1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feinstein calls for banning more than 150 types of firearms, including pistols and shotguns.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Jan 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And history has proven that these extra seconds are ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL in this type situation. The teacher who locks the door, overturns the desk, turns out the lights, hides the students in the closet....EVERY SINGLE TIME that peopel survive these things it's generally due to quick thinkign over a period of seconds.

Hell, It takes about 1-2 seconds to close 20 feet on somebody fi you want oto go vigilante on his ass and be a hero.

YOu really don't think if he would have had to stop every 30 seconds and reload six bullets manually , more people wouldn't have gotten away to safety? Why do you hate the laws of physics?

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Was happy to lurk for a day, but this post of yours is so absolutist and illogical, I wanted to respond.

Using your logic, why have seat belts, speed limits, or air bags? It's all or nothing, and people are still getting killed in huge numbers on our highways. Just ban cars, or let them operate without any safety laws. Right, all or nothing?

Using your logic, there is no reason to monitor the nation's food supply. People still die of food poisoning. You need to ban food or let distributors and grocer's sell whatever the heck they want, with no expiration dates or testing, etc. Right?

And so, using your logic, there is no reason to prohibit fully automated weapons. Retired from the marines? Take your modern weaponry home with you! What a perk! You would also be able to have your own thermonuclear warhead, as others have pointed out a million times.

We've posted this until everyone is blue in the face. There has *always* been a line. The line moves. It moved in the 1960's after the rash of assassinations. The NRA accomplished moving the line in the other direction in the mid-1980's (and almost got automatic weapons legalized.) The line moved again in 1994. Again in 2004. Now they're talking again about the line, and hey, sure enough, it's about a ten-year cycle.

Just quit freaking out because the NRA and our stupid anger-at-all-costs-to-increase-ratings media are goosing you all the time.

It's going to be fine, and the line won't move much at the end of the day.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you advocate for a total gun ban, I respect that. I don't respect a partial ban of weapons that only result in 2% of shooting deaths.

The Virginia Tech shooting is a fair barometer to go by. He didn't use 30 round magazines. He didn't use ultra efficient killing bullets.

He used a .22 mm and a 9 mm handguns, two of the smaller class of weapons. On adults, not children. Banning certain weapons does no justice and its an insult to those who continue to die from gun shots.

4. SamFisher

And I think those 2% should live because you haven't really provided a valid basis as to why we should trade them away...the cost benefit analysis doesn't really work out in your favor.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Have you ever answered this: then why ban anything? Why not automatic weapons on every corner? Missile launchers next to back-yard trampolines and kiddie pools?

If you don't respect having a line to demarcate dangerous things in society, you pretty much don't respect the bulk of existing laws governing people on the planet Earth.

If you want to say "don't you move that line!" that's great. But saying it's all or nothing is just NRA bullcrap. It's never been all or nothing.

6. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Do some research on the VA Tech shootings and get back to me. Oh, and those were college students and adults not kindergardners. Crazy people usually carry 2 guns or more.. just saying.

7. Space Ghost

You're an ignorant fool if you think most of the 2% wouldn't have died anyways. That is the point you are not getting. Sandy Hook shooter would have used handguns, just as Cho, and still killed just as many. He could have probably killed more if he was able to walk in with a backpack full of magazines and surprised a classroom full of kids instead of shooting up the front office first.

While ignorant liberals such as yourself feel happy about banning weapons in which you are very poorly informed on, there are others who are more concerned about the 98% that could be reduced.

8. Space Ghost

Don't move the line just to say you moved the line. That is insulting. Don't suggest policy that is geared for a very small minority (mass shootings) while ignoring the much bigger problems (over all gunshot deaths).

Don't threaten policy that creates mass hysteria in which amplifies the bigger problem at hand. How many deaths will be be prevented with the assault weapons ban? A few? How many deaths will be attributed to the guns and ammo that has now flooded the market due to the scare? Possibly hundreds?

I understand you're not in the states, but you don't realize how hard it is to find ammo now. Law enforcement is having to cut back on on training and yearly re-certifications because ammo is hard to come by. All that ammo is now on the streets, and lots of it is in the hands of inexperienced people.

