1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Daryl Morey sees improvement for Rockets despite criticism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 25, 2014.

1. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Why do you think the running game won't suffer when two of the driven forces of the running game are gone?

2. okeezie

okeezie Member

I know the turnover game will be better without those 2.

3. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

It's true, he gambled and lost big time. He thought the odds of getting one of these players were better than they actually were. Except for the Ariza signing, the offseason has been an absolute disaster. I guess acknowledging this doesn't serve any purpose for Morey. But I doubt many people buy into the belief that the team as it stands is actually better than last year's.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Where did you get that? He said they weren't great. It's the payoff would have been great.

I don't understand the thought that it was terrible. Even if you dont think we are better now, or even the same, we wouldn't be that much worse either. Is that a terrible thing? Bad, possibly yes, but terrible? You gave up $25 of your $100 for a shot at winning a million bucks, you lost, but got back $20 anyway. That's terrible?? Really?

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Parson's was very good in transition with a ppp of 1.19. Ariza, however is even better with a ppp of 1.3. That's an elite level that compares to Lebron's ppp of 1.33 in transition.

Ariza had 296 possessions in transition. Parsons had 304 . So the numbers are almost identical except Parsons played more minutes.

Parsons turned the ball over 12.5% of his possession in transition. Ariza only turned it over 8.4% of his possessions in transition.

Also, if the Rockets emphasis on defense pays off then hopefully that translates in to forcing turnovers which will provide even more opportunities to run. We weren't very good at forcing turnovers the last couple of years.

To answer your question, losing a SF who was good in transition but replacing him with another SF that is even better in transition isn't a bad thing for our running game.

I don't think that the fact that we no longer have our backup point guard means that our running game is going to take a step backwards.

1 person likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If Ariza tries to dribble it will be even worse.

DD

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Ariza has better number in transition than Parsons with an almost identical number of possessions. Parsons turns the ball over about 30% more in transition than Ariza.

8. okeezie

okeezie Member

But he won't. As he mentioned in his phone conference he understands his strengths and weaknesses now. He didn't in Washington. As aelliot just stated above, look at his transition efficiency and turnover %. Looks like a player who has matured and learned what he must do to help his team win.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Outstanding.

Pretty boy will be missed, but his replacement is more than capable, especially when you consider Ariza's defense

10. okeezie

okeezie Member

If you factor in Lin and Parsons mind numbingly dumb turnovers (jumping in the air with nowhere to go), Asik not being able to catch and losing the ball out of bounds consistently, and all of the botched layups all three of them are well known for then we might see addition by subtraction. Less turnovers and missed layups equals increased offensive opportunities and better transition defense. I apologize if this is too difficult to comprehend for those simple minds out here on Clutchfans.

11. okeezie

okeezie Member

You are pissing people off by actually having facts to back up your posts. It's so much easier for the naysayers can pop off with no facts. Then they hide when proven wrong or move to the next asinine point. Thank you for your attention to detail.

12. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

So with those monster numbers, better than an elite defensive center, he couldn't stay in the league?

13. NotChandlerParsons

Lower DRTG is better :confused:

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're missing the point. I'm sure if Dwight was injured and we needed a full time center, the argument wouldn't be the same. The further you get away from his actual MPG, the less likely he is to keep producing at that rate, but in limited minutes, it's more accurate. That's what we need, limited minutes.

A player like him would earn more overseas than he would here. Like 200K-400K more. That's likely a big reason why he left.

Hmm, yeah, i think so...should mean points allowed per 100 pos, unless it's just some calculated score.

#214 RV6, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  15. Hmm

Hmm Member

If that's our goal this season and we meet it, does that mean McHale get's extended.. and would you be okay with that..?

16. valorita

valorita Member

Is Ariza the new Battier?

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Excellent posts. The facts and statistics confirm what you have been saying. All the one liner generalizations in the world cannot argue against that. I'd like to see someone post an actual rebuttal to your assertions. I imagine it would be tough to do so.

18. Centerville

Centerville Member

Honest question, because I don't know: what counts as a "possession" in transition? Is it handling the ball and running the break, or does taking a pass from Wall and putting up a three also count as a "possession"?

I have to admit, I'm surprised that with all these elite analytics, Ariza has bounced around to so many teams over the years.

19. okeezie

okeezie Member

He went from us to NO to Washington then back to us. Only traded twice. He left twice to sign with us. And a possession is either handling the ball or shooting it so both. He is a finisher and is comfortable with that role.

20. okeezie

okeezie Member

As I stated earlier no one will. Post facts and everyone hides.