1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Daryl Morey sees improvement for Rockets despite criticism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 25, 2014.

1. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I hate it when everyone knows NBA officials by name and look - meaning they are getting too much attention, way more than they should, comparing to other sports.

I don't like GM being around on media 24x7 either. DM is too talkative and getting much attention, which doesn't help deal making. With all the promises or unnecessary "deadlines" or next move "announcements", Rockets doesn't gain anything.

Just like Harden's comment of "role players" - may well be true, but unnecessary. There is no benefit to anyone.

2. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Starting SF - Parsons replaced with Ariza. Ariza all over the place in his production. Only really good year last year (a contract year).
    Backup PG - Lin replaced by Cannan. Cannan has almost 0 nba experience.
    Starting PF - I like Jones but starting him?
    Backup C - Asik replaced by Dorsey. Are you kidding me?
    3rd String PG - Ish Smith. Wtf. Look at this guys production..
    Other notable signings - Clint Capella- never 1 nba minute, Alonze Gee - a scrub used for salary matching purposes, Adrien (potentially a decent pickup)

Added chemistry and maturity are the ONLY arguments for being better but losing Parsons (one of the minute's played leaders on the team) blew up the Chemistry argument.

So you are left with maturity. Yes that will improve and the young guys will get better. So that has to be enough to cause the belief to be we are better. The fact is we just aren't any way you slice it.

3. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Dont blame Morey for the Bosh/Parsons thing but signing these dudes who are fringe NBA talent when their were better options is kinda iffy

Gonna reserve full Judgement till I actually see these so called "improvements" on the court but if i had to give an honest opinion, I dont trust any player on the bench come crunch time besides Daniels and thats assuming he sustains his play over a 82 game season...

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Ariza has not been all over the place with his production. He has gradually improved his 3 point shooting over the last 3 seasons. He is also a much better defensive player filling one of the Rockets biggest needs. It can easily be argued that Ariza is an upgrade for the Rockets team even if he isn't a better player than Parsons.

Asik just didn't do very much for us last year minus the playoffs. Dorsey can replace his production.

Canaan is a big question mark but he has upside and it's not unrealistic to think that he could put up better numbers than Lin did last year.

5. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

He logically deflects your rubber bullets with his paddle of justice
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mHcqOx3HLGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think the team will be better heading into next season than we were heading into this past season.

Lin wasn't good, Asik barely played for a good portion and he's not all that anyways...And I think Ariza is an upgrade over Parsons; especially for what this team needs. Improve the depth, get Beverly and TJones to take some strides forward.

7. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Granted Ariza is better defensively, but rebounding him vs Chandler is probably a wash. We got worse (potentially much worse) rebounding as a team and potentially worse defensively through the rotation losing Asik for Dorsey. Adrien is unlikely to be a real rotation player, so his addition means little to how much better we are.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The guy, who's absence you claim will blow up chemistry, is the one who left bad mouthing people. Not having that kind of person in here is a win....besides, he was great with Lin more than anyone, and Jeremy is gone too. The other guys had better relationships with Patrick/Howard and between themselves.

i think the guys we have know will look two feed off of harden and howard. As long as both sides know that, and it looks like they do, the chemistry should progress throughout the season.

9. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

As a GM, if you lose Parsons, Lin and Asik for almost nothing, You are doing pretty bad job.

10. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That's not what he said. He said they got lots of praise when they Howard, and lots of criticism when they missed on Bosh, because there is no in between in the media.

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Other than if he had a crystal ball, he could have traded Parsons and Lin for Rondo last February. He would have been crucified for giving up Parsons for a PG coming off an ACL injury, but who knew we would have lost him for nothing? Then we still could have done the Ariza sign and trade for Asik plus the N.O. pick this summer. Now it will cost us at least the N.O. pick to get Rondo, plus we would have also had our own 2015 pick.

12. JD88

JD88 Member

I think our record will be similar to last year.

First year starter Bev and first year starter Jones would improve I'd assume.

13. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Asik grabbed 8 rebounds in 20 mins last season, when he played (half of the season). You say Dorsey can replace his production, based on what?

Similar to prediction of Canaan, better than 12-4, because of "upside"?

14. Houston79Astro

It Is all about flexibility bro. Ariza was cheaper and just as effective of a player as parsons. Cannon is way cheaper and probably a better fit then Lin. As for Asik.... I shall give you that. Then again he missed 50 games last year...

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Huh? if it's a wash between CP and Ariza, how did we get worse? Asik only played half the year. We got half a year of his rebounding and defense AND for limited minutes. He's good, but he's not an in-his-prime KG who played 40 mpg. That would be hard to match, even if he only played half a season. You're basically asking Dorsey to replace Asik's reputation, not his actual contributions.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It's a good thing that Ariza, a better 1st round pick and other avenues to acquire talent aren't considered "almost nothing"

1 person likes this.
  17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

So the funny thing about this is that Lin was viewed as a negative asset. Not sure what you expected to get for him. Or what anyone who says things like "losing Lin for nothing hurts the Rockets" expected out of any deal for Lin. It's interesting because sometimes addition by subtraction ends up working out. When Rafer was traded away Brooks was allowed to flourish. I can see Canaan (similar play style to a young Aaron Brooks) flourishing this season.

Asik did not want to be here and was turned into a likely lotto pick.

Losing out on Parsons is true. But there's multiple aspects to this that have been discussed ad nauseum on here. Plus he was replaced with Ariza.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're playing "let's trade basketball cards" ...that's not how the NBA works.

19. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Lin would still be on this team if it wasn't for the poison pill contract.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Or not. NY would have matched...