1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Rockets Game Moment of ALL TIME.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by killahflip, Feb 22, 2001.

1. killahflip

killahflip Contributing Member

ok...soo no celebrating-after-the- championship type moments. i'm talkin about a game situation type stuff. there's lot of fond memories...but the one moment (and what really defines "clutch city") is gotta be mario elie's "kiss of death" 3-pointer against pheonix...damn i wish i could see that game again.

------------------
    if your wondering..killah=killer and flip=filipino..so please stop askin'..ohh and go rocks!!

2. Toast

Toast Member

I like any game in the 94-95 Western Conference Finals when Dream showed The Admiral and everyone else in the league who the real MVP was.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

Get DirecTV. It's on NBA TV every
    twenty minutes or so [​IMG]

I'd have to go with Ralph Sampson's shot to beat the "Showtime" Lakers.

------------------

4. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

* Vernon Maxwell falling out of bounds and banking in a three-pointer against Golden State in 1992.

* Otis Thorpe scoring 40 against, I think, Sacramento in 1990 or 91; I remember him hitting a three out of the corner. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

* Sampson's tap-in against the Lakers.

* The 30-second-long final 13 seconds against Utah in 1994.

* Scoring 140 on Utah in Game 2, 1995.

* Clyde and Hakeem each putting up 40 against Utah in Game 4, 1995.

* Losing Game 3 at home against the Spurs in 1995 (my brother graduated from high school that night and I can still remember sitting in the back seat of the car as we drove home listening to the game).

* Eddie Johnson's buzzer beater against the Jazz, 1997.

------------------
    I take her to the aquarium, she says shark,

I take her to the planetarium, she says dark.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely, Sampson's in the air catch and shot to beat the Lakers.A couple of friends and I were in Dan Patrick's and had been drinking up a good sized tab.When Ralph hit that shot the place exploded and so did we...high fives all around the whole place.We were so excited, we ran out side without thinking and got halfway to Fizz(nightclub),before we realized we hadn't covered the tab....man .. [​IMG]

------------------
    the fan formerly known as.... Hardwood Hammer

6. killahflip

killahflip Contributing Member

good choice toast...but i was looking more for that "one" moment. like if you could freeze-frame that one moment in time of the game..what would it be? that game against the spurs doesn't really count cuz it pretty much was throughout the whole game (and what a game). that would be just another thread titled "Hakeem-just-opened-a-can-of-whoop-a$$-on-the-admiral."

------------------
    if your wondering..killah=killer and flip=filipino..so please stop askin'..ohh and go rocks!!

7. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

I'll never forget a game most people don't even remember. It wasn't a playoff game or anything, but it came against a team that we just couldn't beat to save our lives: the Los Angelos Lakers. We went to double overtime with them and Rudy T sank a 35 foot jumper (not heave!) - nothing but net as time ran out on the second overtime. Wow! What a rush that game ending was, especially over the much hated Lakers.

I'd be curious as to if others recall that game or not.

[This message has been edited by Tom Archer (edited February 22, 2001).]

8. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

It was in 1995 a regular season game at Denver. Pete Chilcut comes out of nowhere and slams home a miss shot so hard that my dad and me just stood their shocked in disbelief. That Chilly Pete rim-rattler was an inspiration for all white men on street basketball courts everywhere.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited February 22, 2001).]

9. jamma34

jamma34 Member

10. tod the bod

tod the bod Contributing Member

Eddie Johnston's shot against the Jazz and Ralph Sampson's turnaround shot against the Lakers were the two biggest shots that I have ever seen the Rockets make.

The only other shot that really sticks out in my mind, is a layup that Mike Duleavy made against the Celtics in the first championship series where he brought the ball around his back. It was truly awesome.

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

BK, I was at that game. Sitting in the first row that wasn't a floor seat. Easily the greatest play I've ever seen in person.

------------------
    In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Top 10:

1. Sampson Turnaround - Lakers
    2. Elie - Kiss of Death
    3. Maxwell - 3 on Knicks
    4. Dream Blocks KJ
    5. Olajuwon tap in - Orlando
    6. Rudy T. "heart of Champion" speech
    7. Olajuwon blocks starks 3 to seal win
    8. Olajuwon 3 to finish Orlando
    9. Drexler gathers hopeless team, down 8 to utah with minutes remaining, and tells the team to believe. He then delivers by stripping stockton and going coast to coast. Hitting several more big shots along the way.
    10. Buck Johnson - Manning - Back to back half court shots

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

13. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Mine has to be in game 6 against the Knicks. My sisters boyfriend and I had camped out all night for tix to that game. We were sitting under the basket in the fourth when Maxwell drained his 3 to put the Rockets ahead for good. I can still see it in slow motion. As the shot left his hand I knew it was going in. We had a great angle on it and when the ball left his hand I stood up with my arms in the air \o/ . My friend jumped up and picked me up over his head and everyone was going nuts. Then Hakeem blocked Starks shot and the game was over. The only thing that stinks is that we got home too late to camp for game 7 tix. My friends brother did and got to see that game.

CK

------------------
    Quote of the year:
    "Look it's George Jefferson"
    Charles Barkley commenting on Nuggets coach John Lucas.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That awesome play by Olajuwon when he spun around Patrick Ewing, leaving him with his feet in concrete, and then gracefully laying the ball in the basket, as only Dream can do.... all Ewing could do was look for his jock.

------------------
    "Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    Work like you don't need money, love like
    you've never been hurt, and dance like no
    one's watching."

15. haven

haven Member

I have three moments:

1. Elie's "Kiss of death"
    2. Hakeem making Robinson look like a midshipman
    3. Hakeem's shot in 95 (I think?) to beat the Mavs. I think he scored like 50 that day, and there was only 1 second left, so he caught the inbounds in mid-air, and just threw it in from the free throw line. Most dominating performance I've seen him give.

------------------
    Why is it that everytime BC defeats a major conference opponent, that opponent promptly goes on a losing streak?

PS. Notre Dame sucks

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not a great Rocket moment, but when Larry Bird hit the 3 against the Rockets in the 81 playoffs to thwart the Rockets comeback and seal the game and series for the Celtics, that broke my heart and took all the air out of the Summit, but that was a great basketball moment.

------------------

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I have 3 also.

1. Kenny Smith's 3pointer to send game 1 into overtime
    2. Olajuwons move on D.Rob in the 95 W.C.F.
    3. Francis dunk on Sabonis (instant classic)

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

18. Valio!

Valio! Member

It's gotta be the Sampson shot. That was an absolute miracle. And to see the Lakers just lying on the court afterwards, completely crushed! Wondering what the hell happened! It was almost a perfect year... Damn those Celtics!

------------------
    "Weathermen are simply con-artists with radar equipment. A 50 percent chance of rain? That's the same as saying 'maybe, maybe not.' I could tell you that!" - P. Mesku

19. Stan Gable

Stan Gable Member

I don't remeber exactly what year, but I think it was during our second championship season, Maxwell sank a game winner in SA, and it took Rudy like three extra seconds to react. When he finally did, he went running across the court towards Maxwell with his arms flailing and his hair going in all directions. Hilarious.

------------------

20. houskets

houskets Member

My Favorite moment was during a game where Charles Barkley Picked Shaquille Up and slammed him to the floor...I stood up and just looked at the replays in amazement, from then on Barkley has become one of my favorite rockets of all time...just thinking about that again...I'm still amazed

------------------