1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FEIGEN] "Good shot" Rockets could trade guard Barry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CrazyJoeDavola, Aug 31, 2009.

1. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Trading Barry would make sense to add another roster spot. No sense in keeping him if we dont plan on using him this following year. Great point about not having Mcgrady's playmaking hurt Barry's game. AB a score first point, Kyle a non threat at the perimeter and Artest playing Mcgradys role certainly didn't help either. Honestly, there was just nothing for him last year. But if Tmac is back this year, can Barry still be effective? I think Morey brought him here in the first place because we needed a guy that is experienced playing under pressure and can come off the bench to knock down some big shots during crunch time. He's getting old, is he done? maybe. Wherever you go Brent, goodluck

2. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

barry was our most effective 2 guard in adelman's system. he cut great and was a great spot up shooter.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Rockets did their homework,but Barry looked better than he was because of the Spurs' players and their system. Brian Cook on the other hand is just down right awful.

4. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

too bad we never used him?

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

agreed....those guys are the only mistakes morey has consistently made. it seems like he has moved away from those types of acquisitions so it seems like he is learning from his mistakes.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Then,why are the Rockets looking to trade him? Which young player is going to replace him?

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Believe it or not, a lot of young guys don't listen to non producers from another team. Someone brought up sam mitchell before with kg, but mitchell had been with the wolves for a while before kg. Its almost impossible to have a impact when you can't play and your from another team. Deke had a impact because he had been with the team for 4 years and when he plays, you can see it. Too many times posters want to give another guys improvement to another guy. Brooks played better because he got time and gained confidence, not because barry was patting him on the back.

It was a poor move as noted by a lot of people last summer. I think it was saleem who talked about him being a zero in Sa and was always on the trading block. If Sa thought he was a major piece to the ring; how come they didn't even offer him a contract? He had signed a mle deals years earlier and they didn't even offer him a min deal. Instead they got a more athletic, younger, better version in Mason Jr with some mle money. If he was worth a wooden nickel, Sa would have offered him something to stay and finish his career.

Like DD has pointed out, the risk on these last thread players haven't worked out and really have just kept the team near lux tax land and cost les money to send off with 2nd rd picks in which morey has had to pay other teams to take. Then during the draft, the team buys those same 2nd rd picks they gave away with les money.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Not to paint those players with the same broad stroke, but they seem to have the same malcontent attitude problem reps that Morey wouldn't want near the other young guys on our team. The imagined positives that you think they would have brought would most likely would have been minimal, our fate would have been the same last year even with either of those players, considering the injuries to Yao and Tmac. In the meantime, Ricky Davis would prolly be teaching Aaron how to smoke weed and get by the drug testing, and Matt Barnes would just come in and collect his paycheck once everyone tunes out his wannabe gangsta schtick.

9. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Artest's rep didn't scare Morey. Those guys aren't much worse than Artest.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I really can't believe you're still pissing and moaning about a 37 year old player signed to a cheap short bi-annual exception contract. You seem to be mad that your scrub players weren't considered instead of the scrub players Morey instead signed. Who cares? The suggestions you've made aren't exactly Executive Of The Year material anyways.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Durvasa, u keep bringing up cook, but when he was aquired, I said situational player. When teams front yao, his range increases the travel distance. I've always said the type vs the actual player. I've always said a tim thomas/charlie V type or a camby type because imo scolandry is redundant.

Let me saay this again, morey has done a good job. I'm not going to call him the best deal maker in the league, but he's been ok. My problem has been the chain reaction that seems to move like molassas. Once Barry was signed, even if I didn't like It, head shouldve been gone at the same time. Maybe there were no takers, who knows, but it was a overload at that spot. It deosnt matter, barry was a wasted space and a waste of money. I hope he's gone and maybe the team can continue the transition.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Ahh but Artest was brought in for that 3rd major option Morey was looking for to alleviate TMac and Yao. Don't tell me Ricky or Barnes would have been major pieces. Alas, the plan went awry when TMac and Yao did their annual visit to the injured list.

And I remember distinctly from a thread here before the Artest trade that a clutchfans member ran into Adelman at Starbucks and was told by Adelman that it was his idea to get Artest, and Morey was initially against it.

Edit: clarification; ok it was the member's friend

Here it is:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=131024

#72 v3.0, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You thought enough of Brian Cook to recommend trading for him before the trade deadline at least a couple times.

1. "Can we please get a legit backup with size for Yao. I'd take Brian Cook, Elson,DJ Mbenga, someone with some size. Please, Morey, I know u see it. Why is head still on this roster?"

2. "Head and dorsey for Brian Cook."

I'm not criticizing you for it, you had your reasons. And there were other people who felt he'd basically be worthless for different reasons. Ultimately, Cook did not end up looking like a very useful player (situationally or otherwise).

My point is simply that reasonable people that understand the game can look at a player and draw different conclusions on how well he'll play. So I don't think its simply a matter of people watching Brent Barry with the Spurs to know he wouldn't be very good. Again, I presume some pretty informed basketball people with the Rockets did just that, and they were hopeful he could be a good player. Even the very best managed teams aren't going to bat 1.000 with every decision.

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I'd like to see Brian Cook and Tracy McGrady have a contest to see who can make the flattest 3pt shot. :D

15. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

16. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

I like Barry and hopes he would retire a Rocket like his brother and father. But we do have to trim the roster and he'd be on the top of the list of players to go.

With the injuries we dealt with last year, Barry's dimension to the team wasn't nearly as useful, but would still be a delight to have in the locker room. Plus, he's a hilarious character. I'd like to see him do some color commentating with Worrell.

17. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

It isn't to bad for Barry. He gets to return to the orginal team that drafted him and play in a city where he makes his offseason home. Playing for the Clippers will give Barry more time to spend with his family to surf, play beach volley ball, and oh yeah C-Walk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tawdmsHSYBY

18. worzel gummidge

If anything Barry and the Spurs were a bad fit. He wasn't really a Pops type player.

People forget his shot was starting to come around until his injury where he missed several weeks. When he came back he was gone for too long and Wafer had established himself.

19. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I feel bad if we let Barry go only because we break the whole "family retiring as a Rocket" thing we had going.

But I mean if we ship him to a place he likes, then I guess that's okay too.

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

man why couldnt we actually UUUSE these expiring contracts??!!!
    I mean a trade of cook+barry+battier for jason richardson + jared dudley would've been awwwwwwseom