1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Sports Local Radio Station

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRaiderRocket, Sep 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I like CP a lot, but Matt Jackson wins at radio. I find myself listening to 610 a lot more now because the afternoon is my time to listen and MattJ is just great. I wish they'd pair him back up with Adam though. :( Even though I don't always agree with either of them they both are very entertaining and actually have a lot of sports knowledge and are capable of analyzing things instead of just spouting off about them.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

jonesing for texan talk yesterday on my way to lunch, i flipped over to justice... oh, boy.

in a long, rambling, at least 6-minute, caller-free segment, justice, who sounds like he's broadcasting from a bunker after a nuclear attack, veered from topic to topic with the subtle smoothness of a drunk driver. he sniffs, clears his throat and generally sounds like he's being interviewed, which is to say he has no personality at all. "uhm"s and "ah"s dotted his speech as he stumbled and bumbled talking about not the texans but astros... my god, is he terrible.

i have no idea if it was just a slow day (the texans had only posted the 2nd or 3rd biggest win in franchise history, so, not much really to talk about) or what, but it felt like death. and if it's always like that, he'll be gone in a month.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

his only strength is bringing in interviews.

the day after purpura and garner were fired he had McLane, Gammons and Stark on to talk about it. that was good stuff.

but by himself, he can't carry a show. i'm with you on that. he sounds very uncomfortable.

4. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I agree, he seems to be well connected. Nice guy who has made friends.

that's how this country works, you know the right people you can be lazy as hell.

5. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

610, but Jeremy Foster annoys me.

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Sports radio in Houston sucks in general....a lot of it has to do with the quality of callers. I guess Ive been jaded listening to NY sports talk...and even tho they love the yanks/mets/giants and jets (which is annoying), the hosts are very knowledgable and the fans are extremely knowledgable and passionate....thats what makes good sports talk. The only time I hear the hosts or callers get passionate is when they discuss high school football....very sad.

A lot of it, IMO, points back to the fact that Houston is not a very good sports town (keep in mind i love the rockets and astros...and the Texans are growing on me)

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

While I disagree with the rest of your post, I agree about the quality of callers. I'd much rather listen to interviews or the hosts read e-mails than some of those idiots. A guy called in this morning saying we should confuse Peyton Manning by starting AJ at CB. Wow.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I have officially given up on 1560. Their signal hasn't improved at all since the day they started up.

Sorry, guys. You had your chance.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

part of the problem, though, is that none of the hosts here have a long enough leash (or big enough balls) to hold their callers to a higher standard. some of these callers can barely string together coherent sentences and their chatter is littered with grammar that could use a few more years of seasoning. they then top it off with inane comments, giving the entire enterprise a black eye - how or why are these people getting on air? i'd be fired within 65 seconds of my first call if i ever had a show.

anyway, the hosts should police that better; be more blunt and direct and less accomodating. as i understand it, they do that sort of thing on the east coast; the tolerance level is much lower and they're not afraid to insult and hang-up on people if they earn such treatment.

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

exactly...and that is the Program Directors/station mgrs fault...go to WFAN.com and listen to Mike and the Mad Dog from 12-5 cst any given day...but especially after a big Red Sox Yankee game or managerial blowup...or any big story that arises from around the country....its a different league. Mike and the dog will even attack Joe Torre's decisions on occasion (during an interview with him)...or they will go to town on the GM of the NY Rangers because he isnt winning.....and u know what? They take it bc they respect the opinions of the hosts (and fans) during he interviews (and sometimes it turns into a full fledged barroom sports argument...and its great radio).

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I also think the gatekeepers on local sports radio have encouraged the hysterical Vince Young crap at the expense of something interesting. Rich Lord should be cast down into the 9th circle of hell for this.