1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] D'Antoni emerges as front-runner for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 18, 2016.

?

Would you agree with the decision to hire Mike D'Antoni as head coach?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2016.
  1. YES

12.3%
  2. NO

87.7%
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you look at Morey's philosophy it's about finding value and maximizing value from small investments.

Hiring a popular name like JVG will require a lot of money.

Hiring a coaching with a string of bad jobs like D'Antoni and Mike Brown would be cheap.

JVG would also ask for more control while Pringles wouldn't.

Les and Morey can leverage this to their advantage better than just paying $35 million for a popular coach.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

False. JVG did not suck when he left coaching, and he has been very successful as a broadcaster. He got fired as a coach but didn't suck. Mike D has sucked in his last two gigs.

3. htown1984

htown1984 Member

I dunno this hire does not make sense to me.. Would rather have Messina as head coach. Atleast we dont know how he would do- and that itself is intersting

4. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

So then it is confirmed Howard is leaving? If he wasn't planning to, he is now. LOL.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

As long as we sign a legit defense first assistant coach then I'm fine. Pringles is a very talented veteran offensive coach, no longer would we ever have to worry about offensive plays or a offensive system, this guy delivers big on that end.

Now on defense, we DEFINITELY need a defense first assistant to completely run the defensive end. As long as we get that I'm good. I would have been really happy with a defensive head coach with Mikey D as the assistant, and I will be equally happy with Mikey D as the head coach with a great defensive assistant coach to go along with him.

The defensive assistant HAS to be legit though for this to work out.

6. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

I just farted, and it stinks.....

Gee Les, you idiot!

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

And I wouldn't blame them if they bailed.

And I won't blame Harden if he bails in 2 years.

Mike D'Antoni?

[​IMG]

Humor me, give me a mock interview. What is he selling Les?

2005 Phoenix Suns? 2015 Golden State Warriors? Promising to bring over Nash from Golden State? (I think he's consultant or shooting coach or something over there)

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

+1 on Ron Adams. Adams got Harden to play defense in OKC. There is a connection there.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

JVG left after getting bounced out of the first round just like D'Antoni did.

What's the ****ing difference? When did JVG become this great coach? HE SUCKED HERE.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Dantoni's only here to spend the next two years telling Harden how lame it would be to play for LA. This is about the long play and keeping Harden here long term people.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who is feeding the media this garbage? If it's anybody with the Rockets, they need to really rethink how smart the front office really is.

Defensive coordinators in basketball? Sure. Whatever. I'm sure that's the reason D'antoni's teams didn't play defense. He didn't have a defensive assistant. Sure. Whatever. This sucks. Embarrassing.

Retread coach to the max.

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Sidenote: If Im not mistaken the Suns reached the conference finals even after D'antoni left with Alvin Gentry no?

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

After the news of D'Antoni came out in the press, I was alarmed like so many others on the board.

I did not expect Les to change his mind after interviewing him. We are the laughing stock of the league. Smh.

14. TreP3

TreP3 Contributing Member

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He never had teams that sucked and were as dysfunctional as what D'antoni's most recent stops showcased.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You asked for the difference between the 2 situations of the coaches. I gave it to you. JVG and D'Antoni are not coming from any kind of comparable situation.

If you are just gonna ignore what everyone wrote, don't bother responding

1 person likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

2 years after he left. (2009-10)

18. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

The worst thing about Les is he makes Charles Barkley right. This team is the Titanic. We are in for the hell that is Knicks fandom.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Les trying to make sure Dwight doesn't resign. He probably wants him gone. This would ensure that.

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Nah. It still won't work out. Pringle's schtick is to gas out and run full gonzo on the offensive side, leaving nothing for the defense. A defensive minded assistant coach can't fix the root cause.