1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen blog] Jeff should get a refund from David Stern

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vcchlw, Oct 6, 2008.

1. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Didn't see it posted anywhere. I think Jeff deserves an APOLOGY from Stern. :mad:

But I wonder if JVG would be fired if TMac and Yao advanced to the second round. If not, we probably could not have got Ron Artest as Adelman was the major reason Artest coming to Houston.

2. FFz

FFz Member

god bless JVG. He stood up for Yao when lesser coaches woulda kept their mouths shut.

I dont even understand what the big deal was. He was just speaking to local media, nto like it was CNN or ESPN or anything.

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

great read, especially at this hour. glad i checked before sleep.

4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

ha. We all knew he was right despite the national sports writers indicating that JVG went off the deep end.

I loved having JVG around. I wish it would have worked out with him ...but at the same time, glad they moved on.

5. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

So does T-Mac get an asterisk next to the line "never got out the first round"

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

My favorite line is the one on Brooks. Does he really have potential to be a spark off the bench along the lines of what Adelman has had in the past? I remain skeptical, but this commentary makes me less so. We'll find out soon enough.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Great ! ;)

8. kwng

kwng Member

JVG should get an apology and a huge compensation from Stern.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Never going to happen. Not in a million years.

10. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

That round wasn't fixed. Just... JVG wasn't making **** up when he said what he said. And if you read the Pedowitz(sp?) report, the guy goes on to point out that there is no significant increase in screen calls on Yao. But Stern did **** up. 100K for some **** he didn't do. Thats gotta be like a weeks pay for JVG. I'd ask for my money back if I were him.

11. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

I'd LOVE to have JVG as an assistant coach but I'm sure he's looking for a head coach position right now.

12. amak

amak Member

I totally wish the same too!

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i'll take anyone willing to take a hundred grand hit to stand up for his players and take a stand against Stern and the Association...

JVG turned this team into a defensive juggernaut, for years to come.

thank you Jeff Van Gundy for instilling a defense first mindset into the Houston Rockets philosophy.

14. redao

redao Member

JVG might got his money back long time ago. I don't think JVG has said anything after that accident.

15. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

He is not looking for any position. if he was looking for something, he would have been snaped up so fast its not not funny. he is a quality coach .

16. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I think he's the type of coach that is great for struggling, up and coming teams. He could take any team and make them a top 10 defense, probably take an average team and make them a top 5 defense. Seriously, back before the McGrady trade, who on our team could play defense? Even before the Battier trade, Ryan Bowen was probably our best defender back then, which is really sad. He'll also keep the team in line without being a dictator, which is perfect for young teams.

He'd be a good coach for like the Hawks or something.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

JVG was a good coach and I like having him around. Now, don't get me wrong, Adleman is better overall, but having JVG's juggernaut defense with the ever increasing offensive power and the huge talent we currently have is amazing.

All I gotta say is JVG could have done better *only* with better players. He took what he had and made the best of it.

I miss that little unhappy face sometimes.

18. mich

mich Member

JVG was a hero, comparing to other NBA coaches.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It seems like JVG did good on this case. I don't miss him as a coach. He has always been a good commentator.

JVG did no better than Adelman and it is more pleasant without him. You know JVG would be having some big time fights with someone on the team.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Nice blog.

As for JVG, I have a love/hate relationship with him. I absolutely HATE his coaching style, which I find boring beyond belief. But I love his personality and his attitude.

And I truly believe that he's a championship caliber coach. He just needs a lot of offensive talent to make up for his coaching weakness, which is offense. And the Rockets never had much offensive talent during his career here.

Now that I think about it, had Morey been here a few years early, JVG could very well still be the coach.