1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite video game developer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_Bushnell

Nolan Bushnell did more for video games that Ralph Baer ever did.. I learned that from TV :D

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

How did Activision not make that list? They're making my list based on nothing more than the Tony Hawk Pro-Skater series.

For me, it probably goes something like:
    1. EA - The Sims, Madden, Live, Freedom Fighters, SSX, NBA Street, 007
    2. Square-Enix - Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest
    3. Activision - Tony Hawk's Pro-Skater, Doom, Quake, Call of Duty

#42 DarkHorse, Dec 1, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I think making the first video game... ever is probably a tad more important ;-)

4. noize

noize Contributing Member

Konami
    Capcom
    Sega
    Sony

I'm quickly losing interest in Sqaure/Enix here. They got nothing new out in the past year thats worth mentioning and I've heard some rumors that FF12 is delayed until fall 07 at the least, which was sappose to come out at the end of this year. Other then the FF series what else is great? It has been stale to be honest with you and that they abandoned their better franchise in Chrono-Trigger,Secret of Mana,FF Tactics and Vagrant Story which are all better then the FF series IMO. I would love to see these classic series make a return soon, if not at least come up with something fresh and new instead of relying too much on FF.

5. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Well by that account you should be giving thanks to a group of students at MIT, including Steve Russell they programmed a game called Spacewar on the then-new DEC PDP-1 in 1961 ;)

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

[​IMG]

Good times.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

No? You really don't think so? Many innovations in games today can be directly attributed to Nintendo. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I'll have to disagree with that. Nintendo transformed video games from an obscure, geeky hobby to a worldwide phenomenon. A few things Nintendo did for the video game industry:

1) Marketing: Probably the most important. Before Nintendo, video game characters were merely a few pixels moving around the screen. Nintendo gave a face to it's video game characters. The only reason Mario has a mustache is because it gave the character a facial feature. Nintendo created characters that people actually cared about, that people wanted to see succeed...

2) Music: Mainly due to hardware and software limitations, music was unheard of in video games before Nintendo. With Nintendo, music was a part of the gaming experience. Who couldn't hum the Super Mario Bros. theme right now?

3) Plot: Did anybody really BEAT an Atari game? You just played an Atari game for an hour and turned it off. Nintendo games actually had a reason to play. Save the Princess, destroy Mother Brain, defeat that stupid looking eggplant guy.

4) Continuation: Zelda was the first game to have a battery backup, so you could continue where you left off last time. This pretty much created the role playing game.

5) Competition: Nintendo was so much better than the Atari, so much more advanced, that it forced other companies to try and be better. The first one was Sega, which created the Master System that was utlimately defeated by the NES, which led to the development of the Genesis, forcing Nintendo to develop the SNES, which resulted in Sega developing the Sega CD, which resulted in Nintendo and Sony's failed partnership in a CD Drive that ultimately led to the Playstation, which led to the N64 and Saturn, and so on. The whole concept of "console wars" and "next generation consoles" can be traced back to Nintendo.

6) Peripherals: Nintendo created the Power Pad, which has developed into the dancing games that have made billions worldwide. They also created wireless technology for controllers, revolutionized light gun technology, created the first force feedback for controllers, and was the first company to use an analog stick on it's controllers

7) Portable gaming: Two words: Game Boy...that's a whole post in an of itself...

The importace of Nintendo the the video game industry really can NOT be overstated, when you think about it...