9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I appologize for leading you to the impression that I don't believe in the line. I do. I just don't believe in the "scary weapon" ban because I believe the line is where it should be. In my defense I did qualify my argument saying "if you want to save lives". I'm not freaking out, my 2nd amendment rights are covered.

10. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Just because I respond do you doesn't mean I care what you think. Case in point. I'm in a "cloud of stupid" yet you are still claiming that people can buy AK-47s. Again, YOU CAN'T GO BUY AN AK-47! You haven't been able to buy an AK-47 since 1986. Call me ignorant all you want, at least I know what I can and can't buy. I'm responding to you because some poor soul is going to buy in to the lies your'e spewing about a semi-automatic "assault" rifle being made for the military.

No it's not. And you claiming it is just further proves your ignorance of the weapons being discussed. I have a Vietnam era fully automatic M16 in my family that was grandfathered in. It is my fathers that he carried in Vietnam... and the inner-workings of that weapon is completely different than an AR15. I know, because I've cleaned and shot both many times.

I've already argued about the fact my father has a military issued M16, but he took a bullet to the head for this country so he can have whatever the hell he wants in my opinion. He's also filed the proper ATF and Federal background checks in the 1970s, so it is legal for him and him alone to own.

I agree that her agenda has no chance as long as there are protests and people that stand up. I consider myself to be one of those people. It's not paranoia when you challenge something someone in a position of power has claimed.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Oh, well, this is getting dumber and dumber. It's like trying to take candies away from a 3 year old.

12. Svpernaut

FACT: Ending the war on drugs would save the most lives, and would be the easiest to implement.

But hey, we should totally waste all political capital, time, money and effort on nearly meaningless new laws.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Is B-Bob on vacation and out of the country? I thought he lived in the Bay Area.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

It is meaningless in your view but not to many of us. It could be easier without these "waste" if you guys start to have some common sense.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And if Choi had an AR-15 with a high capacity magazine do you think the death count would've been higher or lower?

Y'all keep on arguing that things like AR-15 and high capacity magazines don't make much difference in lethality but if that is the case then why should people have them for any reason if a 9MM pistol will do?

16. Svpernaut

This is quite an ignorant statement. you have no clue who is buying the ammo or how experienced they are. I guarantee there are millions of gun owners who are just as experienced or more experienced than police with guns. Get off your high horse.

People are hoarding ammo because of your the words and actions of your President and his Congress. Don't blame the people for exercising their rights why they still have them.

17. Svpernaut

No, I don't think he would have killed more people with an AR15. People who think that you can unload hundreds of rounds in an AR15 obviously have never shot one. I encourage you to visit a range and watch people shoot AR15s. They spend as much time loading and clearing jams as they do shooting. That's the joys of a semi-automatic rifle when shooting 50 or more rounds in one session.

AR15s are most accurate when shot in short bursts, this is a reason military M16s and M4s generally have 3 round bursts firing modes.

Rifles also EASILY overheat, causing jams. Rifles are much more "finicky" weapons... If the barrel gets too hot, they're worthless. Where as you can put 500 rounds through a Glock pistol within a few minutes and still be functioning just fine.

Just because I have a gun doesn't mean I want to kill someone with it. You can use guns for self defense without going for center mass or heads hots. An AR15 is a tool, and there are different tools for the job. An AR15 is a fantastic self defense weapon because of it's accuracy, and the fact that it isn't a lethal round if you don't want it to be.

18. SamFisher

OK - here's my research - all people whose quick thinking saved them, generallly in a matter of seconds, e.g. blocking the door, jumping out the window, moving the desk against the door, hiding in closets

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-wallis/helpers-and-heroes-at-vir_b_47275.html

Your position is that had they had EVEN MORE time to react rather than the seconds that they had, it wouldn't have had a chance of there being EVEN MORE lives saved?

There is nothing remotely logical about that.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That is a great piece and a lot of the things it mentions we cover in teaching self-defense.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If these things are so unreliable what is the point of having them?
    You contradict yourself right away by saying that it is a fantastic self-defense weapon because of accuracy but what good is accuracy if it is as unreliable as you say above?

This seems to be an often repeated argument in this debate (pistols are just as lethal as semi-automatic rifles, expanded magazines make little difference) but Hell no don't ban them because they are great for self defense and fighting off the Fed..