1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fermenting Food

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dankstronaut, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

A practice of preservation from pre-refrigerator days...

Anybody else? Sauerkraut, kimchi, sourdough, even brewing beer, kvass, pear wine, anything that controls the yeast/bacterias to enhance flavor and preserve nutrients...

I’ve done some sauerkraut already, it’s good but I can do better. Trying my hand at some hot sauces. One is habanero, Fresno, jalapeño and garlic (Fire) one is jalapeño, lime and garlic (significantly less hot but still dat sauce). And it will be probiotic, so in addition to being a colon cleanser it will also keep your guts full of healthy bacterias. Double clean!

Properly fermented foods taste fan****ingtastic, go great added to so many dishes, are good for gut health, last for months in the fridge, take pretty small amounts of effort and there’s just something that scratches an instinctual itch to use old techniques like this.

CCity Zero, B-Bob and likestohypeguy like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

@Kam , your Cambodian expertise may be appreciated here.

That tasty, stanky, umami ass food.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

[​IMG]

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a playlist for a series called "Its Alive" from Bon Appetit on YouTube.

Never done any, but I've watched s bunch. I think there's something like 56 videos about fermenting stuff.

Edit:

Cant gey the playlist to work. Search "Brad Its Alive" on YouTube for the full list. Here are several examples:

#4 Ottomaton, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    B-Bob, Dankstronaut and ThatBoyNick like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

One of the best food shows I've come across, a cooking show centered around fermentation alone is great, but it's also almost like comedy with the personality of Brad which makes it even more enjoyable to watch.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

My wife and I have done yogurts and kombuchas. The kombuchas were a lot of work and time to get going, most batches didn't taste that great or weren't carbonated enough, a few came out really good though.

7. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Yes, please do!

Not even just with fermentation but I’m getting a healthy dose of Asian cuisine knowledges. I’ve always liked it but digging in, recreating and learning about it has been eye opening. Italian food will always have a place on my palette but good god is Asian food delicious. Like why?

Oh yeah.

Umami.
    Ah yes! I’ve seen one or two but didn’t realize it was a full on thing. Will invest the time to watch more for sure!
    Didn’t even know yogurt was fermented. Is it hard?

Kombucha is hard for sure. Honestly don’t even really like kombucha but I do like apple cider vinegar mixed into some water with a splash of local honey.

I have a really good idea for a fermented foods store. “Ferm to Table” would be the name, obviously fermented foods require special handling particularly if for sale and making enough to be profitable would require decent amount of space...but I really think the ease of labor and overhead would be fairly low. You would draw em in with the hot sauces nd keep em coming back for something else. Even offer a little discount for returning jars. Hell I might figure out what it takes and set up at farmers market. That habanero Fire sauce might be too much for me to handle and i made about a quart lol...maybe I’ll send you guys some samples!

donkeypunch likes this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I love that show. Brad and his producer/editor are gold Jerry. Gold.

10. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Uhh...ok. Took like 5 minutes to make. No worries though, there’s an unethically sourced, sugar saturated, artery and colon clogging fatty-fat burger available to everyone who can’t (read: won’t) feed themselves because “nobody got” literally the only thing everyone has in surplus. And even better! When folks can’t even contribute whatever lackluster offerings they’ve spent their time on, society will train a person to medically restore them and saddle everyone else with the responsibility of caring for the timeless. Fantastic.

11. Xerobull

[​IMG]

12. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I want to talk about fermenting foods. Maybe some folks have done it? Maybe some tips or pointers? Maybe someone else gets inspired and wants to try it out?

Your memes aren’t funny and kinda incorrect, as this takes very little time. But hey, who am I to post a topic and expect something other than childish ****? I guess there weren’t enough other threads to **** on. **** this place.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hey Derp. Appreciate the thread, watching from the sidelines, and it’s alreayd been helping with the vids.

No fermenting yet for me. Always wanted to do sauerkraut. Didn’t try partly because I found Houston too hot for it and partly because when I got to point of interest is doing it, I got tired of buying more cooking supplies.

I love canning, sprouting, curing, smoking and especially stock making and sauce making. So I have all those supplies. I should try some day. Making sprouts is a weekly event for me now

I guess I did make a wheat berry drink once back in the ‘90s.

#13 heypartner, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  14. Xerobull

Ok, serious talk about fermentation, healthy guts and flora/fauna!.

Did you know you can brew your own beer? In your belly? For reals. It's called Auto-Brewery Syndrome and it affects 1's of people in the US every day. Not only are you able to self-ferment, you are able to SELF DRUNK! Call it a curse, I call it a miracle.
    [​IMG]
    Auto-brewery syndrome is a rare medication condition in which the body produces alcohol from fermented carbohydrates. (Photo: Getty Images)

BMJ Open Gastroenterology[/a], researchers examined a case of a previously healthy, active 46-year-old man with auto-brewery syndrome (ABS) — a rarely diagnosed medical condition in which eating carbohydrates results in them fermenting in a person’s gut. This fermentation can lead to alcohol production, which can make a person intoxicated.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and Candida in his upper small bowel and cecum (the junction between the small and large intestine) — both of which can ferment carbohydrates to make alcohol.

The man was treated with antifungal medications to get rid of the yeast, along with temporarily eliminating carbohydrates from his diet and taking a probiotic. He was able to gradually introduce carbs back into his diet and has been symptom-free since then.

The study authors believe the man’s ABS was triggered by three weeks of antibiotics given after a traumatic thumb injury. The course of antibiotics likely wiped out the good bacteria in his gut, allowing the fungus to overgrow.

“The basic cause of auto-brewery syndrome is an overgrowth of one or more yeasts somewhere in the gastrointestinal tract that ferment sugars and carbohydrates into alcohol (technically ethanol),” says Cordell. “In very rare cases, a bacterium may also ferment alcohol in the gut.”

Auto-brewery syndrome is rare, but there are certain telltale signs to look out for, including the sudden loss of coordination, slurring of words, confusion, nausea, and vomiting. “Many patients pass out, but others continue to function,” explains Cordell. “If a person is acting drunk but states they have not been drinking, they should be checked for ABS. The only way to know for sure is to do a glucose challenge in a controlled environment with no access to alcohol but frequent checks of blood alcohol levels.”

15. likestohypeguy

I stick with GT's. I've sampled house wife home brewed kombucha at farmers markets, that tasted like strong mead.

"You think store bought kombucha tastes like ****?!"

[​IMG]