1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Chuck Hayes Injures Ankle In Practice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Dec 30, 2010.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Brad Miller better watch out

2. srrono

srrono Member

here are my sugestions
    chuck play in this style wheel chair
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VouLjuZhe_0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VouLjuZhe_0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

or this
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CYF9elbq2yg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CYF9elbq2yg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

all future centers standard suit
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9-tWmodV11A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9-tWmodV11A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

or

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qEknoNtHSMs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qEknoNtHSMs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

3. Entropy

Entropy Member

Daryl Morey needs to invest in "alternative" preventative measures. Think outside of the box DM!

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Are you aware that the 2010-11 season started?

5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Damnit, this also comes against one of the hardest stretches of opponents the Rockets will face this season. Hope he can return soon. Maybe Hill will finally show his true potential now that he's going to get big minutes and maybe start.

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

yep, his offense is terrible, with occasionally bursts of being acceptable, still love his blown lay-ups especially on a sweet pass from Brooks yesterday and he was the complete glove on defense yesterday

7. TxTchRT41

TxTchRT41 Member

For all you guys talking about Phoenix's training staff, I couldn't agree with you more - we need a staff similar to this. I know from experience the wonders NASM's training methods can do as I am certified through them. I honestly believe that once the front office decides to hire individuals with this background, these injuries will stop. Until then, we're stuck with a training staff that has done almost nothing to prevent injury, after injury, after injury.

8. monster

monster Member

Chuck is a rock....sorry to hear this. Hopefully this is the opportunity JHill needs to take it to the next level.

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You should watch the Rockets more consistently. You'd be surprised. Saying that we play 4on5 with Chuck shows that you haven't seen much of this season. Hayes has GREATLY improved into a decent option on offense. It's no where near 4on5 like the old days.

10. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I really hope Pat Pat gets his chance now. But I think Aldmean is going to use Scola and Miller more, perhaps even Hill. I also have a feeling JJ will see time before Pat Pat.

I dont like the way Aldeman is handling our youngs. He relys way too much on Bud when he could have given more minutes to Lee, JT (when we had him), and now T-Will. And Pat Pat has been stuck too.

11. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Time to take off the warm-ups, JJ.

12. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

He has improved his FT shooting. He has used this to an advantage where he draws a few fouls in every game now. He still misses layups and putbacks around the rim. He doent really have any other "option" on offence besides drawing that foul. He needs to add a mid range jump shot or hook and work on those easy layups and putbacks under the rim.

So to call him "decent option" is an exaggeration.

13. gah

gah Member

Why you so serious?

Ok I give up; I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, now it’s beyond a reasonable one that you’re a damn fool.

No point in arguing with a guy who takes Chuck the Modesto Monster for granted, hey if an undersized guy, listed at 6’6, who has no jumping ability can excel at defending 4s and 5s then a guy who is, and let me quote you, “taller [not, listed at 6’6], bigger [Not], has more reach and more hops and is probably a better shot blocker” automatically is a great option to replace him, that’s a great fallacy you got going there, congratulations.

Have you even stopped to find out what positions he has played during his whole career? Did you notice the problems the Nets had last year at the PG and PF positions? Did you notice at what position Williams was called upon to fill in? Guess how many minutes of experience he has at the PF position?

I will bold it and use caps this time for your reading comprehension:

“LET ME REPHRASE WHAT I SAID, NOT ONLY IS TERRENCE WILLIAMS CLOSER TO SG, HE IS CLOSER TO PLAYING THE POINT GUARD POSITION THAN HE IS TO BEING ABLE TO PLAY POWER FORWARD.”
    [Insert annoyingly gigantic picture of Jared Jeffries here or the elephant in your living room]

I'll bet you five to one that JJ plays at the 4 or 5 position before T-Will sees one tiny fraction of time at the Power Foward. What da ya say?

14. srrono

srrono Member

Rockets F Hayes hurts ankle in practice

HOUSTON (AP)—Houston Rockets forward Chuck Hayes(notes) will miss 2-4 weeks after spraining his right ankle in practice Thursday.

The 6-foot-6 Hayes had an MRI and an X-ray that showed a “moderate to severe” sprain, the team said.

Hayes has started 20 games in place of center Yao Ming(notes), out for the season with a stress fracture in his left ankle. The Rockets’ best interior defender, Hayes is averaging six points, 5.9 rebounds and 21.5 minutes.

Hayes had 13 points and eight rebounds in the Rockets’ 125-119 loss to Miami on Wednesday night.

Brad Miller(notes) or Jordan Hill(notes) will move into the starting lineup in Hayes’ place.

link
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AswA65ReL4.l2eFG.JHe2ei8vLYF?slug=ap-rockets-hayes

15. srrono

srrono Member

Rockets center Hayes will miss two to four weeks
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets have lost another center to another ankle injury.

Chuck Hayes, who has stepped in to the starting lineup with Yao Ming out, injured his right ankle in the closing minutes of Thursday’s practice. Hayes landed on the foot of guard Ish Smith on a drive and immediately went down.

Hayes was diagnosed with a moderate to severe right ankle sprain and will be out for two to four weeks before he would resume on-court workouts.

Because the injury occurred at the end of practice, Rockets coach Rick Adelman said he had not considered options to replace Hayes or begun making changes in the rotation. He could move second-year forward Jordan Hill or veteran center Brad Miller into the starting lineup. The injury could bring playing time to rookie Patrick Patterson.

