1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets pool of free agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 25, 2023.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

great reference

Nook likes this.
  2. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I think the Rockets will strike out on most good free agents (FVV, Lopez, Harden, etc)…they'll end up paying a sub-par player a large one year deal or trade for players on one-year deals into the cap space.

Players to trade into our cap space:
    Malcom Brogdon
    Derrick White
    Joe Harris
    DeMar DeRozan (maybe the Rockets would incentives the Bulls)
    Kyle Lowry
    CJ McCollum
    Patty Mill
    Tyus Jones

Underrated FA that can help coach our young players:
    Seth Curry
    Kevin Love
    George Hill
    Danny Green
    Joe Ingles

SamFisher likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

FVV
    And
    Brook Lopez

Good vets with championship experience

CHAMPBOY and xaos like this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

FVV (age 29) may get a 4 year contract.
    BL (age 35) may get a 2 year contract.

I think that the Rockets would rather roll with 2 year contracts for vets.

The Rocket may have to significantly overpay any FA to get the deal done, so 2 years of contract pain is way better than 4.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ime might be looking to land his starting PG via trade ... maybe targeting a PG with a Spurs history like Patty Mills (age 34) or George Hill (age 37). Both appear to have one year left on their contract.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’ll take patty

No Worries likes this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm okay with FVV. Not with Dillon Brooks.

Phillyrocket, xaos, jch1911 and 2 others like this.
  8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Admittedly without thumbing through this array, the name I hear no where is a prime FA pick-up in ‘my world’, Grant Williams.

Young, tough, best year was under Ime, positional liquidity, 3-point deadliness + improving putting ball on the floor. Good teammate, selfless.

9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I don't think Brooks should even be in conversation for a team trying to build a better culture. If they could get Reaves or VV, C Johnson and Lopez it would be a home run. Good team guys, with hustle and shooting across the board. Much needed.

saleem and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And the same can be said about Harden the same about Brooks

Believe It!, xaos and Mathloom like this.
  11. MystikArkitect

Reaves/Johnson are the ideal SF targets. I like McCollum but we need a more 3 and D oriented guy. Feel like FVV is too expensive and still at a point in his career where he wont want to defer to young guys. Jalen/Bari/Sengun should be our focal points this year. Schroeder/Johnson/Lopez or something of that nature.

xaos likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

With Brooks I was against it when I thought he could be signed for $5-10m on a one year contract with a team option for the second.

Now he's leaking through Stein that he would not be happy with the NT-MLE $12.4m lol

People on here have suggested some insane numbers too like $15-18m per season with multiple guaranteed years. Are you crazy?

Dillon Brooks shot 32% and 31% from 3pt range the past 2 seasons with a well defined simple role on a team with very good chemistry. He also just kept ignoring his coach who was telling him to stop heaving up a shot when they're running plays where he has to touch the ball. On offense, he's WAY below average. He would reduce our spacing, teams will just sag off him if he gets the ball - they will just prepare to double team Sengun/Green. He got 2nd team all defense because he was on a great team with the DPOY JJJ and Steven Adams - he's not even a top 2 defender on his team. That mathematically doesn't make up for what a negative he is on offense. There's no way he's worth more than the league average.

We already have Amen and Sengun who will get major minutes and can't shoot very well. There are no teams who can live with 2 bad shooters on the floor. Are we going to discover that Ime is outdated offensively? That he lucked into a shooting big in Horford and doesn't realize there's no way that scheme would work if Horford couldn't shoot?

Why in the name of god is Rafael Stone interested in this guy?

If you're thinking Udoka will make him be more responsible, it ain't happening. Jenkins IS that guy too and they tried to do it for years until they gave up and put a press release saying they don't care what they could get back in a Sign n Trade, they just don't want to even talk to him ever again. Go read a Grizzlies board to hear stories about how he'd just jack up shots intended for Bane/Morant because he felt disrespected not being treated as a big scorer.

Major red flag. I can't imagine that if Grant Williams is available around the same price, we would go with Brooks. How much better is he defensively than Williams? Because Williams is ten times the shooter he is.

This is the millionth time I'm ranting about it, I'm done now. Please don't happen. Please don't waste a perfectly good amount of money on this idiot. Even when he was shooting well he was not worth it.

#293 Mathloom, Jun 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/2023-nba-f...s-dominating-early-discussions-151510087.html

Aruba77 likes this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

interesting; KJ’s contract is pretty minimal, so we won’t add much cap room by moving him. Clearly we avoid having to pay him next year if we trade him, but this has to be more about making space on the roster for vets and our core young guys. Really want Stone to get a deal done already. He needs to get either a protected 1st or a solid vet on a desirable contract for KJ.

If we do 2yrs $80 mil for FVV, and 2yrs $55 mil for Lopez, I don’t see money left over for Brooks barring a KPJ salary dump.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree. I was using the same rationale though about Harden until I learned the Rockets HAVE to spend $50M. So in that case my preference is 1-2 year deals overpaying to maintain flexibility when the kids come up for contract renewal.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. Ancient Moabite

pretty much, Udoka is just doing his best magistrate/judge impersonation, non Article 3 type that is, corporate handler status

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

You don't play him - you release him and take the draft pick.

AroundTheWorld, xaos and Aruba77 like this.
  19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Brooklyn has draft picks left to trade?

And wouldn't that be an expensive draft pick?

20. Nook

Nook Member

Stats are important but they do not tell the entire story.

KPJ makes a lot of mistakes that cost teams wins - a ton of small things.

FVV doesn't make many of those mistakes at all.

saleem, Deuce, yixiixiy and 3 others like this.