1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] The Underrated 20th Draft Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, May 24, 2023.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

No way he makes it pass Miami. That’s their archetype at the wing. He fits the mold of Duncan, Martin, and Herro

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Trade up for Keyonte George or Bilal. The sweet spot for another gem is 13-17th range

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Kenyon Martin Jr. Wants Trade From Houston Rockets; Could Dallas Mavs Expand Christian Wood Deal in NBA Draft? - Sports Illustrated Dallas Mavericks News, Analysis and More

Mavs sitting at 10... would they consider Martin and 20 a greater improvement than whoever is available at 10? They are hurting for additional picks and KJ's from Dallas. They could go and pick a Kris Murray at 20 too, an NBA ready 4. Retain their F/As and add these 2.

We take Gradey Dick at 10?

Amen-Green-Dick-Smith-Sengun

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They are good with Hendricks.

Hood Schifino, Anthony Black, Hawkins are all interesting.

Derek Lively could rise to 10-14th.

5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

feels like there is no buzz around any international players this year (besides the obvious.....)

maybe take the best euro player @20 and stash for a year?

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure there will be a few that come out of nowhere right before the draft. It always seems to happen.

Bo6 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  9. PeppermintCandy

Off topic, but has Houston met with any of the top lottery prospects? From what I've read here and elsewhere, it doesn't sound like they've met with Henderson, Miller, or Thompson, nor are there plans to do so.

I wonder if this is because everyone's expecting Houston to trade the No. 4 pick.

No Worries, DaDakota and daywalker02 like this.
  10. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Watched game 4 of the French semi-finals.

I came out way more impressed by Bilal Coulibaly than by Wemby.

11. i3artow i3aller

He'll be long gone by 20

BaselineFade and Believe It! like this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Coulibaly's wingspan is freakish, and he's been great as a shooter this season (small sample size)

I wouldn't be mad at all if they took him #20 but I'm starting to think he'll be gone in the late lottery.

On the other hand, maybe that means somebody else drops. (Cason Wallace? Gradey Dick?)

13. NewAge

NewAge Member

I like that. NBA is a family business. All these NBA kids know what it takes to be a pro. Look at Jalen Brunson, JJJ, KMJ, etc.

14. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Juwan Howard’s son. Good feel of the game. Very versatile in shooting. Worrisome defense and a lack of hop though.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's actually wild how few rebounds Jett Howard picked up, and how poor he was at finishing around the rim for a guy listed 6'8" 215lbs. When you watch the tape, he is very unathletic, Slow-footed, no hops. Looks like he's playing in molasses. Kind of a tunnelvision player too--not as bad as Cam Whitmore in that regard, but not a good court vision guy either. Not sure what they see in him beyond the shooting. Guys whose only projected talent is knocking down open shots are a dime a dozen these days in free agency. Hope they don't spend a first rounder on a player like Howard.

16. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Would rather take Podziemski at 20.

BUT trading up would be nice as well.

Corrosion and Snow Villiers like this.
  17. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

I’m not super duper high on Jett, but I kinda disagree. I think he’d be a good pick for us, as long as he measured out in his workout at actually 6’8

- Don’t think any would disagree he’s a great shooter on all kinds of shots - spot-up, movement, pull-ups

- He can definitely dribble, pass, and make quick decisions at a good level for a wing shooter role player. More assists and better A/TO than Dick, Murray, Hawkins, Whitehead, Sensabaugh etc. Watching him, Jett seems like a guy with good feel and general skill level offensively. Whitmore is miles below him in assists and A/TO, and is a true black hole; I don’t really see that comp at all

- Defensively, he was poor this year. Personally I care more about defensive tools than impact when scouting 19 year old wings. Defensive focus and getting into a stance are easier to fix than lacking tools. If Jett is actually SF-sized at 6’8 215, think he has the tools to be a league average wing defender — he’s got a big frame and long arms, unlike Gradey Dick for example. I see him as Cam Johnson or Tobias Harris defensively; slow laterally, but ultimately fine on that end because they don’t overcommit and have the size and strength to be an obstacle to NBA wings

#97 carl_herrera, Jun 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    TimDuncanDonaut and OremLK like this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I'm probably being too harsh on his playmaking I suppose. I just don't really see it as a particular strong suit to help compensate for his lack of physical tools. He's definitely a good shooter, but I just don't see how he can create any space in the NBA. He seems like a pretty one-dimensional player to me similar to what Gradey Dick brings to the table, but even less mobile and athletic.

You can probably tell by now that I'm just not that into drafting players who are heavily dependent on jump shooting and that I do not see as having a strong multifaceted game, at least in the first round. You can teach shooting, but physical tools, court vision, defensive instincts, etc are much more difficult to impart. Also, with as obsessed as the basketball world has become with shooting, it's so, so easy to just buy shooters these days. Look at what the Heat are doing with a bunch of undrafted guys.

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Need to go from #20 to #10. Dallas trying to win now. Give the Martin and Tate along with #20. Id give them the Brooklyn pick with lotto protection as well. If that pick is #18 next year, I wouldn’t be too bad top, if it conveyed.

Soooo many options at #10.

Assuming Thompsons and Whitmore round out 4,5 and 6. Walker, Hendricks, Bilalby, Wallace all super interesting and ALL project or are already studs on D.

Does Dallas say no to #20, 2024 Brooklyn top 15 protected, Tate and KMJ?

20. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

I guess the difference is that you don’t see Jett as having physical tools. To me, positional size relative to skillset is the single most important physical tool - Jett at 6’8 with a big frame matters, vs Gradey Dick as a slight 6’7 with pretty short arms. That’s the difference between Cam Johnson and Duncan Robinson for example. Like, I can’t see a world where Dick isn’t a target basically all the time in the NBA. But I see Jett getting there, against non-star wings.

Maybe you’re missing that Jett was playing a lot of the year with injuries to both ankles? Reminds me of AJ Griffin.

A true forward sized perimeter player who can dribble, pass, and shoot a high percentage on high volume, and has the tools to be a non-target defensively is quite valuable IMO.

I guess just comes down to whether you believe the defensive part is true.

OremLK likes this.