lot, he knows how to use his length to glide to the reverse side of the basket to lay it up off the glass and use the basket to block out, making it impossible to be blocked by his one-on-one defender.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I can see the similarities but scola looks to be higher energy, more fluid on offense, and a much better passer. his defensive ability doesn't seem to come naturally like his offensive game. he tries hard but seemed to not have great instincts for defensive rotations or for being in the right spot to rebound the ball . seemed like he tended to watch the play when he could have been boxing out or fighting for position.

just my observations.

17. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

They were playing an inferior team (Uraguay), so maybe he was just pacing himself.

18. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Not to mention that the Argentines have a game almost every day... and he was playing against weak opposition.

Maybe he will intensify himself when stronger teams come along (like the USA or Argentina's traditional rival, Brazil).

19. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5xBZcREYvE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5xBZcREYvE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

20. Coca Cola Scola

Maybe, Argentine played zone a lot. I didn't see Scola get beat by his man a lot. In the other games I've seen Scola, he looked pretty high energy on both ends....so, who knows. This was a sloppy game from the start and Argentine started blowing them out by the 2nd half. If we have a good assistant coach that can teach good team defense, I'm sure Scola can adapt. He seems like he's very coachable...his movements offensively are very fluid and I was impressed with several of his passes in traffic.