1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] D'Antoni emerges as front-runner for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 18, 2016.

?

Would you agree with the decision to hire Mike D'Antoni as head coach?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2016.
  1. YES

12.3%
  2. NO

87.7%
  1. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Jvg is better but, atleast we dont have to worry about scoring anymore.... Lets think of this from a 5yr olds persepctive. The rockets this season couldnt score or defend, at least we are fixing one of the issues here as a worst case scenario....Harden will be forced to change his outlook at least.

2. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Also another fun tid bit: Josh Smith and Dwight Howard played in AAU together.

1 person likes this.
  3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

You're killing me Les!!!! :mad:

3 people like this.
  4. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

My Spurs brethren are laughing at me this moment saying D'Antoni will sure as hell shore up the rockets pitiful defense when Pigs fly LOL.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

D'Antoni hasn't been out of coaching, he has been doing a consistently terrible job for close to a decade now.

JVG, at least through his commentary, seems to have a more open mind to the modern NBA.

6. rocketsmetalspd

Just out to sell tickets with high pace offense instead going after Defense for Chips I believe.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is so infuriating.

8. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

It would be a terrible hire

Well, it's sad that we have a owner who knows nothing about basketball

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Because people's biggest gripe about this team this season is lack of structure and discipline on defense. Especially Harden who seemed to have had a positive effect from being coached by the Team USA coaches have went back to his old ways.

D'antoni have proven he isn't a capable coach without prime Steve Nash on his team, his recent coaching gigs have all ended in failures.

There's really nothing attractive about D'Antoni at this point, his offense is but a relic from 10 years ago and did not seem to work anywhere else.

This is just Les being Les and still foaming over the Mouth about 2005 Phoenix Suns

10. bmd

bmd Member

D'Antoni is probably a better coach than he gets credit for. He was the coach of some really bad teams in the Lakers and Knicks which clouded people's view of him as a coach.

He's not my first choice, but he's a better coach than people give him credit for. Plus who knows what he said in the interview. He may have been very impressive.

Patience likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Fun facts about D'Antoni:

He will stab the GM in the back and within the next year will have final say and power in the organization.

He will also bad mouth his own players to the media confidentially and cause friction.

He will make the Rockets a top 2 offense next season.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

does that mean we are getting Bargnani, hurray

13. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

Just stop...

14. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I am frowning

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Didn't he say last night he had 2 guys on the inside saying he doesn't have another formal interview scheduled?

16. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I can't believe this right now smh... bring back jvg please

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Rockets will ”consider the staff he will assemble as a major consideration"?

What does that mean?

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

His last two coaching gigs make it appear that he is getting worse, not better. JVG never sucked.

JVG went to the Finals. Offense while ignoring defense doesn't appear to win in this league.

This team needs structure. I think JVG is better for that.

At the end of the day, Les paid the $$ for this team and HE likes his teams to play/look a certain type of way. What can you do when your owner puts style ahead of winning? It all starts at the top.

Ugh, I don't think I can continue to fully support a team when the owner cares more about entertainment than winning.

19. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

Maybe its a smoke screen to chase off Duhwite. After he goes somewhere else Les picks up Sam Dalembert on the cheap. Morey has a history of great centers. I mean take away Yao and Dwight and you have...

...well maybe we should keep Dwight.

20. JD88

JD88 Member

GS was 15th in PPG allowed last season...

Defense wins championships when your offense is on point. Additionally, a good offense hides your defense. You won't find very many champions outside the top 10 on offense unless they A) have elite defense or B) have a very low TO rate...

2015-16
    GS #1
    OKC #2
    CLE #8
    2014-15 GS #1
    2013-14 SA #6
    2012-13 MIA #5
    2011-12 MIA #7

We have offense, it's just not good.