1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Daryl Morey sees improvement for Rockets despite criticism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Centerville

Centerville Member

Before the Rockets, he played for the Lakers, Magic and Knicks, right?

So then comparing the TO percentages of Ariza and Parsons doesn't actually tell us much at all.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Ariza's issue was coming here to look for a bigger role. Had he stayed within the role he played in LA, he probably would have stuck longer with one team. Instead he wasted his first stint here and in NO trying to do too much, before settling back down in Wash.

3. okeezie

okeezie Member

Yes it does. Ariza is not there to handle the ball. He is there to finish. Parsons handled the ball and turned it over. Ariza scored more with his transition opportunities and Parsons turned the ball over more.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Watch how Ariza played this past year. He's not trying to dribble up court, he's letting the pg do it and waits to get it at the 3 pt line. In the half court, he's getting open and more of a spot up shooter.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/mXRrhxESABY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/mXRrhxESABY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

5. Centerville

Centerville Member

So then we all agree with DaDakota that Ariza will be fine if he doesn't try to dribble, and it wasn't really necessary to post those TO stats at all.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

A lot of posters say things like what DD said, but it's because they haven't watched Ariza since he left here...That's referring to him losing dribbles because he's trying too hard to create/make moves. It's not like he's going to have issues just dribbling at any time because he lacks the ability to dribble. He's fine, but just shouldn't try to get fancy.

7. NotChandlerParsons

I'll be honest, the fact that Ariza was in a contract year scares me a lot. But if he can just do what he did for the Wizards, we'll be in good shape.

8. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Got it backwards, lower number is better... Asik is much better in this regard, but that most likely due to team emphasis. See Jeff Adrien Dtrg numbers from CHA then MIL, night and day. I think these new guys all will be ready to kill on defense. I'm excited.

9. okeezie

okeezie Member

Actually it was. Low turnovers means low turnovers. Ariza turns the ball over less than Parsons. The reasons don't matter. Less turnovers means less fastbreak points for the other team. And we were close to the worst team in the league in TOs per game which skewed our defensive numbers downward. The turnovers is why we could not beat the Clippers or OKC last year. With Lin and Parsons gone I expect that number to drop.

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Ariza is a more efficient and effective fast break basketball player than parsons

He had the same volume with more points and a third less turnovers

What's so hard to understand about that?

11. okeezie

okeezie Member

What he said!

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wonder if we can get another backup center in J. O' Neil. This might free up Dorsey to play some defense against some 4's, in addition to his backup 5 role.

I feel Dorsey will have foul problems, but I am intrigued if he can get physical against Griffin, LMA, Dirk, Anthony Davis, Duncan. It's too much to expect Adrein, Jones, and D-Mo to handle it all.

Capela is too young and raw right now. He will need to spend a lot of time in the D-League.

I would appreciate some feedback.

13. AkeemOlaDROwon

I love how some media outlets are saying we are having the worst offseason amongst all NBA teams but last time I checked there's a racist owner who's status is in limbo and the team including coach may be boycotting. I really do love the hate. We will relish all this when we prove the skeptics wrong. I will bask in this hate and dive into it like Scrooge McDuck.

14. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

you never know the team could have improved in terms of chemistry, harden and howard get another year together now, but the few new pieces will have to gel, the problem is, the bench still hasn't improved all that much. is there any one else that could be had for a decent bench?

also dmo maybe some others could hve improved in offseason too so there's that

15. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I don't mind Morey always looking to make the team better. I want him to always find ways to make this team closer to its goal. That's his job. But his willingness to find that 3rd star will continued to crippled this team until he actually land one.

The Rockets will never improve much because of the coaching staff and the unwillingness to find veterans that will add depth to this team. I know once the Rockets add that 3rd star, then they will start committing to adding depth and veteran.

But what happens if Morey is unable to land that player? Is he going to continue to hunt around while the Rockets are stuck in the same position, a great team but not yet elite due to not enough talent and depth. How many more years will it take for Morey to stop and just build this team that will fit Harden and Howard?

This year will probably be another early exit in the playoffs. This Rockets team isn't as good as the team last year. It might improve during the season but not by much. Guys like Dorsey, Ish Smith isn't good enough to make an impact, and guys like Nick Johnson and Daniels are still inexperience.

Hopefully this season Morey will find more help or the starters will be run down by playoffs because of the amount of minutes they play.

16. PeppermintCandy

Like others have said, this team has not improved. In fact it's one extended injury to Howard or Harden (knock on wood) away from the season going into a tailspin. Last season's team was able to withstand such a hit and at least tread water without one of its stars in the regular season because of its roster depth. This season's team, as it stands, does not have that luxury.

17. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

If Dwight and Harden would be willing to run the PNR more we would still be unstoppable. Hopefully after a year of playing together, they'll both be more motivated to put aside their differences and work together.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Without rehashing most of the same old arguments...

Moaray observation that its either "he's awesome for getting Howard or he's horrible for missing out on Bosh and losing Parsons"... well, there is plenty of middle ground. What does he want to hear? "Gee... the Rockets had an OK offseason"? or "Gee, that was an adequate set of moves"? Or even Gee, he tried hard"? Sure, we can all give Moory a pat on the head, but I think everyone, including the Rockets front office, has to understand that expectations have risen since acquiring two top ten talents and just getting into the playoffs can't be a team objective anymore. So fans are perfectly justified in asking... what has the team done to contend?

Second, it sure seems that all last year we heard that Asik was a top C in the league, and the best backup C in the NBA. I completely understand unhappiness with and I criticize his mid season pout. But that said... people are now believing that someone who wasn't even in the NBA the last few seasons is going to replace Asik's contribution? Color me very skeptical.

I am still a fan or the Rocket's GM, who I think is one of the best in the NBA. But it is that belief that holds him to that standard... and so far, IMO he has not performed to that standard this off season.... and ultimately, it will be the team's record that will reflect that.

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

Umm in order to replace Asik's contribution last year he would have to overpay and commit to someone longer than he should. Use logic people.

20. wadero

wadero Member

It won't matter we still can't watch game on TV SMDH!