1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite soccer player?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RedRedemption, Jul 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

My fav. all time:

Gullit and Zidane

Currently playing:

Ozil

I generally like playmakers.

Gullit was was a great playmaker, was strong, had excellent ball control/dribbling skills, and could score goals when needed. Also, since most of my friends liked Maradona, I rooted for Gullit and AC Milan. Rooted for other Milan players as well...Baresi, Van basten, Rijkard, Maldini..

Physically, Zidane was like Gullit. Both were big and strong, and it was hard to dispossess them of the ball. Zidane had a different style though. More elegant. A guy of his size shouldn't have been able to have the body control that he did. His first touch and ball control was out of this world. Some great performances in World cup against Brazil. He pretty much controlled the tempo against a Braziian midfield, has won on every level, and has head butted multiple foes. Legendary!

Ozil is a lighter version of Zidane to me, both physically and skillwise. He sees the play develop before others do but more importantly has the skills to deliver the passes. His first touch is fantastic and so are his change of direction/change of pace skills. However, IMO, he is not as good finisher as the other two. He should be scoring more goals. Also he either seems to lack stamina or just seems disinterested at times. Its frustrating to watch him at times but his style of play is so unique that I try to watch him play whenever I get a chance.

2. il italiano

il italiano Member

better than messi and ronaldo? Neymar isnt even in the conversation.

3. likestohypeguy

The one on the Brazilian women's team, who kind of looks like an angry little man.

4. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Messi, CR7, Iniesta?:rolleyes:

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Drogba because he is legendary. But my favorite player was and still is Michael Essien, the Bison. When he was healthy and fit, he was a force on the field.

6. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Well, I just think Bale is a more complete package than everyone of them. I can definitely understand though if you do not agree.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The football world doesn't agree.

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Lol like REEKOHTOWN noted, it's not just us. It's the entire Football world outside of the North East London area.

Bale can be your favourite player but please don't go telling people in public or on forums that you think he is the best player in the world. It won't end well.
    Especially if you go w/ taking him over Neymar as opposed to mentioning Messi or Ronaldo-the two best players in the world over the past few years.

Anyway, Spurs fan?

9. ferrari77

GET IT CORRECT! It's WondoWlowski !

10. ferrari77

By me excellent powers of deducing-ing, I can tell you're of Croatian heritage.

Boban I get. That means I think, that you watched him in his heyday in the mid 90s. How you gonna then mention Prso and even Eduardo but no Sukerman?

I don't think I've ever met or known a croatian that didn't rever Suker. I mean Prso and Eduardo but no Suker love?? Come on mayne!:(

11. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

Ask every Croatian in the world and they'll say you this: Davor Šuker as a player - genius, Šuker as a person - scumbag. He was my favorite player back in the day, a fantastic scorer and I'll never forget his lob goal over Peter Schmeichel, but the man has tarnished his legacy like no other. He is currently the head of Croatian football federation, one of the most corrupted organizations in Croatia, and he's orchestrating it. Šuker is a cheapskate like no other and an egomaniac that calls himself a brand. Completely delusional and ridiculous.

On the other hand, Boban has always been a gentleman and I enjoy hearing him as an analyst for Sky Italia.
    Pršo was the best player of his generation and saved our asses a bunch of times + he scored 4 goals in a Champions League match. He's from my hometown and everyone who knows him says he's a great person.
    Dudu came to Croatia as a humble 15-year-old kid and few believed he could be something special, but he proved them all wrong and dominated the Croatian League as a Dinamo player. Even rival fans enjoyed watching him play. Then he moved to Arsenal and was playing great, got into the starting 11 until that butcher from Birmingham broke his leg. Eduardo lost that killer instinct afterwards and that's a real shame because he was a star in the making.
    Niko Kranjčar played for the two biggest clubs and fierce rivals in Croatia, Dinamo and Hajduk, but no one holds a grudge against him. Such a smart, decent and likable guy, a favorite of almost every football fan here.

12. ferrari77

All good, you're also looking at how the player is off the field.
    I forget that about Kranjcar. That is crazy no one on either side hates him. Like moving between Rangers and Celtic or Everton-Liverpool and no one hating the person. Good for Kranjcar.

13. LoganRoxFan

LoganRoxFan Member

Maybe the most complete player in the world. I couldn't agree more.

14. ferrari77

I felt that way when he was on the come up with Cote D'Ivoire and in Belgium and Greece and Barca so I think out of every signing City's new regime made after the Abu Dhabi group purchase, the signing of Yaya pained me the most as a United and a Yaya fan. Him and Kompany. Huge fans of both those lads and I hate seeing them in City blue. Ugh.

15. bmthint

bmthint Member

Steven Gerrard unquestionably. One of the most complete footballers ever. Could play any position on the pitch.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/veKx_gJavuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The entire champions league run was magical, especially the final, but none of that would have happened with out this goal.

16. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Saw him a few weeks ago at the Blue Marlin in Ibiza. A friend had a brief chat with him.

18. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

#58 hashmander, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

The proper etiquette would be to tell us what happened, what did they talk about, and pics pls.

20. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

bastian schweinsteiger