1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feb 2016 Trade Deadline) If Bosh were available AND healthy, would you trade for him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jul 22, 2015.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

It all depends how much we have to give up for him. Depth is key and important. Last year we saw how important it was with Beverly out and still having Terry and Prigioni to cover. The same goes with having Josh Smith and Tjones when Dmo hurt his back.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Bosh surprised me with his rejuvenated play after signing that massive contract until he became ill. His contract is huge, 23.7 M. How can the Rockets get him without including Ariza and Brewer plus our young ones?

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I agree that Miami would look for picks and/or young promising players. I guess I included Jones and Dekker as your "young promising players". But back to the "package"....what if it were DMo going to Miami instead of Jones? I know I'm cheating by changing the original scenario but I'd think that would at least have Riley thinking.

1. Dump Bosh and his 4 years /~$100 million salary
    2. Acquire a decent young guy or two
    3. Obtain smaller salaries that can be traded easily later if needed

Wade just signed a 1 year deal and I really don't see him being an integral part of the team past 2015/2016 unless he all of a sudden gets rejuvenated into Flash Wade. That plus the jump in cap room over the next couple of years, those Brewer/Bev contracts would look very appealing either to keep or to move.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Brewer 8.2
    Bev 6.4
    Jones 2.5
    Dekker 1.6

That's 18.7 million which gets us damn close (or even enough) to Bosh's cap number.

5. saleem

Thanks bud.

6. thekad

thekad Member

There's not really a scenario where Miami trades Bosh. He doesn't care enough about winning to make a stink and the Heat are tied to other veterans making big money, so they're stuck on the treadmill no matter what they do. They just gave 29 year old Dragic a near-max contract.

7. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Well if you replace T Jones with D Mo and Ariza for Brewer then absolutely not.

8. thekad

thekad Member

A Horford trade is a more compelling scenario. He makes only $12 million so a trade would only require Brewer/TJones and while he doesn't have the range of Bosh, I suspect he'll be a good corner 3 shooter from here on out.

Root for Atlanta to implode.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Pass.

As others have mentioned: He's too expensive. You would have to gut the entire team, plus Miami is unlikely to move him in such a manner with a small window in a weak conference.

But more importantly....

Is Bosh really THAT much better than an improved D-Mo?

Think about it. The rebounding numbers are essentially a wash and D-Mo's advanced stats are, surprisingly, much stronger (and in some cases - better) than you would think. At least, in comparison to Bosh's numbers. Whether it's any category pertaining to win shares or VORP, D-Mo either edges him out or is competitive. For this past season, that is. Granted, Bosh was sick/hurt but still...

So, if D-Mo continues to develop and averages, say, 15-7 next year; can you really justify the $20M price tag difference between the two players? Even if D-Mo "only" becomes 7-or-8/10's of the player Bosh is, that's probably good enough to help us win a title. Is the gap really THAT significant? Significant enough to justify the $20M price differential and severely weakened supporting cast it would take to acquire him? You tell me.

For right now, at least for me, it's a hell no. I could be convinced in February if D-Mo doesn't get any better and our lack of consistency from the PF spot is still killing us. At that point, maybe.

10. saleem

I wouldn't give up Ariza at all. D-Mo instead of Jones, maybe. If D-Mo gets healthy and plays really well, then I wouldn't include him in a trade for Bosh.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I would definitely trade
    Brewer
    Jones or DMo
    Dekker
    Beverley

for Bosh

BUT
    a) Can't see why Miami would lock themselves into role players though?
    b) Do we want to lock ourselves in to Bosh as a max player for 4 more years?

Also, if we are all fit and healthy, why the heck are we only 4th or 5th in the West?

12. saleem

I would like that. His mid range game is strong and he can execute the pick and roll nicely, along with good rebounding and defense. A 12M expiring contract sounds way better than 23-26 M in Bosh's case.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

There is only ONE BALL

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My thinking is that if he's even close to being on the market for Miami considering what they are trying to accomplish, and Pat Riley likes the Rockets package its because of one of two things-

A. There is something very much wrong with Bosh or he's seriously declined

or

B. D-Mo/Jones or whomever has turned heads, and a better value option for what Bosh brings.

So either way, I just don't see where a Bosh trade would make sense for both teams that benefits the Rockets. With Gogi, Wade, Deng, Whiteside, and Bosh, they are still going all in for another year at least. If Bosh is still Bosh, then I don't see them putting him on the market all things considered.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We would have zero defense at guard. But yeah, I probably would.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If they send back Napier or Chalmers, yes. I'd do that. Point depth is too important.

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

If you could do this, and everyone's healthy, the Rockets would be title favorites, so of course.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'd think very hard on it, but probably not.

Before the Lawson deal, maybe. And if Lawson struggles for whatever reason, maybe.

I think they'd demand D-Mo over Jones as well, especially since we don't have much in the way of picks to sweeten the deal.

19. jayfree

jayfree Member

No. I don't want a player that already had the chance to sign here for a chance to win a championship and didn't. I'd be surprised if Bosh even measures up to his contract now and stays in the lineup without injury. This has Pippen written all over it for Houston (remember how that ended? We got Cato)

20. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Absolutely. I would hate to lose Bev, but everyone else is a luxury. I don't understand how any Rockets fan says no to that. Of course, the Heat would never even contemplate taking that because trading Bosh would signal a rebuild.

Losing Bev and counting on Terry as the backup PG would be frustrating, but maybe we would get lucky and a solid PG would get bought out and we could sign them for the stretch run.