1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets pool of free agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 25, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Supposedly he doesn't want Tate money - he wants Kenyon type money.

He is going to end up being dealt. He is in some ways an exceptional athlete and useful player but he isn't going to be a priority.

saleem and pippendagimp like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Brooklyn has a number of picks from the Suns.

Would that be an expensive draft pick? It would take more than one pick - but yes it would be expensive.

It comes down to whether you would rather have trade swaps/picks from the SUNS or a couple of seasons of FVV/Brooks.

I tend to lean towards having picks and signing less expensive free agents that can help guide the younger players.

Ancient Moabite and clos4life like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I bet you win 5 more games with FVV.

Stats do not tell the whole story. FVV seldom makes mistakes, and almost never makes the types of mistakes that lead to other mistakes by teammates being forced to adjust on the fly.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I hear this - but who really needs the ball in their hands?

Jalen Green doesn't - he doesn't really initiate........ Porter is at his best when he doesn't initiate...... Jabari Smith can barely dribble..... Sengun? He is at his best as a post passer, but he is more than capable of operating as a secondary ball handler... Thompson? He is a rookie..... Whitmore? Dude is just about the worst initiator in the league since Yinka Dare.

The Rockets don't actually have a lot of guys that are best with the ball in their hands.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He would be a terrible mistake because we don’t need a starting PG. Sengun is going to run this offense in the half court. All that signing FVV does is r****d our growth and put us on a path of mediocrity. It is pr move if we do it, because Tillman got involved.

clos4life likes this.
  6. xaos

xaos Member

I don't want to oversimplify the difference between the 2 but one plays a winning style of basketball and the other doesn't. That's the difference.

AroundTheWorld and MadMax like this.
  7. xaos

xaos Member

You can run an offense through Sengun, but you still need a savvy point gaurd to set the pace, limit turnovers, understand where to be on the court without the ball, get the ball to the right players (including Sengun) and at the right time, urgency of the game, etc

8. JW86

JW86 Member

I have no ****ing clue and thank you for this post! He's a terrible shooter, which is not what we want.
    He disobeys the coach, ignores plays and antagonizes guys better than him, which makes the team suffer.
    He still chucks despite the terrible %

HOW THE **** DOES THIS SPELL LOCKER ROOM GUY, A GUY WILLING TO GIVE UP SHOTS AND TEACH YOUNG GUYS GOOD HABITS?! On several counts, he's the OPPOSITE of who we want!

Mathloom and keeez like this.
  9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I have been pro Stone, but if this plays out the way things are being described, this is a monumental waste of a huge asset.

Right now, in this "Era" of Rockets ball, we will only have a two year window to use cap space to take major leaps forward as a team. This plan, completely blows the window of opportunity for a bunch of short term wins, and exactly zero impact on the long term core of the team.

AroundTheWorld, saleem and Corrosion like this.
  10. xaos

xaos Member

How would you approach the next two offseasons?

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hear you and I'm concerned about that too, but then I remember how they said basically the same thing about Alex Caruso and he's looked even better in Chicago.

Rashmon and saleem like this.
  12. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Preach it Brother! I would be disappointed with a Brooks signing for all the reasons you state and pissed if they paid him more than the $5-10 million bench filler salary. One thing to note about Dillon, mister 2nd team all defense, Brooks - Some advanced stats hate his defense because he fouls a ton. A foul is one of the worst defensive plays because it often leads to free throws.

saleem and Mathloom like this.
  13. larsv8

Here is one scenario, but anything similar with difference players works as well (Conley, Olidipo, Markief, Chris Paul, etc.)

14. xaos

xaos Member

Great plan!

15. keeez

keeez Member

What is even the point in signing Brooks?

Shooting? No.
    Dawg mentality? Tari clears him.
    Veteran leadership? Really?

We have a ton big potential wing players already and he'd be taking away minutes from him. Negatives definitely outweigh benefits (if there are any). Signing him would kill most of the excitement built up this offseason.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why can't we be players in the 2025 free agency class?

17. larsv8

Because Green and Sengun's big extensions kick in in 2025.

AroundTheWorld and saleem like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They can be RFA with cap holds

and to correct myself 2025 doesn't look great, it's 2026 that is interesting

19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

DEFENSE

20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

DEFENSE