1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Feigen] D'Antoni emerges as front-runner for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 18, 2016.

?

Would you agree with the decision to hire Mike D'Antoni as head coach?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2016.
  1. YES

12.3%
  2. NO

87.7%
  1. Sanity2disChaos

Unless llu (nash liiiiiite)l is coming over and we nab Whiteside ( same game a stoudamire)..... Do Not Want.

2. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

If we are about to blow it up, why not hire Kenny Smith?? He at least had a fan club of more than 1 person.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sanity2disChaos

Fixed

1 person likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Rockets met with D'Antoni twice. A formal interview and a 1-1 he had with the owner.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/732984044372267008">May 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

DISCLAIMER: Again, D'Antoni wouldn't be my choice here.

That said, the problems with NY and LA were less about dysfunction and more about poor roster-building. The Lakers essentially mortgaged their entire depth and future for a 39-year-old Steve Nash with a creaky back and free-agent-to-be Dwight Howard coming off major back surgery. Both of those deals were made before D'Antoni entered the picture. Then Kobe blew out his Achilles, and that was basically it for his career.

In NY, you had post-microfracture Stoudemire making $100MM, and the constant parade of veteran "name" players to appease Carmelo while clogging up the salary cap. Everyone hyped up the "dysfunction" angles because it's NY/LA and that's what sells, but the reality is that those two teams were constructed very poorly. Fans will always bite on the narratives that their team's struggles are due to "bad chemistry/culture" rather than simply not being good enough, because it's a lot easier to change a coach than it is to rebuild the roster.

Houston isn't in a terrible spot. There's Harden and $40+ million in cap space this summer, and other than maybe Brewer, there isn't really a debilitating contract on the entire roster. There are SOME cheap young players of note, and the future draft cupboard isn't barren.

You're right that D'Antoni wouldn't be walking into the Warriors, but there's a ton more options here than with those NY/LA teams. Those were boxed in by years and years of poor GM decisions and/or aging star players on max contracts. Houston isn't in THAT bad of a situation.

2 people like this.
  6. rocketsmetalspd

Voted Yes but seriously is the best Les can do? Have to stick to my team, once again left hoping for the best. I hope they do have a Defensive minded assistant coaches in line: Mario Elie, Sam Cassell, and someone else.

1 person likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets eye Mike D’Antoni plan that crashed with Knicks

1 person likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much how I feel about it.

Also, we should read up on that CF thread in the dish of what everyone thought of the Kerr hire for the warriors...

Uninspiring, yes. Absolutely. But if a year from now it has worked out I wouldn't be surprised at all. I can imagine Morey flipping the roster for one, I mean we all realize this team will look drastically different right? And I can see D'antoni after years of being relegated to assistant coaching coming in with an improved outlook at the job.

Also, I think Beasley would beast in a D'antoni lineup. Like straight up all-star consideration beast.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm so pissed right now. Mike f****** D'Antoni?!!! You've got to be kidding me!!!

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That's what morey does best. And I don't believe for one second this is all on les. I think if morey had to pick a coach he WANTED his perfect coach would be MDA. Now is morey smart enough to know that JVG would fix a lot of our main problems...yes. But I'm not fully convinced that morey WANTED him. Now if morey resigns then that's a whole other conversation.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden and Pringles will not get along.

Pringles only gets along with Nash and Jeremy Lin.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, i honestly see it the same way, just a feeling though.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

After doing some more research, I'm concerned about this signing. The guy doesn't seem to have any interpersonal skills, and that's a pattern.

Just might be that he doesn't have the personality to motivate millenials the new generation to give 100% on and off the court.

Les is too old to be making these decisions.

14. trock

trock Member

I voted no because it's not going to help advancing in the playoffs, but D'Antoni keeps the ball in the PG's hands, doesn't care about turnovers, doesn't care about defense. Harden's going to have monster numbers.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mike DAntoni has done nothing with the Knicks and Lakers

He will set the franchise back at least couple of years, if you think the rookie coach McHale signing was mediocre

He is such an unbalanced coach that even a defensive minded assistant cannot save

The organization with Les as commander is set out to get its behind kicked again

Thank you, Les for that!

16. Tdugs710

Tdugs710 Member

Can someone tell me a legitimate reason why this would be that big of a negative hire? From my perspective, the Rockets have no offensive or defensive system. If we hire a guy that specializes in one of these categories and provides us a functional system, are we not moving in a positive direction?It's not like our defense could get much worse, but our offense could be improved greatly. Outside of Harden (and sometimes Dmo), nobody on this team, as currently constructed, has any real offensive talent. If we are able to make our below average offensive players become positive contributers, doen't that sound like a good thing.

That all being said, I think the main thing the Rockets need to address this offseason is the roster. We need pieces that can actualize the vision in place by the hire ups.

Also, envision a Harden-Horford pick-and-pop.. that'd be something special.

17. Fantasma Negro

I think you guys are overreacting and missing the big picture. As long as we get a defensive assistant MDA makes this team better. Our offense was very predictable last season and MDA is the originator of the run and gun, you know the offense McFail tried to emulate. MDA is the best coach for this team

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm curious to see if D'Antoni will be a plus or a malus in recuiting players, maybe will help with Llull and Gentile, but with top free agents eh...not sure.

19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

He will detract. He has a reputation as an azzhole

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

James Harden Era is soon coming to an end.............