1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fertitta: “Major overhaul of Toyota Center in the next five years.”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tigereye, Oct 8, 2018.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

Haven’t seen it posted anywhere but if I missed it, please merge. ClutchFans own @Jeff dropped a small inkling of a major renovation of Toyota Center in the planning stages.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/...-fertitta-tad-davis-houston-astros-jim-crane/

What would you like to see done with the arena during the major overhaul?!?

For me, I would like to see rooftop bar spaces for the upper deck sections and SRO with a view of the event floor below. This has been a trend with venues lately (MSG Skybridge, Fiserv Forum’s Panaroma Club, etc). IMO this could be added to Toyota Center at the top of each of the 4 structural roof support structures at the corners of the arena. Previously, the roof support columns have been a dead area of the venue. In recent years, they’ve been backlit by LED lighting so clearly they’re trying to do something with this dead area (see Astros CF renovation)

An example: T-Mobile Arena’s rooftop bars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 tigereye, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  2. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

meh

Tilman.. How about you do a major overhaul of our uniforms like the fans actually want

3. jsilencio

jsilencio Member

What's wrong with the uniforms? I really like the Nike iteration, specifically the black ones.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Because when they were little boys, they won the championship in a different looking uniform. If they won a championship in some pink and lime green polka dots, they would be saying our current ones suck and we need to go back to the pink and lime green polka dot ones.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ive always thought TC was too dark in some areas. If you want energy in the building it needs to be brighter. So more lighting for me.

6. bongman

bongman Member

Who cares about a stadium, we want great practice facilities.

We talkin bout practice.

7. tigereye

tigereye Member

Unfortunately I could see the arena getting darker if they add LED lighting with a stage effect, a la Lakers games at Staples, NRG Stadium, etc...

But if that did happen, they could also add more LEF ribbon boards on the remaining suite facias that don’t have them. Maybe turn the rest of the support columns into LED screens wrapping the columns... Imagine what they could do for introductions with that capability.

#7 tigereye, Oct 8, 2018
    kdchilds and D-rock like this.
  8. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

INCREASE URBANIZATION

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The urbanization haters.

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Add a retracting roof so we can show off our 80 degree winter evenings. These steamy nights will also keep James in shape.

LHSPanther62, da_juice and Jontro like this.
  11. tigereye

tigereye Member

That’s already happening and the Rockets didn’t have to do anything about it...

Camden Conte, currently under construction.
    [​IMG]

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Don’t think that’s what he meant by “urbanization.” But yeah, I like seeing these apartments and condos go up. I hope these apartments and condos have some type of ground level retail like eatieries. I’ve eaten everything at Toyota center already.

da_juice and BigShasta like this.
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Shut up.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Tilman.... why did you talk to local politicians about the prospect of a new arena around the time you bid on the team if you are going to sink a ton of cash into the Toyota Center?

BigMaloe likes this.
  15. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I'd like to see Lakers-esque arena lighting to hide all the empty seats on national TV

I'd like to see the old practice facility turned into a REALLY nice lounge for the players, with a state-of-the-art Auerbach-esque practice facility.

Get rid of the skycourt, or atleast some of the features. Snot filled kids should be in their seats, not playing 2k. It also sticks out like a sore thumb. Sorry kiddos.

That is all.

Oh, also, a slamball court that operates 24/7 for the lulz

#15 BigggReddd, Oct 8, 2018
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

The arena in the entire league with the most energy is Madison Square Garden. Players always talk about how electric it is to play there. But the Garden is mostly dark during games, with the court lit brightly. It creates a certain mood that just isn't the same in well-lit arenas.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Tc is fine as is. Can we get some lower ticket prices.

18. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

But Tilman is in financial trouble, I heard.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

You are basically asking him to give away money. If Tilman rips his restaurant managers for cutting their lemon wedges too thick... there is no way in hell he is giving money away by lowering ticket prices when he already sells out.

#19 Nook, Oct 8, 2018
  20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

That arena is also in New York City with a lot of history that was built to be acoustically great. TC was built to serve papa johns pizzas and only light up Chinese characters for oversea sponsors.

da_juice likes this.