1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] D'Antoni emerges as front-runner for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 18, 2016.

?

Would you agree with the decision to hire Mike D'Antoni as head coach?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2016.
  1. YES

12.3%
  2. NO

87.7%
  1. rockets13champs

WE NEED TO HAVE A ANTI DANTONI RALLY ASAP

2. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

WTF, Rockets?! I mean at least do an interview, such bull****. I guess Les doesn't want to have the dumpster fire out just yet. JVG for sure is better than D'Antoni.

I wouldn't be surprised if the only coach actually interviewed was MDA.... Like Smith and others showed up and Morey told them "look you're really great, but unfortunately Les said he won't take the time to see you, he's too busy with his winery and already decided on MDA... But thanks for your time!!! Also if you happen to be hiring at a future franchise you'll be hired at, please put in a good word! I'm definitely interested"

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Getting out of the first round is a 7 game sample size highly dependent on who your opponent is.

Over 82 games, the supposed vastly more offensive capable Adelman won 3 more games than JVG, with a 17th ranked offense vs JVG's 15th. Despite having better players like Scola and Landry, compared to Juwan Howard starting for JVG.

I agree that D'Antoni might be getting overly bashed here. I can accept the argument that they may be comparable in coaching ability, even if I personally do not agree. However like some have already said, what this current team needs, or the star player that the team is all in on needs, is structure and discipline. JVG fits that mold more, by a ton.

On a personal note, for over 15 years I have followed the Rockets closely. I am not from Houston, but got interested initially from Yao, and then Morey and his analytical approach. After 10 games this season, for the first time I stopped watching, and just checked their boxscore from time to time. If the team cannot muster the effort to act like they care about winning, after already wasting $200 on league pass, I am not about to waste my time as well. JVG would get me interested again. Not because I am a fan of his broadcasting abilities, but because through his broadcasts I've become a fan of JVG the person. Perhaps D'Antoni can do as good of a job coaching, but I'd rather it be JVG so that I can start rooting for the Rockets again.

EDIT: just saw the Woj tweet. Welp, back into my hole.. :(

5. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Harden had to have bought off on this. If harden was going to choose Between Jeff or Mike, he would of course choose mike, but he would have to play PG.

Also, could this mean a lin re-union??

this also signals that D12 is gone because he doesnt fit the system... Could we see Amare state come over to help implement the system. And our number 1 target is probably Harford now and not Durant.

Another thought - we need a really good Defensive coordinator.

6. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Maybe Pringles realized you actually need solid D to play championship basketball? If not we are set for full tank mode. No way in hell MDA can turn these mediocre 3pt shooters into legit riflemen. Hope he proves us wrong if he is selected.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I can't wait to see the Dantoni "approval/disapproval" poll once he is hired.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Terrible. Freaking terrible.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I get it about JVG. I was hear when JVG was coach of the score 80PPG Rockets. He's largely known as his TV persona now, and not his actual resume.

What I was referring to was the fact that they are doubling down on their style of play and culture that is universally reviled in the basketball & fan community. The popular vote matters in the NBA as its a very shallow fickle sport where there are "the cool kids" and there are the punching bag franchises that everyone loves to pick on and point at.

I wish it didn't matter, but it does especially when you have a team that has only one major method of re-tooling on the fly... that being free agency (at least while Harden is a Rocket).

So while JVG wouldn't have guaranteed anything, he would have been a symbol for change, and would have completely shifted the "popular vote" that changes the Rockets hopes in the short term for gaining traction in free agency this Summer & creates renewed energy, media, and fan applaud.

Not condoning or applauding anything myself... just stating the facts.

(my personal opinion is that they NEEDED to show a shift in change this Summer, but that didn't necessarily have to be JVG. My opinion is that they do need a culture change internally & externally. A rebranding of sorts. Smart intelligent and relentlessly hard working basketball brand... D'Antoni is the exact opposite of what I think they needed from that perspective, and shows complete disregard for learning from & admitting your mistakes)

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The only thing I worry about with D'Antoni is that he has repeatedly been called out by players for lack of discipline/structure to the team.

12. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Why not start one now?

You can go ahead and mark me down for "disapprove"

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, you do. D'Antoni doesn't get ANYONE to engage defensively, much less on a consistent basis. He isn't much concerned with defense, at all.

14. justtxyank

Also, D'Antoni is not "doubling down" on what the Rockets did last year. DAntoni runs a system. It may be designed to get foul shots, 3s and layups, but it is an actual system with designed plays. Fans like to trash him, but most coaches and basketball analysts will tell you that he is almost solely responsible for changing the NBA. The Spurs of all teams used his offense as a template for change.

15. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

If this happens, I'm done with this team. Done. Les can suck it.

16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

KILL ME NOW!!!!!

17. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

That's the ONLY thing you worry about? So, not concerned about lack of defense??

But, the thing you point out should pretty much exclude him from coaching this team, should it not?

18. justtxyank

I'm as concerned about his historic issue with defense as I am concerned with JVG's historic issue with offense.

In either hire I'd have to cross my fingers that they bring a long an assistant that they trust to run that side of the ball.

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Harden
    Fournier
    Beasley
    R. Anderson
    Dmo

Starting lineup with D'Antoni. :cool:

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

So Harden approves I guess because under dantoni you don't need to play any defense..