1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] D'Antoni emerges as front-runner for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 18, 2016.

?

Would you agree with the decision to hire Mike D'Antoni as head coach?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2016.
  1. YES

12.3%
  2. NO

87.7%
  1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Ricky Rubio
    Nash 2.0

1 person likes this.
  2. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

Just need a defensive coordinator

1 person likes this.
  3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

If we thought we were the laughing stock of the NBA last year, just wait...

1 person likes this.
  4. Asian Sensation

I posted before I saw this. Basically what I wanted to write but was too lazy. Great post and agree on all accounts.

1 person likes this.
  5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I don't think D'antoni is as bad a coach as people here seem to think. In fact, I'd think he would be a great fit for young teams, like the bucks or magic.

But for the Rockets, it just seems like a huge mistake. why? The rockets primary problem were defense and culture. They were a top 7 offense last year and one of the WORST defensive in the NBA. Dantoni might not be as bad defensively as his reputation suggests, but he is also definitely not good either.

Culturally the team had problem with accountability, effort and focus, and as JVG, Thibs and many other coaches have stated in the past, effort/defense/accountability all starts with the best players. If the stars of the team isn't buying in, isn't playing hard, isn't accountable, neither does the team in most cases.

Dantoni was great with Nash in PHX, but he was an unmitigated disaster in his dealings with Carmelo in NY, Kobe in LA, DHoward in LA & Gasol in LA. So how will he deal with Harden and the current lackluster culture of the Rockets?

Dantoni might improve the offense from good 7th-9th) to very good (5th-6th) (Warriors, Okc, Spurs, LAC, Cavs have top 4 or 5 spots locked barring any major player movement. But how much can we reasonably expect him to improve the defense and culture of the team?

6. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I blame Calvin Watkins

7. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I will forfeit 33 years of fandom if they hire D'Antoni. Won't buy a single ticket, hot dog, or beer in that arena until he's gone. This would be the worst decision the franchise has made since CD gave Kelvin Cato all that money.

Pathetic.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les doesn't get basketball. He thinks you can run a team this way or that by installing an offense. You can't. You have to BUILD the team around an offensive philosophy.

He would be a big mistake for this team. This team doesn't need D'Antonio - they need a guy who can manage egos and get the most out of his players. D'Antonio is not that guy.

And our offense isn't the problem - it's our freaking D!

1 person likes this.
  9. hakeemthagreat

Um, no. Nash could shoot

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

If they hire D'Antoni ...

I'll root for him. Because he's on my team. I'm interested to see who the defensive coordinator will be.

11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

This is making my day complete ****!!!

We don't even have the role players to shoot, run, do anything remotely close to what the Suns had back when they were the high octane offense. What in the **** is this ****!

12. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Next up, we use Howard's cap space to add Amare and Joe Johnson.

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Why can't we hire JVG and have D'Antoni be the offensive assistant coach?

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

100% agree.

And IF he puts aside his hubris and gets a legit defensive mind on his staff I think the results would be amazing. That has always been his problem and maybe, hopefully for us if we go this direction he's willing to hire a legit defensive assistant coach or two seeing as how he's been out of work.

Look. The man can coach, anyone that thinks he doesn't know basketball in turn doesn't know basketball. He was also an assistant coach for the 2012 gold medal team.

This isn't McHale 2.0, this guy knows his x and o's

He has his issues but...I can see where they would be going with this.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm done with the rockets if they hire Pringles.

16. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Dan Dantoni! :p:grin:

1 person likes this.
  17. Drogba

Drogba Member

Les & Morey are playing with fire. Only a matter of time before Harden takes his talents to LA.

18. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I don't want to judge this too soon especially since it's not finalized yet and I'll wait and see how things turn out. I mean, everyone bashed the Rockets for hiring a guy with some past failures (McHale) and he ended up (and I know he has his short comings) taking them to the West Finals.

BUT, if this is the direction they end up going, why not just stick with Chris Finch (who by all accounts is a very good offensive mind) and then still hire more defensive-minded assistants? I thought he was their golden boy as an up and coming coach any way.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Lin(poor mans Linsanity)
    Harden(joe johnson)
    Dudley(Qrich)
    Marvin(starvin mans marion)
    Capela(delusional rockets fans amare)

#14 pick from now until Harden leaves in 2018 and he is replaced with a poor mans Raja Bell.

20. Nook

Nook Member

What is most telling is the statement of Jason Terry recently when he said the offensive system did not fit the talents on the team.

So what does Les want to do? Hire a coach that runs a system (albeit a great one) on offense that requires players with skill sets vastly different than what the Rockets have.

Also cannot play off the ball, Jason Terry said it recently and it is something that even Durant has commented on in the past.

This will be interesting. I am not going to completely discount the possibility that it works very well for a few seasons. If the Rockets (by Rockets I mean the only one that really matters; Harden) buy into the offense and give effort on defense, they can surprise people.

Having said that, it is like hiring Norv Turner as your head coach.

1 person likes this.