1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite video game developer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

DUDE! I'm not alone! i thought I was the only Monkey Island fan on this board! :)

Sucks they decided to not make the next installment of it. I was really looking forward to it. But there is a chance it may come back to life in the future.

2. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I have to go with Blizzard, no doubt. They don't make my favorite games, but I've never played anything that wasn't totally awesome from them. They always put out quality stuff. I buy most of what they put out (no WoW though), and I also buy everything that id makes. I haven't gotten Quake 4 yet, but I will get it eventually.

Hey guys, my friend is doing a research project for a class and I was wondering if y'all could fill out the survey. It's really short -- about computer games and gaming habits. One question is "who is your favorite game developer" :)

http://www.yvlite.com/survey/public/survey.php?name=PC_Game_Customer_survey

#22 Vengeance, Nov 30, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Sega is dead to me.

For the reasons mentioned above, old Lucasarts was a god among developers. Nintendo software has rarely disappointed me. I give Bungie credit for Halo; the multiplayer is extremely enjoyable.

I'd felt less about Square-Enix, until Dragon Quest 8. It's very much old-school RPG goodness. Ubisoft's Splinter Cell run are some of the best stealth games in existence.

Nippon-Ichi has been responsible for some of the quirky SRPGs of late; Disgaea and Makai Kingdom, for example. They have been enjoyable and certainly give you your money's worth.

Insomniac's Ratchet and Clank series is outstanding. Retro's update of Metroid is awesome.

For the old PC gamer in me; anything Sid Meier, Bioware's old stuff, the joy that used to be Quake and Doom, and that Microprose connection (X-Com).

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Blizzard
    Dice
    GearBox

To name a few I like.

DD

PS. A company I started in 1996 and sold to Microsoft in 2001 is being shut down by MS, a very sad day.

Digital Anvil is no more......Goodbye Starlancer, Freelancer, & Brute Force.

DD

5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I hit up your friend's survery Veng.

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Thanks arkoe, and anyone else who fills out the survey. It is much appreciated. If I find out any interesting results from my friend, I'll post them.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Midway. For all the sports games with a "z" on the end, i.e. "Blitz."

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

maybe a stupid question but activision is also a game developer right?

i like.
    Ubi soft and bioware and konami (pro evolution soccer)

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

creator of two of maybe five or six games that were actually decent on the Atari 2600

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Cool i didn't know that A-train. One question what is the name of the second game? (the first one is jump man right?). I loved that game.

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

:::hangs head in dissapointment:::

Sorry arno, but you're no longer allowed to post in video game threads again. :D

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I have to go Microsoft #1 because I wouldn't be playing video games if it wasn't for Halo. Just a fun game to have.

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

John Carmack and Sid Meier.

15. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

As mentioned, yeah, they're a developer. Some of their studios include Neversoft (Tony Hawk series as well as GUN IIRC), Vicarious Visions (mostly a handheld developer for games like Spider-man and Tony Hawk), Infinity Ward (Call of Duty), Raven Software (X-men legends, think they made Quake IV as well with help from iD), and Treyarch (some of the recent Spider-man games). They also tend to publish most of iD's games, although I believe iD is still independent. They probably publish some of other games as well from other studios, but the iD games stick in my head.

16. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll have to go with this:

1) Blizzard- WoW is awesome, Diablo 2, is still heavily played by many (as it was a great game), Warcraft, Starcraft... everything they put out is high quality.

2) EA - As much as I hate to say it, I play a lot of EA games. Madden, MVP, even the NHL series. Also they now do Command and Conquer which I love.

3) Square- Love the FF series (I still play VII occasionally), and really enjoyed the Secret series (Man, evermore) on the old SNES.

4) I would bundle several companies at 4. Microsoft, Nintendo, BioWare, and Midway. I play and like some of the games they produce but I don't have many loyalties to the companies like I do with 1-3.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Out of the choices presented, I would go with:

1. Nintendo- over the years, no developer has given me more enjoyment. Heck, I saw a commercial for the new Mario Soccer game (Mario Strikers?) last night and wanted to play it. I went through my phase where Nintendo was too 'kiddy', but I'm older now, and heck, they're video games, after all; the bottom line is fun.

2. Square-Enix- This company is responsible for most of the best RPGs out there.

3. MS Studios- Quality stuff. And it better be, with the cash they have.

4. Ubisoft- Pretty much anything they make now is quality.

Honorable mention goes to Capcom for all of the quarters they've earned from me with their Street Fighter series, and for that matter, Midway and Mortal Kombat. Also getting honorable mention is 3DO/New World Computing for their Heroes of Might and Magic games, which I still play to this day.

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I hit up the survey too, would be interested in hearing some end results... like to know where my gaming falls in with the rest of the pack.

19. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Nintendo... by a landslide. Without Nintendo, we'd still be playing Asteroids.

20. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I highly doubt that... I believe you should thank Ralph Baer before anyone else. Video games came along long before Nintendo, Nintendo didn't revolutionize the gaming industry or anything, they were just the first to get true financial backing.