1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Rocket clutch moment

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JamesC, Jul 21, 2002.

1. JamesC

JamesC Member

With not much happening so far in the off-season, I was wondering what is your favorite all time rocket clutch moment or performance?

My favorite clutch moment is Eddie Johnson's 3 pointer against the Jazz.

My favorite clutch performance Kenny Smith's seven 3 pointers against Orlando in game 1 of the Finals.

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Kenny's pump-fake on Penny & then his game tying 3-pointer in Game 1 of the 1995 Finals against to send it into OT baby. That was huge!

3. JamesC

JamesC Member

I forgot about Mario Elie's "kiss of death", That was classic.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Ralph over the Lake show!!!

I don't remeber it, but anything beating the Lake-bombs has got to be worth something.

My true favorite has gotta be Mario for three....Suns get embarrassed again.

5. wizard

wizard Member

Eddie Johnson's 3 pter followed by Elies kiss of death. After that Kenny's shot was sweet too. Afetr that, I'll take horry's 2 pter in the spurs series after he scored maybe 0 pts in that game.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

When I scored during halftime of the Rockets first championship.
    I would say that's pretty Clutch.. :)

7. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Well, I only have been following the Rockets for about 3 years, so I never got to see those greats clutch moments live. :(
    Out of those 3 years, Steve's GW shot against Utah comes to mind. It really wasn't THAT clutch, but it was against the Jazz.
    :p

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

During the 15-game win streak at the beginning of 93-94, I remember Vernon Maxwell hitting 3 consecutive 3s to win and keep the streak alive. Was that Cleveland?

Max's 3 in NY was sweet to win.

But you can't touch the kiss of death.

9. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

dg----Too bad you don't remember that shot because it was both sweet and HUGE ! The Rockets had lost game 1 to the mighty Lakers but had come back with 3 wins in a row. It was in LA and Robert Reid had just tied the game with a huge 3. Rockets' ball with just enough time to re-direct(not catch)the inbounds pass. Ralph,back to the basket,does exactly that as the ball bounces up off the rim and back through. The crowd is STUNNED. The Rockets go nuts. The classic shot of Michael Cooper collapsing flat on his back,holding his hands over his head with that look of utter disbelief at the thought of losing the WCF to these young upstart Rockets.

They went on to lose to a really strong '86 Celtic team but Ralph's shot marked a moment in time when that Rocket team seemed poised to claim a few 80's championships. They had arrived. Unfortunately cocaine's influence on the team and Ralph's knees prevented that from happening. Those of us that saw the moment and the days that followed it in H-town won't forget the incredible high the city was riding!

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Hakeems block of the 3 point attempt to seal it. Hakeem's D was so clutch.

11. BullFan

BullFan Member

I have to go with Ralph's shot over the Lakers

They just replayed the game on NBA.com TV yesterday afternoon. It still brings a chill to my spine.

12. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the only history you have with the Rockets is the last three crappy years, and from that only you call yourself a fan, well you are a good man RC.

You are going to love the future!

13. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

I think in SA during 93-94 season...to goto 23-1, Vernon hit a buzzer beater. That was sweet.

14. A-Franchise

A-Franchise Member

I've been following the rockets for about 3 yrs now and out of those 3 yrs i think that the best clutch moment was in the 2000-2001 season when the rockets were playing NY and were down since the beggining and in the 4th quarter we out-scored the knicks and cat hit a shot in the last couple of seconds and we won the game by one!

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Ralph's shot against the Lakers was unbelievable.
    The Kiss of Death was my second favorite clutch moment.It was a real stunner.
    Eddie Johnson's shot against the Jazz was a great shot and was my 3rd favorite clutch moment.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks, SA Rocket. That was an amazing moment that I'll never forget. There are so many... you just have to give your head a shake! :)

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

1. Eddie's shot against the Jazz
    2. Moochie catches "Mad Cow" against the Pacers
    3. Olajuwon tip in against the Magic
    4.Kenny Smith's 3 in game 1 of the 95 finals
    5.Francis three against Utah this year.

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I think that was the Heat. Max hit a shot almost from halfcourt to send it to overtime then the Rockets kept the streak alive.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tough tough call.

I would say #1 would be Ralph's shot to win against the Lakers, then Mario's Kiss of Death comes in 2nd.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

there was nothing clutch about Ralph's shot. That was a blind shot; it was a catch, toss blind and pray. Please.

Are we talking "Miracle Shots" or "Clutch Shots".

#20 heypartner, Jul 21, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2002