1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Feigen) - Canaan and Rockets have mutual interest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, Jul 11, 2016.

1. basketballholic

I said he'd be real good over there. And he was until they shut him down. They wanted to lose games, not let Canaan go off and knock their draft pick down to the low lottery.

Canaan can play. He's a 6 foot version of Harden. Very explosive and fearless finishing, looks for contact to get to the ft line. Likes to operate in iso instead of off the pick. Put him on the floor with shooters and he's a devastating offensive player. If we sign him to a guaranteed deal I'd expect he'll get rotation minutes here and MDA will exploit his ability to create his own shot combined with finishing, getting to the FT line, and playing off the ball effectively.

One final note. He's a better basketball player than McDaniels and always will be.

#21 basketballholic, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Canaan, not a bad backup point guard at all. He will push Bev in Dans system.

#22 RudyTBag, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why ?

4. mightybosstone

I'm sorry, but you're talking about a guy who shot 36 percent from the floor. For someone who doesn't play defense, defend, rebound or force turnovers, that's pretty far removed from "real good." I don't know how anyone could suggest that he's a decent professional basketball player.

I guess on a minimum deal, I wouldn't hate this move. But there's four or five guys left in free agency I'd rather have who could be had for that. Hell, I'd rather they re-sign Terry and give him those minutes over Canaan.

5. Mr. Clutch

Wow. He showed zero ability to create

6. basketballholic

This is why you have to watch the games and understand what is behind the numbers, what team a guy is on, what they are doing, what they are trying to do.

At one point Philly signed Jakarr Sampson, a nobody basically off the street in a small forwards body, and they immediately injected him into the lineup as the point guard. That should be enough explanation of what they were doing over there and what kind of shots Canaan was flinging up. 36% means nothing in those circumstances.

7. basketballholic

They didn't want him to create. They wanted to lose games. If they had wanted him to create they would have iso'd him up and spread it out for him.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

If he was any kind of version of Harden, Sixers would have kept him. He is what he is, a volume scorer who lacks court vision, inability to defend NBA point guards and inconsistent finisher. He's only good in limited minutes due to his short comings.

9. mightybosstone

But he wasn't substantially better in Houston. He peaked with that 25-game stretch in Houston in 2014-15 before he got dealt, and even that version of Canaan was a shade under mediocre. I just don't get it, man. He's a vastly undersized SG in a PG's body who doesn't create, doesn't score efficiently and doesn't do anything else particularly well who has had zero success at the NBA level.

If he had shown any capability of being a quality rotational player in this league, then I could at least buy him as a possible option and get on board with this. But he hasn't. I'd gladly take any of the washed up veteran point guards left in free agency over him at this point.

10. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

They played Canaan because they wanted to lose games.

11. Asian Sensation

Wrong Isaiah.

12. malakas

malakas Member

lmao so now the Sixers were holding Cannaan back on purpose? The short version of Harden? :rolleyes:

No defence chucker. We have been collecting as many as we can lately so I'm not surprised.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Yes..... and the Sixers also wanted to collect good young players. If the Sixers felt he was a good young player, he would still be there.

Also your theory doesn't completely hold water, because the Sixers had no problem playing 60 minutes a night between Okafor and Noel.

Further Canaan is a CAREER 36% shooter. Did the Rockets also want to lose when he was on the team? Does the 38% he shot from the floor mean nothing as well under the circumstances?

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fixed it for you.

15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

So you are jopat?

16. Mr. Clutch

There it is

17. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Maybe if the trade involved one of their centers ...

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Meh, Canaan isn't any good at basketball but he's still better than the Rubio fantasy

19. basketballholic

You have to remember how we're going to play under MDA. We're going to be playing faster than everybody. We're going to be bringing it up and flinging the first 3 look we get. For that to work we've got to have big time shooters all over the place. Canaan is a shooter. He can launch just as easily off the dribble or the catch. He has a quick release and he's got deep range. On top of that he can take it to the hole off the overplay and finish/draw the foul. All his offensive strengths are right center in MDA's meathouse. He'll be Eddie House under MDA.

20. ksny15

ksny15 Member

He would be a solid pick up for the min. He can play.