1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen Blog] Mutombo, JL3 Updates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OrangeRowdy95, Sep 17, 2007.

1. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2007/09/the_long_and_short_of_the_rock.html

2. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

First, thanks OrangeRowdy95. 2nd, how can we not getting a contract in return of trading JLIII away? We can just get draft picks or trade exceptions back? Isn't this too convenient for team to offload their salary burden?

3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

hope we can package Alston with JLIII..

4. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

If the trade partner is under the salary cap, then yes it's possible. But at this point I think getting a 2nd pick for Lucas is very unlikely. Other teams are fully aware of our backcourt jam. They can just wait for us to release Lucas (which we will one way or another) and pick him up as a FA.

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

On the other hand, we can play the wait game too. We can still release him after the training camp if we have to.

If Morey can get a 2nd rounder for Lucas, then he truely is a genius. For now I'm still neutral on him. I think luck has played a big part in our successul offeason so far.

6. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

kind of like the real estate market now

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

what's wrong with bringing 20 guys to camp and letting a few people battle for a spot?

it's nice to do the right thing for lucas, trade him to a place that needs him or just cut him now, but everyone else should be there.

8. liangqj

liangqj Member

Cutting him,is not appropriate.It is not the time we do this for he still can play.Why not cut Sura?

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Cutting is always the worst case scenario. It's litterally throwing $ out the window.

Sura will get cut but that only gets us down to 18. We need to get down to 15 or 16 players so even after JL3, we still gotta cut even MORE.

The mega deal for us would be to package Rafer, Sura and JL3 together to pickup one player ...preferably a PF. Then we only gotta cut one additional player to get down to 16. But I'm not getting my hopes up for that scenario.

Likely scenario is we trade JL3 for peanuts and cut then Sura and Mike Harris. But Morey is holding out that we can get some sort of asset in return for any of our 'extra' players rather than giving them away for nothing in return.

10. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

JUST DREAM
    he will stay here

11. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

JL3 is nice guy,but has no space on this team...
    I wish him luck because he's really good guy...
    btw is there any sign of bobby sura??
    will he play next season???

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets will not cut Sura until the last minute before the regular season. Sura's contract is still a very valuable asset; and the team is not going to throw it away unless it is absolutely clear that they cannot use it to their advantage. With all the fantastic additions this offseason at minimal cost, the Rockets were unexpectedly left with an improved roster AND Sura's contract still "in the chamber". Now that the team is over the luxury tax, it is unlikely that Sura's contract will be used in a package for a higher salaried player. Still, YOU NEVER KNOW. He will most likely be cut, but cutting him before the last possible minute is just throwing away an asset.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The most likely scenario is we trade with someone over the cap, we give them JLIII, who has 2 years left on his contract, and they give us a scrub who has one year left. We cut the scrub and eat one-year's worth of guaranteed salary instead of two.

14. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

I saw JL3 last night around 8:30 at the Apple store in the Galleria. I was with my girlfriend buying an iphone. I asked him about his status with the Rockets and he said he would still be here next year. Thats all i asked him although i wish i had talked to him more or got a picture with him but i didnt wanna seem like a pest :( . He's a cool guy though. Really friendly and down to earth. I wish him the best.

15. liangqj

liangqj Member

OH,He will be here next year?
    If it is true,all of the thing we talked is unvalued.
    I think Morey can not receive the best price by JL3.

16. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

i asked him the same thing at mcgrady's softball tournament and he said the rockets told him they are going in a different direction.

17. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

I'm gonna miss Lucas :(

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

his ending contract will probably have more value that the 15th guy to make the team. over the LT or not his contract may help the team move rafer (for a player with a larger, but shorter contract), or bonzi (for a player of equal talent who will most likely be paid more.)

19. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

looking for a dog house? :D

20. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

Yeah he seemed to hessitate when I asked him that. Our convo didnt last but a minute. But he did say he was going to be back this season.