“Obviously, he’s a huge part of the team, a huge part of why we have played better, especially recently,” Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. “A very hard guy to replace, but we feel Jordan and Patrick and some of the other guys need to step up and have the ability to.”

Injuries had led to the Rockets trying six lineups in the first 12 games of the season, but they had the same lineup with few rotations changes in the 19 games since, going 12-7 since settling on a lineup.

“You just hope it’s not bad,” Miller said. “He’s been playing well and he’s been a big part of that. That’s the joy of the NBA. It’s going to happen. I’d like to see how many times the same lineup has gone all 82 games. It’s probably never happened, I would imagine. If he’s not able to go, we have to step up and figure it out.”

By starting Hayes, the Rockets have been able to emphasize Luis Scola in the low post with Hayes running the high-post parts of the Rockets’ motion based offense. They also were then able to keep Miller and Hill together, with Miller at the high post and Hill inside.

If Miller starts, they could have him serve as the big man passing on the perimeter with Scola staying inside, but would further limit their already struggling defense. If Hill starts, he can offer help in some matchups defensively, but he and Scola both are best with touches inside.

Patterson has played just 15 minutes, but did excel in his stint in the NBA Development League and would allow the rest of the rotation to remain unchanged.

“He’s our best defender inside,” Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. “It’s going to effect our whole rotation.”

Though Hayes has improved offensively, averaging a career-best six points on 54.2 percent shooting and 76.3 shooting from the line, losing Hayes also radically changes the Rockets defense because the Rockets use him differently than any other frontcourt player.

One-on-one, Hayes rarely gets any defensive help, even against the top offensive players. Against some teams, including Miami on Wednesday, the Rockets have Hayes trapping or even switching on pick-and-roll, tactics they rarely try with Miller or Hill.

“You put him on a guy, you don’t worry about it,” Adelman said. “That’s going to be a real difference for us.”

Hill will likely have to pick up much of the defensive and rebounding slack, especially against the Raptors tonight, who are among the league’s top offensive rebounding teams. With Toronto leading scorer Andrea Bargnani out, former Rockets center Joey Dorsey is starting, replacing an outstanding perimeter shooter with a strong presence on the offensive glass.

“I just have to go out there and defend my best,” Hill said. “There’s a lot of bigs I’ll be guarding that can maneuver. I just have to play hard and try to defend. Chuck is a strong dude and he can definitely move his feet and he knows his opponent. He goes after him, stays down on pump fakes and defends really well.”

The immediate reaction, however, focused on the frustration of taking on the injury with Adelman about to end the practice “on the last possession.”

“I just heard a lot of screaming,” Hill said. “I saw him on the ground. To a guy like Chuck, it’s very disappointing. He’s a very hard worker. He’s one of our best bigs that can defend. He has a lot of heart. We need somebody like that on the floor at all times. To see him go down like that, we’re missing something.”

They already were, but while missing their 7-6 center, the Rockets must replace their 6-6 center, too.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7360019.html

16. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Oh god we lost him just as we're about to start a very important stretch. ugh!

17. srrono

srrono Member

if 2 weeks from today that will cover these 8 games
    Dec. 31 vs. Toronto Raptors
    Jan. 2 at Portland Trail Blazers
    Jan. 3 at Denver Nuggets
    Jan. 5 vs. Portland Trail Blazers
    Jan. 7 at Orlando Magic
    Jan. 8 vs. Utah Jazz
    Jan. 10 at Boston Celtics
    Jan. 12 vs. Oklahoma City Thunder
    if a full month these 10 as well
    Jan. 14 vs. New Orleans Hornets
    Jan. 15 at Atlanta Hawks
    Jan. 17 vs. Milwaukee Bucks
    Jan. 19 vs. New York Knicks
    Jan. 21 at Memphis Grizzlies
    Jan. 22 vs. Orlando Magic
    Jan. 24 at Minnesota Timberwolves
    Jan. 26 vs. Los Angeles Clippers
    Jan. 27 at Dallas Mavericks
    Jan. 29 at San Antonio Spurs

18. AXG

AXG Member

I hope he gets better soon, but Chuck's a warrior. Last I recall he got seriously injured, he was expected to miss a few weeks. Instead he came back after 2-3 games. I think in was back in '07 though. :(

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

No, it really wouldn't. He may miss some still, but he also converts a lot. He's added moves to offensive arsenal -- I've seen him spin with a jump hook and use a step back jumper on opponents. I've seen him steal the Boozer move; as soon as the ball is thrown into the high post, he immediately turns and drives to the rim, catching the defender off-guard.

The biggest difference is that he actually looks to score the ball now. He's going 1on1 at his man, finishing reverse layups, utilizes some post up moves. In the past, he wouldn't even think about scoring and seemed scared of blowing layups. Teams would continually forget about him and McGrady would find him for 2 foot uncontested layups. He's improved GREATLY in this regard (kudos to Adelman). Simply put: if you still think we're playing 4on5 on offense with Chuck Hayes, you're not watching the games closely enough.

I don't mean to say he's a #1 or #3 option -- but he's not a liability offensively like he was in years past. This is even moreso when you factor in him being a 70% free throw shooter.

1 person likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. I've never understood the criticism Chuck gets sometimes on the board. He's simply amazing, considering his limitations, and not only stepped up his FT shooting and offensive output this season, but has taken to Adelman's high post offense like a duck to water. Why? because he's one of the smartest cats on the team, that's why. A huge loss. Hayes can't come back soon enough.