1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FBI launches $1B Facial Recognition program

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dmc89, Sep 9, 2012.

1. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

LOL :grin:

2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

this is both cool and scary.

i wonder how many innocent civilians have had their lives hacked.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Too much information is as useless as no information.

But I don't see why anybody from the Facebook generation would have any privacy concerns anyway since they freely give it away.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Compared to Facebook and Google, I think the FBI is probably way behind the curve. It seems almost ridiculous for us to handicap the FBI in identifying people in images when Corporate America is already routinely doing it and leveraging it for profit. At least the FBI is doing something I mostly want done. If we want to stop the FBI from doing it, we have to stop everyone (which is probably impossible).

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

on the thread listings, it says 1B Facial. Daaamn

1 person likes this.
  6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Between internet history, credit/debit cards, toll booths, security cams, etc. I think we have already sacrificed our privacy. I'm not thrilled about this technology being used but it isn't exactly a game-changer.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There is company that is doing this with facebook pictures. But I believe you need to opt in.

8. Major

Major Member

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this seems like more of an efficiency thing than anything else. I don't have a problem with any of the following:

1. FBI searching for people suspected of a crime
    2. Cameras in public places
    3. FBI looking at data from cameras in public places

All this does is speed up that process dramatically. If the goal is to catch someone suspected of a crime, I don't see why that's a bad thing.

It would be different if there was anything "new" here - cameras being placed in new locations, FBI tracking/searching for people proactively that weren't suspected of anything, etc. But this seems no different than going from paper records to computer records or any other other method of increasing efficiency of doing something.

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I agree. What's next dusting for fingerprints at the crime scene and putting up wanted posters in the post office?

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Doesn't London already use this technology. I think its how they were able to arrest something like 90% of the people breaking into stuff after the riots last year.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Our children learned to find Waldo and we are replacing them with machines. SMH.

Thx obama.

1 person likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Are you guys under the impression that this is some cool new technology? lol

This technology has been in use for some time in a set of countries which I venture would make you far more concerned.

But once again the salient facets of this plan are not supplied neatly in an information sheet to the media, and the media does not give enough of a damn to dig deeper because it makes for good news and protection of "property rights".

13. Dubious

not new technology but probably a much wider availability, much deeper data base, and a lot more computing power

I read somewhere that whomever (NSA?) has bots scrolling through all the social media where pics have identities and is creating a data base of a large percentage of the population of the developed world.

If you could then put an automatic scanning camera at every Customs station world wide or at every highway crossing an International border that could issue instant alerts you'd have something

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Old news. If you have the new version US passport then your biometrics are already in the database. Social media is not reliable and won't be used, I can upload your photo and tag myself.

Technology will get better and was worse. Point: has been in practical use for a few years already globally. This is a new decision, not a technological feat being put to use.

15. Dubious

no, they do facial recognition and cross check it a thousand times per name and face with associations of friends and acquaintances including all your contacts and email to and from. Every labeled picture file on the internet including image storage sites. It's a matrix of information that can say. determine who the back of head is by who else is in the picture or where and when it was taken.

#35 Dubious, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  16. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

............what?

Was posting a slew of aimless, sociopathic paragraphs, devoid of anything that might be mistaken for substance your intention?

17. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

If that's your interpretation of the messages used to manipulate the working class in an Orwellian society, then so be it. Except instead of corporate interests feigning under the veil of democrat or republican propaganda and the blind cheering on, you now have one sole power taking on the role of God. The 1 figure people know they can trust.

Desperation pushes people to accept unfamiliar truths, and in a police state with a tanking economy and no real national identity outside of prosperity, you will witness some radical changes coming up.

Absolutely, radical.

18. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

It's my interpretation of the obscene level of narcissism in your ever sentence. Your confidence makes you no more a prophet than using a Bible as factual evidence to support the existence of God. Any point you think you were making, was lost in vague prophecies, generalizations, and David Koresh type conviction. You even have the same ability to appear coherent long enough to display an understanding of the current status quo.

You might be right if you think that some people don't agree with you because they don't understand. However, others understand and identify your act as what it is: Either a form of troll or a the delusion ranting of a well-read nut job. You're style isn't cute, endearing, or capable of inspiring action. It's tired and lacking any hint of objective reality.

If you want hint at pseudo sciences like Cyclical theory, then come out and say it rather than pretend it's some unique thought in a world were there are none. Come back when you're done using the same old voice. I was the only one bored enough to listen, and I've lost interest.