1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] D'Antoni emerges as front-runner for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 18, 2016.

?

Would you agree with the decision to hire Mike D'Antoni as head coach?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2016.
  1. YES

12.3%
  2. NO

87.7%
  1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Perhaps because Le$ said all the coach need to listen to him...

Just brick 3 and pace up for offense.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So, at the height of his success he's taken the Pacers to the ECF twice and took over a bad team to do that? Sounds a lot like MDA's PHX stint

3. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

This.

I feel hopeless for future. Sign.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The talent level Indiana had was hardly comparable to the talent Phoenix had during its run with D'Antoni. If you want to say the results, ergo the coaching level, are the same then who was even a top-3 MVP candidate, let alone a two-time winner, for Indy during its run?

It's one thing to coattail ride one of the greatest players of his era but it's another thing to squeeze out an All-Star caliber season or two out of Lance Stephenson.

5. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I still think this is a joke....

After so long time waiting, after 15 more candidates to interview, you tell me we will hire MDA now ???

WTF????!!!!!!???!!!

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

"Cringe":Check
    "Outlier": Still lingering off of the grid as the smoke decides where to exhale. Can you surprise me with one of those Morey Swipes just in case?

Control? Sure, okay, but Let's discuss OUR vision.

Love this team unconditionally, but what a weird, weird year+

7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Perhaps Barkley is right.

Rockets organization is just sucking.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You once asked me why I was pessimistic. Its because of this stupid ass front office. They've been making stupid moves for a number of years, and the worst part is they compound one another instead of learning from screw ups.

9. steddinotayto

It's not the mustache that makes me cringe.
    It's not the lack of emphasis on defense that makes me cringe.
    It's not even the track record of alienating his players (especially his best ones) that makes me cringe.
    It's not even his disturbing pattern of resigning before his contract is up that makes me cringe.

While all of those are stress-inducing enough, the one thing that makes me cringe is that whatever offense he sold Les on is old news. There's nothing revolutionary about his Phoenix offense anymore. You can find it peppered all over the league by now with Golden State being at the forefront. Hell, the Rockets were top 7 the past four years in pace.

If Les was sold on the old Phoenix offense and whatever promises D'Antoni made during his pitch about running a high octane offense then you know it's time to just wait for Les to sell this team. It happens to every sports franchise and it seems to be happening right now.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, Nash was a two time MVP thanks in large part to D'antoni's system.Not like he spent his career dominating before the Suns.

Sort of like Curry huh? An All-star player under Jackson and suddenly a generational player under Kerr...

11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Where's my Delfino GIF?

[​IMG]
    Ah, there it is.

12. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Nash was great with Dallas too...

13. steddinotayto

Again, since you're wanting to badly to put Vogel in the same group as D'Antoni, give me one player during Vogel's tenure at Indiana that was even a legitimate top-3 MVP candidate and I'll shut up. The only thing they have in common is that they got their teams to the conference finals. How they got their and with what personnel varied a good amount.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nash was an elite top 5 player in Phoenix, not in Dallas.

Vogel had Paul George and David West and did that in the East. How much do you value Casey as a coach? The East sucked then as it sucks now, the East has sucked for more than a decade now producing 2 legit contenders if the NBA is lucky.

Point is this, Nash was helped by D'Antoni to become the player he became. Just like Curry is now by Kerr.

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Dirk was the main guy in Dallas, Nash was still an all star...comeon there is no way you don't know this.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Les should just sell the team. He's crossed the line between trying to win championships and just trying to make money. He probably crossed that line a long time ago actually when he changed our uniforms to coincide with Yao to lure more Chinese fans but it's pretty obvious now. He just wants an entertaining product. Sell the team Les. We don't give a crap about how you win, just win.

17. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I don't think Nash is MVP in Phoenix because of MDA.

If you think that, you are totally wrong.

18. steddinotayto

So, what, you think by bringing in D'Antoni that he's going to open up the floodgates for Harden and company? I don't know how you feel about this potential hire as I, admittedly, haven't read this entire thread but D'Antoni eventual tenure in Houston will end the same way it ended for him in LA and NY--with him negotiating a buyout when the going gets tough.

19. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I agree this.

Le$ should run some circus to watch monkey show...

Basketball? no, it's not all star game.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And you know that Nash played much better under MDA right?

Pretty sure Nash would tell you the same thing...

What proof of that is there? Sounds like random guessing. CFs thought Kerr would be a failure, not sure why I'd just follow the group think when it comes to analyzing coaches here.

Why would he fail? Anything more than "He failed before." that we can discuss about why he would he would fail here?