1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Here's the deal to choose.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Screw_ston713, Feb 17, 2010.

1. BetterThanEver

Or they end up like the Pistons back in the Lottery with crappy overpaid free agent like Ben Gordon and Villanueva. Why would LeBron and Bosh take a multi million dollar paycut, especially with a new CBA coming out in 2012? They will always make more with their own team. The only other incentive for them to leave would be to chase a ring on a team like the Lakers(Payton, Malone).

2. Garner

Garner Member

I'm getting a Brad Miller jersey immediately!

3. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

All this waiting and looks like we are basically going to end up with draft picks. As the essential parts of the trade. Not going to lie, a bit disappointed.
    What does this mean about our plans the next few years, that we aren't going to try to compete for a title? I mean, I know we will get Yao back and all, but I thought we would try to get someone to go along with him. Therefore trying to win now. But draft picks seems more like a plan of the future. Not to say of course we won't try to make a move in the off-season or next season. Just thinking out loud.

4. 34to11

34to11 Member

I disagree.
    The belief that the Knicks' picks will be lottery type picks is built on faulty assumptions

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I agree with this. Not only has Thomas not lived up to expectations, he has been a problem in the locker room. Yes he has all world athleticism but seems to not have enough between the ears. The chicago deal helps us this year, but not enough to contend.

I like the Knick deal because of the picks and still believe Hill can develop. Hill has length, athleticism and size that you can't teach.

#65 mikol13, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  6. ArtV

ArtV Member

Miller >>>>>>> Hughes
    Salmon >>>> Jefffries
    Thomas => Hill

So on the surface the Chicago deal is far better than the NY deal but do NYs possible pick and pick swap tilt it in their favor?

7. clutch citizen

I think we need Bima to breakdown how the Chicago deal affects the Rockets' offseason compared to the NY deal

8. BetterThanEver

Max players like Kobe or Duncan usually stay with their teams, because they can get more money.

How did the last sub-500 teams do with cap space for a max free agent?

2009 Free Agency
    Pistons got Ben Gordon and Charlie V and are in lotto land.

2008 Free Agency
    76ers got Elton Brand and were considered big winners. Now, they are back in the lottery and have offered Brand to anybody that will take him.

The only way that those guys leave, is if their own team doesn't want to sign them. Then, the player is usually traded in a sign-and-trade instead of free agency. The players can get more money by signing with their own team and being traded.

If Joe Johnson and Bosh get tired of their teams and want to leave in free agency, they would take a sign and trade proposal for max dollars over a paycut in free agency. NY will have given up their assets in 2 1st round draft picks and expiring contract(Jeffries), so they have nothing to use in a sign and trade with Atlanta or Toronto, besides Gallinari and Curry(expiring). That's not enough to get it done.

The team is then left with paying max salaries to players that aren't worth the max, so that the home team doesn't match. It happens every year.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I would take the chicago deal if they Include their 2010 1st rd pick(which will be aroun 15-19)..... :eek:

--RB

10. sephiroth.hk

sephiroth.hk Member

I remember TD like magic offer more than spur offer when he know magic sign hill...
    But TD finally made a right decision when we look back.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Hahaha, perfect timing. I just woke up. :grin:

I find it pretty funny how Jonathan Feigen (whose articles I normally like) is taking the time to write an article talking about his preference for a Chicago deal, the parameters of which he knows NOTHING about.

Other than Brad Miller (the logical choice to make the salaries match), is there anyone/anything from Chicago that we KNOW the Rockets are getting? Is Tyrus Thomas definitely coming to Houston? Or would he be flipped to a third team for additional assets? Is John Salmons even included? There have been differing reports. (I would maintain, however, that Chicago has little incentive to include a first round pick unless the Rockets take Salmons off their hands.)

