1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[FENDER] Guitar players

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Aug 11, 2015.

1. AkeemTheDreem86

Now that's interesting. You have a link or something that diagrams this?

And those 69s must wail.

2. AkeemTheDreem86

The "swimming pool" is what I was referring to. Do they not do that anymore? If not I take it back and apologize for my ignorance.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So all of your info is about 15 years out of relevance.

4. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

This basically explains it.

http://www.mojotone.com/site/specs/2113349WD.pdf

I found a guy that was selling pickguards loaded with CS69s for $199. I asked him about the blender pot wiring and he did it for me for another $10. All I had to do was solder the ground wire to the back of one of the pots and then solder the input jack.

Highly recommend those pickups, if you're into a classic strat sound.

5. AkeemTheDreem86

Don't be dramatic.

Cool, thanks. So the middle PUP is unaffected?

6. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Yes, no change to middle. The bottom knob does nothing to the sound when you have the 5 way in position 3.

The blend really makes the position 1 more usable, as you can dial in a little neck pickup to calm the bridge pickup down. And the sound of all 3 pickups together in position 2 and position 4 is cool too.

7. axstar713

axstar713 Member

I'm not a big fan of the newer Fenders - although I do own a Jackson made since Fender bought the brand - but my friend recently bought one of the limited runs with the rosewood neck and I got a chance to play it a few days ago and was actually surprised. Like a previous poster said, go to Rockin' Robin - or anywhere with a solid selection, for that matter - and try out a host of stuff, used or new.

8. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Heheheh, it ain't the guitar, it's usually the guys behind the car that usually want to drop a shot of Jager inside of a Red Bull before driving home in their V6 Mustang.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i bought a new one a couple years ago and i love it. for that price point i think its a great guitar. got a really good deal on it and after set up it played like a dream.

thats what i got. a FSR (fender special run?). basically, guitar center gave fender the specs and fender made a run of them for guitar center to sell exclusively. i was a little apprehensive about buying it b/c of that, but i just loved the way it felt. i played about 20 strats in one day and for my price range this one was my favorite.

10. jw1144

jw1144 Contributing Member

Is this the short scale (24") guitar? How do you think it measures up against the short scale Fenders (jaguars/mustangs)? Asking cause I've been GASing for a short scale guitar lately.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I bought my first guitar at Rockin Robin. A Gibson Challenger that I traded in at Rockin Robin later on for the Ibanez Jazz Master that I still have.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I greatly prefer Fullers to Rockin Robin. Every time I leave RR, I feel like I should have brought a bottle of lube along.

Online, I've bought from Wildwood Guitars. Just bought this beauty from them for my wife (obviously not what you're looking for but I just want to show her off 'cause she's so purdy):

[​IMG]

Rarer used/vintage stuff online, which you wont find locally try:

http://www.gbase.com/

or as a second choice:

https://reverb.com/

For instance, if you were shopping for a 60's Strat, you'd find like 30x the number of guitars that you'd be able to find locally and the prices would be significantly less.

13. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I'm partial to Rickenbackers... You can even play Van Halen on them! :cool:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/udd8BwwYxDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I was going to say I am extremely jealous that you have a drumset in the same room that you change your pants in but then I noticed you have two scales. Now I have to know why you have two scales. Why do you have two scales?!?

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I just recently splurged on a 30th Anniversary PRS Custom 24, and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. I've played a wide range of guitars, and the PRS's have one of the nicest cleans I've ever heard.

16. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Oh, that's not me... just a video I found. I do wish I had a drum set in my room though, but I'm pretty sure my wife would object. And that whole two scale thing is a mystery to me too. :confused:

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I understand the need to play the guitars in person (if you can find the ones you want to play...which is most of the battle). But, in general, I hate music stores like GC because every time I've gone it's just a mad house with very little room to navigate. And, of course, there are always the jerg-offs ;) who are "experts" soloing out and shredding like it is their last day on Earth. I like to start out and bust into the opening for "Stairway to...". Of course, that is frowned upon. ;) Joking aside, I'm not exactly in my comfort zone being on the spot like that because the guitars are usually jacked way out of tune, I'm using some stack or amp I am not at all familiar with (not getting optimal sounds so a lot of tweaking is involved), and there is always something just awry where you can't hear yourself think or whatever...because the guy next to you is cranking out Eruption or whatever like he is a God. It can kind of be intimidating to some people and I've been there. I've never really had a good experience trying out guitars and, let's face it, the majority of guitars they have hanging or lying around on the floor are CRAP. But, on the flip side, if you don't play the exact guitar you are buying, then you just won't know how you will like it until you get it. It could be you play the guitar of your dreams and buy it right then and there. I've personally never had that experience. It's been said no two guitars are exactly alike...so buyer beware I guess if you try one you like but don't buy it (due to wrong color or whatever) and then buy one online. I honestly can't really put a guitar through its paces until I'm playing my home rig and have run through my catalog. In the store, I'm just not in my comfort zone because I've never been in a slow-paced, quiet music store where I can hear myself think. It always feels like complete chaos. But, that's Guitar Center for you on the weekends. I guess people who perform a lot are more comfortable in that setting. Unfortunately, I can't find the other members of my Rush tribute band. It's just me, myself, and I.

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Just fall in line with them and start a jam session. I do it all the time in the keyboard section.

19. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I don't know if you're in Houston (I generally have the same issue), but the GC that opened off Yale essentially never has anyone in it. Especially during regular hours in the week, it's pretty nice.