1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FEIGEN] "Good shot" Rockets could trade guard Barry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CrazyJoeDavola, Aug 31, 2009.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Not true at all. I sat courtside quite a few games this past season and Barry was always working the young guys on and off of the court. I can't tell you how many times I saw him yelling at someone to get to the right spot on the court, rotate on offense and defense, Especially AB and Wafer. No he didn't play like I had hoped but the vet presence was there with out a doubt

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Man...that was some time ago.

4. jason3333

jason3333 Member

we will not get anything but a roster spot, which is a good thing

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

When you have a healthy Yao and TMac, Barry can be effective, but with neither player, his declining skillsets are wasted on this team.

DD

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes. His shooting and ability to move without the ball were top notch. And one thing that can't be measured with a guy like him is the veteran leadership and teaching the younger guys. The Rockets value bringing in guys that have basketball IQs and understand what it takes to win. Some people may be dismissive of that, but its no coincidence that this team is able to maximize its talent better than any other.

That said, he he took a big step backwards in the ball-handling department. I don't think anyone expected him to be as turnover-prone as he was; handling the ball and being a smart passer as a tall wing-player was supposed to be one of his strengths. It could have been pretty useful with McGrady's absence.

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

roleplayers like barry were only supposedly to shine when we have tmac and yao healthy and playing.......they would play off yao and tmac...especially tmac with his awesome ability to create for others...now that he was basically disappearing from game 1 roleplayers like barry was never able to be effective.

in short---- no tmac--bad barry

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Working them is not the same thing as playing. Deke was able to play even though he was six years older than Barry. We needed Barry,especially with Wafer's erratic game,but Adelman realized than Brent couldn't get the job done.

9. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Contributing Member

The simple fact is Barry was brought in for his veteran presence and his ability to spread the floor and knock down the three.

He may have not worked out the way everyone planned but to be signed at the biannual exception is a great value for a veteran like him.

You can't knock DM for taking a chance on a guy like Barry and passing on guys like Ricky Davis :confused:.

Ricky Davis/Mike James/Flip Murray/Von Wafer (this last name may cause an additional 38 pages of Von lovers to come out of hiding... :D ) There is a reason why guys like this don't stick to one team.
    Ricky Davis is not a winner.

Barry may have lost a step but he is a winner. I would take a chance on a guy like that 10 out of 10 times over the previous choices. If he gets traded best of luck to him and thanks.

10. 1Bowler

1Bowler Member

yeah I see that happening just because we are trying to CLEAR SPACE ON THE ROSTER.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My memory is that a lot of Barry's TOs came from trying to do too much taking on the "point forward" (or "point shooting guard") role in McGrady's absense.

If Barry had stuck to the "Battier Gameplan" on offense, or the "Bren Barry in San Antonio Gameplan"-- make simple passes, open shots, drive when there is limited resistence-- he would not have been nearly has turnover prone. Instead, he was trying to be the 30-year-old version of Brent Barry and just didn't have the ability to get himself out of trouble once he drives into heavy defensive pressure or start trying to make too many fancy passes.

Another thing is that Barry would have been better if the team had the old Adelman Sacramento roster, adapted to play that passing/cutting-oriented offense.

As for his teaching role: I think it's valuable, but frankly, if that's his primary role, you could have hired him as an assistance coach and not eat up $2 million of salary space under the Collective Bargainign Agreement. Overall, I think the Rockets lost on that gamble (again, as I said earlier, at least partly due to McGrady's absence reducing the effectiveness of pure spot-up shooters), but everyone lost some gambles-- sometimes you get a Carl Landry, other times, a Joey Dorsey-- but $2 million gamble is a fairly small chunk of change in the overall scheme of things.

12. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Wouldn't mind taking Steve back. :D

13. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'd love getting Steve Novack back.

14. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

No to getting back Novak. I loved the guy but, at this point, we need less people for our roster then another guy and Novak's main skills won't do this team any good.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

SPLASH

I forgot he was even on the team.

Morey for GM of the year if he can get anything for Barry.

16. worzel gummidge

The 3 teams mentioned all have the cap space to absorb Barry's contract. Clippers want another PG and have been linked to Sessions and CJ Watson. Watson took up the Warriors QO today.

17. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree. Aaron Brooks couldn't run the offense to save his life. That's why alot of times Adelman put in Barry alongside Brooks to help him out.

18. Rockets9495

Rockets9495 Contributing Member

Sadly Barry was our best coach last year. You can't measure how much he taught everyone, including the coaches!!

19. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

After looking at the three teams mentioned, the only guys signed that make around Barry's salary for a swap would be:

Thunder - Thabo Sefolosha
    (I would love to add him, but it would take more than Barry to pry him away.)

Memphis - Hamed Haddadi
    (He recently dissed the Griz. Ego problem? We need a Center. Hmmmmm)

Clippers - Sebastian Telfair
    (let me think about it, um NO)

Clippers- Craig Smith
    (He is a decent PF, short but very stocky. Could play limited Center mins)

Clippers - Ricky Davis
    (Kind of a head case, but with some talent. We only have rookie SG's, so...)

----------------------------------------------------