Which pick(s) from Chicago would be included? Feigen talks about "comparable draft picks". Okay, WHAT draft picks? It would have been nice if he had written the one sentence necessary to convey to his readers even what he THINKS the Chicago offer might be. Thomas, Salmons, Miller and a 2010 pick? A 2011 pick? A right to swap picks? A 2012 pick?

The fact of the matter is that, without knowing what's behind Door #2, I'm not going to choose a door just yet.

(But I bet the Knicks' offer will be better.)

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Since we're not going to be able to sign a big-time free agent next year outright, and if this is primarily about the draft picks:

IF you get a first rounder from Da Bulls this year,

Can't you just flip Brad Miller to New York for Jeffries for some combination of the aforementioned picks from New York? It's the cap space they want.

We don't want Hughes anyway.

Jeffries can't score but he can D up on most players.

It won't happen, but I mean, if you REAAAALLY wanted to get some draft picks....

13. mikol13

Supporting Member

I agree Bima, as it stands now I like the knick deal. The Chicago Tribune is now reporting that the Bulls may have added another player not named Hinrich or Salmons to the deal. If it's Noah I like it

14. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Member

I think Chicago might be the choice.

Either way the Rockets go, you can't look at it based on just this trade, they might flip a player to another team for something different.

When the dust settles, I think we all will be excited that DM turned a malcontent, disruptive player into a nice get that will provide great future assets to help build the team.

15. mikol13

Supporting Member

Something you've heard or just a gut feeling Stevie?

16. clutch citizen

I'm trying to figure out why the pieces in the Chicago deal haven't been leaked yet. Maybe the Rockets and Bulls are waiting on a third team?

17. BetterThanEver

I like the Orlando Magic though. They did ok with signing T-Mac instead of Duncan. Years after the Tim Duncan failure, the Magic just did a sign and trade with Seattle to get Rashard Lewis as their franchise player to pair with Howard.

They learned their lesson the first time. NY is just getting started on this lesson.

The NY times had a great article on free agency and premier players.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/sports/basketball/04lebron.html

18. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Member

What is even more impressive is that Morey would have pulled it off after announcing that they were going to trade McGrady. I always believed the Rockets hurt themselves by letting the league know they were trying to move McGrady. However, in retrospect, they really had no other option.

19. BetterThanEver

The original post said Tyrus Thomas, Brad Miller, and John Salmons.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FYI, the qualifying offer necessary to keep Tyrus Thomas as a restricted free agent this summer will be $6.26M. The entire reason that the Bulls are trying to trade Thomas NOW is that they are scared to death that he will ACCEPT that qualifying offer. Frankly, if I'm the Rockets, I wouldn't want to pay Thomas that much. So, you're basically looking at Tyrus Thomas being an UNRESTRICTED free agent this summer, meaning that Houston could lose Miller and Thomas to free agency and have nothing (in the form of future assets) to show for McGrady.

The Knicks will NOT be able to sign two max players AND keep McGrady. In order to get two max free agents, the Knicks would have to renounce their rights to both Tracy McGrady AND David Lee, losing them both for nothing. Yet another reason why I don't think the Knicks will be particularly great next season, no matter what.

I'm struggling with this myself. While I know that pick coming earlier (all else equal) is better than a pick coming later, I just have a feeling that the Knicks' 2011 pick will be better than the Bulls' 2010 pick. Sure, I know the Rockets would then essentially be giving up their own 2011 pick, but they'd also be getting the Knicks' 2012 pick, which I think ALSO might be better than the Bulls' 2010 pick.

Decisions, decisions.

I actually do not regret the Artest trade. Much like the Randy Johnson trade the Astros made in 1998, this deal (at the time) made the Rockets legitimate championship contenders. Unfortunately, largely due to injuries, it didn't work out. But hindsight is 20/20. Some people are complaining that Morey can't make the big deal or won't swing for the fences. Well, the Artest trade (essentially giving up two first round picks) was a big swing. And the Rockets got out of the first round for the first time in over a decade. I am satisfied that the Artest deal was a risk worth taking.

1 person likes this.