1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Feigen's summary of Rockets Deadline activities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 16, 2012.

1. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Here are a few things that are interesting to me from this article:

"Averaging 8.8 rebounds per game this season, the 6-11 Camby leads the league in rebounds per minute played."
    Morey and Les made a trade for basketball reasons and didn't just reshuffle their assets--FINALLY. The last time a trade like this was made was when we brought in Kevin Martin--it's not the same level, but similar thinking... fill a need immediately.

"Shortly after the deal for Camby, the Rockets sent Jordan Hill to the Los Angeles Lakers to acquire Derek Fisher and the Mavericks’ first-round pick."
    We acquired a future draft pick (worth about $3-4 mil in trade value) for a player who had no chance at minutes in the new rotation with Camby. If Scola were traded, I think Morey would have held on to Hill to rotate in at the 4. As such, goodbye Mr. Hill.

"According to an individual familiar with the trade negotiations, the Rockets had been in talks with Portland for forward Gerald Wallace, who ultimately went to New Jersey."
    This is an indictment of where we think Morris's game is as an NBA wing today and the hope that the Kansas Knight would rise up off the bench and have a Goran Dragic performance against the Spurs in round 1 needs to be fully deflated, I need to see the organization put confidence in him from the front office, right down to McHale.

“We feel we have four quality rotation bigs,” Morey said. “It will be up to coach (Kevin) McHale how he uses (Luis) Scola, (Patrick) Patterson, Sam Dalembert and Marcus Camby.”
    The biggest downside of this trade is the stunting of the development of Patrick Patterson. Bill Worrell correctly points out how unnecessarily rushed P Pat seems in games and dwindling minutes can't do much to help that cause. Patrick was getting at least 5-7 mpg playing alongside Scola, but now with Camby that is going to be a 0 most nights. Patterson won't play alongside Scola anymore, and Scola is going to get his 30-35 mpg.... you do the math. Camby is getting a decent chunk of P Pat's minutes just as Patrick was showing promise at being able to handle 20-25 minutes every night and help us win. This will probably be overlooked by most, but losing a third of your minutes is for him so watch and see how he responds.

2. jwayne

jwayne Member

Durant hates playing against Parsons, Chandler Bang is just as long as Durant and is as good an athlete (Didnt say as good a bball player). Frustrates the heck out of KD.

3. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Sorry Mayde Creek QO, but it probably wouldn't be top 3 protected unless it came directly and originally from NJ.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't know that I'm angry...but I'm frustrated. I'm frustrated by this organization's continued refusal to see reality...I'm frustrated because I think this strategy of waiting and hoping to have some massive star arrive through trade or free agency is entirely fool's gold. I'm frustrated because the Rockets have become the Astros of the 2007-2010 campaigns...a franchise that refuses to admit where they are and is just mediocre enough to convince themselves that they're just one bit player away from being a real contender. This is a franchise that was once soooo proud...and it's become a complete after-thought on the Houston sports landscape.

1 person likes this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Remember, no Hill, so we don't spend any minutes on him.

I can see McHale taking a small chunk of Scola's minutes and giving them to PPat. Maybe a distribution like 28 Scola and 20 Patterson.

6. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Yah the bucks raped the warriors...no one we could or should have trumped that deal. I cant imagine what we would have to had to given up to trump that monta package... itd been so bad we would be cursing morey for years to come I know that.

7. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

EDIT: Losing a third of your minutes is (major/big/crucial/etc*) for him so watch and see how he responds.

I didn't think he played well coming off his injury when he was getting fewer minutes, so I hope that was the injury/conditioning factor. I'm rooting for Patrick of course, he's a hard worker with good basketball IQ, but some players need more minutes than others to have an impact and get in the flow of the game. I hope Patrick responds well to 12-15 mpg instead of the 22-25 he had been getting for almost 2 months now.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I don't think any of this is an indication of "refusal to see reality". Except maybe the Wallace trade. That would've been utterly infuriating, unless they literally gave him away. Apparently the Bogut/Howard talks were legit, which tells me they *know* that they're not getting anywhere as currently constructed. They were looking to blow it up, but the fish weren't biting. It's one thing to rebuild, it's another thing to have a firesale. I can handle waiting one more offseason to truly start rebuilding, once the price/market is right. Timing man, it's all timing.

1 person likes this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Like I said I think he can get 20 minutes a game and just lose a few minutes. I think McHale will cut equally from Scola and PPat. Notice how none of our every-game rotation guys are under 20 minutes per game?

10. MadMax

Let me know when it happens. Our little #assets are fun to watch (to me..clearly not to the national or local public), but it's difficult to become too attached to any of them because only 1 of them is a long term play, I think. Aside from that, we have an entire generation of kids who think MAKING THE PLAYOFFS in the NBA (where more teams are allowed in than excluded) is some massive victory worthy of celebration. The state of this franchise sucks right now.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

When I put on my optimist glasses, I think Morey just added extra picks in these moves so that he can do something bold on draft night, like move waaaay up the board by trading the picks and one of our "assets" outright.

12. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

1. All of Hill's minutes go to Camby.
    2. Maybe Scola goes back a few, but if he gets 28 like you suggest, Patterson only gets 16 then and not 20.

The main point I'm making is that this trade means less of the Scola/Patterson small ball rotation which accounts for around a third of Patterson's minutes.I personally feel it's unreasonable to sit both your 7 foot defensive and rebounding centers when we suck at defending the paint and rebounding. Unless I'm wrong about that (which I could be, I'm making an inference), then there is no way Patterson gets 20 minutes.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

28 + 20 = 48 minutes at PF

Arithmetic for the win

14. MadMax

sure hope so. i was hoping all the moves would look like that...but when you add a camby to address a NOW need with a 38 year old player, you're doing your best to cost us our own draft pick this upcoming draft. so that we can be an 8 seed.

15. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

I just don't see Scola getting 28 mpg.... that's a blip because of a road trip. If he gets 28, then Patterson can get his 20, but I only see him taking 32 on average.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Scola = 28
    Patterson = 20
    28 + 20 = 48

Dalembert = 24
    Camby = 24
    24 + 24 = 48

That's our PF/C rotation IMO.

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I hear you, the revolving door blows. But I sympathize with Morey. He was dealt a bad hand, twice. The Yao/Tmac ship sank, and then the Stern veto. It has put us in the worst kind of limbo ever. I'm a patient man, and while I'm frustrated at the situation now, I will be legitimately upset with the FO if something major doesn't happen in the next 364 days.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Scola already only gets 31 minutes per game on average... it's only going down 3, and it would probably benefit his energy level. He's not as young as he used to be.

19. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Yeah, I caught my early morning mistake, but that's not worth the conversation because Scola doesn't play less than 30 minutes very often. Maybe only 5 games has be dipped below that mark, a couple of them because of injury and us routing teams.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

To be honest, I have no problem with the move because it didn't cost us anything of value nor did it decrease our future flexibility. It was practically a money-for-nothin-chicks-for-free scenario.

If we make it as an 8th seed and get bounced in 6, It'll be entertaining at least. I'm not concerned about having the 16th pick vs the 14th pick. It's not a franchise changer.

We weren't going to tank this year, it didn't make sense on a lot of levels. If our season had gone like the Blazers' had, then maybe so. But I'd rather be us right now (I think).