1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Reading between lines on the Rockets' long list of coaching candidates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Apr 27, 2011.

1. anchel

anchel Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2011/04/reading_between_lines_on_the_r.html

Casey, Frank, Budenholzer... I agree with the list.

Your feelings? Mine are Frank and Malone. :confused:

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'll get "excited" or show some interest when the list gets down to something less than the size of an NFL roster...

3. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While reading that it dawned on me, what if the Rox are hiring an entire staff, not just a head coach? I know the head coach typically hires his own staff. But maybe in this 'grow your own' environment Morey wants an all-star team of assistants. See who sticks.

1 person likes this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Exactly.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ettore Messina, Mike Brown, Joerger

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Before people start (seriously) criticizing the Rockets for interviewing so many head coaching candidates (I'm actually loving the jokes!), take a minute to recall what we know about Daryl Morey and the way he works.

Feigen made the comparison to working out a multitude of draft prospects, regardless of the team's particular draft needs. This comparison is EXACTLY on point with Morey's thinking, IMHO.

Morey has gone on record as saying that he likes to work out as many draft prospects as possible so that he can evaluate them, compile information on them and maybe also develop relationships with them, all of which might come in handy down the line (i.e., if the Rockets are later in a position to trade for that player or sign him in free agency).

Why, then, is it so hard to believe that a similar line of thought is in place with the head coaching interviews?

The more candidates that the Rockets interview, the more information they are able to compile about those coaches (and the league). More importantly, this process may enable the Rockets to build RELATIONSHIPS with guys who will go on to be head coaches, assistant coaches and GMs around the league.

Do you know why the Boston Celtics won the championship in 2008?

It's because Kevin McHale had a good relationship with Danny Ainge.

Would McHale have agreed to trade Kevin Garnett to Boston is their GM was some guy with whom he'd never spoken more than two words before? Probably not.

RELATIONSHIPS are important in this league. Hell, most of Morey's critics claim that he falls far short of CD in this regard. (Few were ever better than CD on this front, by the way.) This process should seriously bolster the relationships the franchise is able to build around the league.

For as much crap as the Rockets are taking right now for their long list of coaching candidates, I can't help but think that most people are missing the bigger picture here.

2 people like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

"Well we interviewed everyone from Len Bias to Mario Elie and over time it became clear to us that only one person knows the direction and philosophy we want for this organization... and that is why I will be coaching this team next year from my IPAD" - Daryl Morey 6/1/2011

1 person likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I agree up to a point.

I think that the front office is made up of some very intelligent people. People can say what they want about Les Alexander, but he has consistently hired very bright subordinates. I am sure Morey and company have a framework of what they want from a coach.... also I would not be surprised if some of the coaches being interviewed end up as part of the Rockets staff, similar to what Dallas has done in the past.

However, I also believe that part of the reason this is happening is because the Rockets love to be in the headlines, and they are... If I had to guess they will end up with a top assistant coach waiting for a chance to be a head coach, or a top assistant that got the short end of the stick in the past (Casey). Whoever it is, I can promise you that they will be subordinate to Morey and have a similar philosophy to his...

9. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Have a feeling it will be Budenholzer.

10. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Well-written article.

11. scola4

scola4 Member

Budenholzer or Casey

12. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

That's who I'm hoping for.

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Me three on Budenholzer.

I too believe what Bima is saying about relationships through this process, makes a ton of sense. If true, Morey is smarter than I already thought he was. I'm actually gaining excitement in watching this thing play out.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think Pat and Bima are on to something. I still have that quote from Adelman in my head, where he made some vague allusion to Morey wanting to change the way the coaching staff does player development. And, if we do end up hiring an assistant to be head coach, he won't already have a coaching team following him around. So, it makes sense to use these interviews to find assistants as well as the head coach.

15. blackistan

blackistan Member

I would like frank

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

An errant thought just came to mind.....

maybe this is what happened....

Morey: You know Rick, I really like your offense, but the defense......I think we should hire a defensive coordinator type assistant coach. How would you feel about sharing responsibilities in that manner?

Rick: I wouldnt like it much at all. I need to run both ends of the floor to be comfortable.

Perhaps Morey is trying to be innovative and find a head coach that is of one mindedness (offensive or defensive), with the understanding that he wants to also hire another coach whose equally qualified at the other. Perhaps the constant see-saw of having one and being second rate at the other has grown tiring to Morey and/or Les. Perhaps all these assistant coaches getting most of the attention is a indicator that a unconventional plan is in mind that only a certain type of coach may accept.

Im probably wrong, but it fits much of the evidense to this point.

17. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

Seems like Bud and Casey are the targets, but the real question is do we really want to give Bullard another reason to say "Hey Bud, lets party!"????

1 person likes this.
  18. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

I think Mario Elle or Mark Jackson would be great coaches. If I had to lean to a specific choice, it would be elle. He has some experience coaching with multiple teams (SAS, GS, SAC) with different styles, he's a previous player & champion which comes in handy and creates credibility when trying to lure great young players to the team or veterans, he was known for defense when he played, and should not be too strong minded to oppose management's direction and decisions about roster changes.

He will need strong assistants like most successful teams around the league. I think that is exactly why the rockets are interviewing sooo many people. They should hire most of the staff. This should limit "hiring friends" and promote coaching balance and expertise.

If only the Rockets could find a way to hire DREAM as a full-time BIG-MAN coach like Ewing @ ORL, then we would not have soo much trouble trying to get significant talent and player development. Look at what DREAM did for Dwight over the summer alone.

Not trying to be a "HOMER" but I honestly think that the Best Case Scenario in my opinion would be:

Mario Elle - HEAD COACH
    Mike Bud - Lead Ast COACH
    Sam Cassel - Ast COACH (G's)
    DREAM - Ast COACH (BIGS)

Elle should already have a relationship w/ Mike Bud (but this may cause a coaching challenge since Bud was a lead assistant under POP when both Elle and Bud were coaching in SA together). Then there is the obvious connection of Elle and Cassel & Dream. Elle and Cassel have been close friends and have previously opened businesses together. Not to mention that Cassel has been hands on with the development of young guards like J Wall and Nick Young this year. The biggest question is DREAM. This team MUST have an influential BIG MAN coach that has a proven track record of BIG man development. Who better to target than the Hall of Famer who every up and comming big man wants to work-out with.

This will significantly help DM with roster moves. PLAYERS would actually want to play here because of the coaching staff. It would be a player's environment with proven champions throughout the locker room. Every coach would have either played or coached themselves into a champtionship. There would be credibility in every word that any of them say.

19. worzel gummidge

I get the feeling the idea behind this, "leave no stone unturned" approach is simpler, it's a PR thing.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I keep seeing people suggest this, but still don't understand how it works. Can you fill in the blanks for me? At lease with Bima's hypothesis, there's a benefit for the franchise in the end.

1. Interview lots of coaches
    2. PR
    3. ???
    4. Profit!