1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fearing We’ll Get Stuck With Sarr

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jun 23, 2024.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I wonder how many people even know that. I actually love it because I don't see him as a starter on the Rockets either and assume that he'll already be comfortable with the role. I LOVE the idea of having that shooting off the bench.

raining threes, topfive and Dobbizzle like this.
  2. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Josh Giddey Averaged 11-7-7 his last year in the NBL, for reference.

Castian Crew and OremLK like this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Thankfully Sarr isnt getting past the Wizards.

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I know why Sheppard didn’t start (politics with the former HC promising players things) but he’s stating that Sarr didn’t start, it could be a similar situation.

raining threes likes this.
  5. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

You aren't drafting for the player he is now. You are drafting for potential. I see him like Evan Mobley lite with 2 inches taller.

vince, JusBleezy and Downtown Sniper like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vecenie: In a normal draft, I would have my top player, Sarr, right in the Nos. 6-10 range. I don’t see him as a typical top-five pick because I worry a bit too much about what his offensive fit will be. Last year, I think I would have had him No. 7. In 2022, I would have him ranked sixth. In 2021, I think I would have ranked him ninth behind Alperen Şengün, who was one of the most productive players in Europe during his pre-draft season.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5581497/2024/06/24/nba-draft-2024-talent-prospects/

topfive, Aruba77, jch1911 and 2 others like this.
  7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Thank **** you're not the GM...

8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I think anybody rational feels the same way. Dude is not projected as a starter in the NBA, but a catch and shoot lights out sharpshooter (even if he never learns to do a single other thing) roleplayer is EXACTLY what we need.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

I'm well aware of how young talent works in the draft. (Even if I didn't, heck it's been hammered down our throats ever since Jalen Green has been... doing whatever he's been doing on the NBA court since game one)

I watched a quick highlight video and honestly I thought he moved really well and looks like he could develop into a great interior shot blocker. Based on a few minute highlight video.

You can imagine my utter shock when I checked the NBL standings to see where his team finished, then saw he put up less than a whimper in his two biggest games of the season. His season averages are also nothing to write home about. (Only had a single game all season with double digit rebounds, and only one other game with 9 rebounds... granted he doesn't play many minutes, which poses more questions on its own. I don't watch the NBL though so I have no understanding if there's any reasons behind any of this).

My biggest fear is if he's drafted, management does so because they're still caught up in the Wemby dreams and aren't thinking clearly, and they end up getting an absolute lemon.

#29 Downtown Sniper, Jun 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
    cml750 likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

If we keep the pick, I’ll be happy with either Sheppard or Sarr. Neither will get many minutes this year, but they both have the potential to become good NBA players. I do think Sarr would garner more trade offers so I hope he drops. I don’t see any way in hell Washington doesn’t take him if available.

raining threes, Dobbizzle and glynch like this.
  11. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Shades of Dragan Bender going a year after Porzingis.

12. cml750

cml750 Member

Sarr scares me. He has a lot of bust potential. If Sheppard is gone and Sarr is still on the board I would draft another one of the guards.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. Amel

Amel Member

imanimal with another quality thread

Imanimal and topfive like this.
  14. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Cleverly disguised "Going to talk bad about a player that I secretly admire" thread

topfive likes this.
  15. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Comparing him to Mobley doesn't help his case ;)

16. BreakYoSelfFool

If the Rockets get Sarr, they won't get stuck with him.The consensus seems to be that he has the highest ceiling in the draft. They could easily trade him, but I seriously doubt they would. He's the type of player that the Rockets have been targeting. Versatile, athletic, high-potential on offense and defense.

With Amen, Sarr, Jabari, and Tari the Rockets would have a solid young group of active and tenacious defenders

Dobbizzle and JusBleezy like this.
  17. nejyh

nejyh Member

Good fear to have in this draft.'.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sarr getting knocked for his team record as a backup?

I love draft time thats when the REAL weirdos come out,

hlmbasketball and raining threes like this.
  19. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

It would be interesting to see if the Wizards start to make the pick for Sarr, but then Wemby comes out of nowhere to block it.

20. vince

vince Member

What an interesting draft to own the #3 pick! With some much disheveled opinions about who should go where. I’m glad the Rockets have demonstrated a keen ability to select quality players with their past few draft classes. Sure some guys leave some unfulfilled potential and a lot to be desired, nonetheless, lot of the onus has to fall on the players themselves; it’s not like the a Rockets aren’t giving their young prospects the tools to succeed.

But this Rockets management has a good track record, which I think is only enhanced by Ume’s keen eye for his vision of the team.

Verbal Christ likes this.