1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] D'Antoni emerges as front-runner for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 18, 2016.

?

Would you agree with the decision to hire Mike D'Antoni as head coach?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2016.
  1. YES

12.3%
  2. NO

87.7%
  1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of Dantoni, but I will say Harden's basketball IQ is higher than he's going to get credit for, and it's possible that Pringles can make better use of him. He's got great court vision and is a willing passer when he has guys that can actually do something with the pass.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not only that but what they say is absolutely true.

JVG saying JBB was a good coach well we see the record, we see how the team played under him.

What Nash said IS TRUE. He had his best years under MDA. What Kerr said is true, what they are doing in GSW is the same thing as they did in PHX except Curry is a lot better than Nash.

Didn't see this post earlier but what kind of fan hopes the team loses to have their point proven?

Even I was happy when McHale took them to the WCF even though it made me look bad for ragging on them. I wanted McHale to win a championship, screw my stupid little opinion that he was a bad coach.

How about you hope if we hire MDA that he shuts up the haters and the Rockets are the best team in the NBA as a result and make a run to the finals? How about that?

1 person likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We do not have players for Pringles. Harden is no Pringles player, he is a

stagnant, heavy ISO player who passes only when he feels like it, defends

when he feels like it, swiping at players.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree with BigM, Harden's BBIQ is severely underrated. Give him someone to pass to and make plays for and he'd do it.

People think Harden should work off the ball here...for who? Who else do we have that can break down a defender and give Harden the ball?

Our roster sucks, that will be the same for any coach. Why not bring in a guy whose specialty is getting creative on offense and getting the most out of players offensive talents?

We do not have the players for MDA, but we have the players for JVG? I don't think so. What LZ said is correct.

Also, remember when Dwight went out last season? How did the Rockets look when it was up to Harden and only Harden to carry the offense? Getting the ball up and down the court and playing off that? Said it a while then but I think Harden played a lot more free knowing that he didn't have to randomly give some at best average low post player post up touches.

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Agree with everything you posted but I think we do have the players for MDA to a extent.
    Harden
    Capela
    Bev
    Harrell
    Dekker
    KJ
    Dmo
    Could all thrive with MDA.

6. cmutt

cmutt Member

Could this be a ploy just to get Dwight Howard to opt out?

Because they know that DH hates D'Antoni.

Food for thought.

7. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As Rockets move toward formal offer to Mike D'Antoni, organization working to shape strong staff around him, sources tell <a href="https://twitter.com/TheVertical">@TheVertical</a>.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/733283351822487553">May 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It should be noted that David Blatt remains up for the head coaching job in Houston, where Mike D'Antoni is regarded as a leading candidate.</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/733283678340550656">May 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. MistaK

MistaK Member

...well sounds like it's pretty much a done deal then. Definitely wouldn't have been my first choice for a coach, but D'Antoni isn't as horrible a coach as some make him out to be. Hopefully the assistants will be some great defensive coordinators at least.

10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

No he is not. D'Antoni is a better coach than McHale and Bickerstaff. If they give D'Antoni an assistant with great defensive philosophy. The Rockets will be fine.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You forgot Beasley too who I think would have a huge role on a MDA coached team.

So when Dwight leaves our best defensive player will be our PG and that sounds like a JVG roster to people? I get that the idea would be that JVG would make the team better defensively overall no matter what you give him to work with and I agree with that. I just think MDA is on the other side of that coin.

As for Blatt, that is...I don't know. Seems like a great strategist but he was punked by Lebron. At least MDA has a history of clashing with stars (Melo, Kobe) for trying to run his stuff. At least MDA is going to put up a fight with Harden to run his system.

12. bynxdr88

bynxdr88 Member

D antoni sucks... Laker fans didnt even bother to greet him.. I think its just a ploy to get howard to opt out. I think howard willlopt in depending on the coach because he wants to have a strong season to land a big contract... Houston is broken... This is all because of DARYL "r****ded" MOREY!!!! We are not golden state!!!!! You cannot beat them in their own game!!! Morey must be fired!!!!!!!!!!

13. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

While I think he is a real coach he's not the right coach for Harden.

14. bynxdr88

bynxdr88 Member

Mike no defense d antoni!!! Omg harden will not improve his defense with this coach.... I still go for kenny the jet smith

15. bynxdr88

bynxdr88 Member

Correct... Harden will not improve.. They are just doing this for howard to opt out.. What a non sense move.. No players would want to play for a broken team... Morey is not using is Iq omg

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So what's the latest? I am totally confused.

Sources on Day 1: Mauri moving fast to try and secure Vogel
    Sources on Day 2: JVG is the leading candidate and pretty much a done deal
    Sources on Day 3: Pringles is the front runner for the coaching position
    Sources on Day 4: Blatt is still in the picture????

#fluid

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Soon this will not be our problem, if we're not landing Durant (which i think it's almost a given at this point ) and/or other really good players Harden is gone next year.

18. htown1984

htown1984 Member

i dont understand this ploy.. I hope Howard Opts In- just to troll the Rockets.

what kind of buisness are they are running- hiring a coach just to have a player opt out... Seriously.. Thats so wrong in a lot of ways..

I think future free agents will take notice on this shady tactics

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Headlined by Chris Finch I'm sure, and maybe some dudes whose dads were NBA coaches.

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

True I forgot about Beasley.