1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigan: L.James trying to steal Ariza, Morey working on having the MLE & eat it, too

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Egghead

Egghead Member

Do yall think we can get Marvin Williams for the MLE? , if we get the MLE back

2. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I wonder if this would interest Morey.

3. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I think if we add Ariza, and somehow keep Shane, Marvin just adds to the list of wings, which they probably dont want at that price to a back-up. Not sure though. Anything is possible.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Ariza changes his mind, targets =

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

that would be Sweet, to able to sign the former 2nd pick Overall :D :D
    [​IMG]
    he has superstar potential, he was the 2nd pick after all :D :D

6. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

looks like LBJ does a mean negotiation. ariza is gonna start on a cleveland team, playing with LBJ and shaq, they only need a PF with a 3pt shot (they shouldve gone after villanueva) equals eastern conference champs. if they give him more money, i can understand if ariza opts to go there. i wont blame the guy if he does.

if i were the lakers, i wont do a SnT with houston and hope that ariza signs with cleveland. they take us out of contention for the next few years.

this sucks if this happens. yao getting season ending surgery, losing artest, ariza doing a 180, and not getting gortat. what a sucky offseason so far.

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think Morey needs to get on the phone with Ariza and say, "look, regardless of what Lebron tells you - there is a good chance he is gone by next season and leaves you as the guy with the longest contract on a team of has beens that is built to compete long enough to get Lebron to resign(in other words - one year)." Ariza could conceivably be playing for the worst team in basketball by 2010 if he signed with Cleveland...no exposure, probably a new coach, probably a bunch of rookies getting solid playing time. He would waste the best years of his career while another team rebuilds - and when his contract would be back up for renewel, he probably wouldn't make out as well. Lebron is NOT consider Ariza when every team in the NBA starts throwing money at him.

In the unlikely event Lebron stays, he is still on a team that is good enough to compete, but isn't a lock to win the East every year(that Cleveland roster is band aid on top of a band aid on top of a...). If he plays in Houston, he will probably be playing for a playoff team for most of the next 5 years although the future is somewhat murkier for what that roster will be but Houston is built with a bunch of role players that just need to insert a star to succeed and with Tmac's contract expiring that is an inevitability paired with Houston's good coaching and clever GM. Cleveland on the other hand has the star but few good role players, poor coaching, and a GM who has made some trades for big names, but hasn't made his roster wholly better at all with all those moves.

Ariza should be flattered, but his long term career is much safer in Houston.

8. Asian Sensation

“I’m a champion, And I’m a Houston Rocket.” - Trevor Ariza

All a man has is his word. Lets see if he keeps his word.

9. Carl Herrera

http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this...but I would gladly take AI for 1 year of the MLE. We need some scoring and we don't really have a SG.

11. 2rings

2rings Member

How about using the MLE for a run at Shawn Marion? He won't get more than that with the Mavs.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

If AI came cheap enough OR we weren't committed to him long term, I think Morey would consider it. It really depends on what the Bobcats offer him though. They are in need of both a marquee name and scoring there - two things Houston could use this year, but probably won't need heading into 2010. The other potential problem for acquiring Iverson is I bet some playoff team has part of an MLE to spend that would consider AI as a bench scorer to put them over the top.

Even an aging AI is at least as effective if not more effective than Von Wafer....but knowing Morey, he saw Von's value as the fact that he making so little and he will bring in some other no name player who can shoot to replace him(maybe one of our 2nd rounders).

13. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

LBJ can bugger off and stay ring less forever

14. TheMacster

TheMacster Member

Why would LO sign for the MLE to a non-contender (at the moment)
    when he can have at least 7.5 mil on a contender team in L.A.

:confused:

15. Carl Herrera

The Cavs are going all out trying to steal Ariza!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4310284

16. Egghead

Egghead Member

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Is he unrestricted? I would take a flyer on him.
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kNtwNpbPOCU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kNtwNpbPOCU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DD

18. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

that is too close for comfort. ariza having second thoughts about going to cleveland. in the end though i think he's going to keep his word.

19. Egghead

Egghead Member

He's restricted, but I'm not sure if Atlanta would match the full MLE, if Marvin was offered that. They just resigned Bibby and are still trying to resign Zaza, so I don't know how much money they would offer Marvin..

20. houston19519

houston19519 Member